Report of the Meeting of the Joint Steering Committee, 7 November 2012

| 0 TrackBacks
The Joint Steering Committee spent most of the day in executive sessions.

In the morning we met with the Committee of Principals.  The JSC chair reported on the group's activities since last year's meeting in Glasgow (an updated version of this report will be issued as the Annual Report of the JSC shortly after the end of the year).  The CoP gratefully accepted Barbara Tillett's offer to complete her term as JSC Chair through the end of 2013.  The two groups had a wide-ranging discussion on relations between RDA and the linked open data community and making RDA interoperate in that environment; possibilities for the future composition of the JSC; and some options for providing support for JSC activities.  Announcements on some of these issues will be made soon.

At lunchtime, the JSC took their annual photos commemorating the meeting.

JSC1211_1.jpg

Left-right: Christine Frodl (DNB), BIll Leonard (CCC), Barbara Tillett (LC, chair), Gordon Dunsire (CILIP -- on the laptop), John Attig (ALA), Judy Kuhagen (secretary), Alan Danskin (BL), Kevin Marsh (ACOC)

During the brief public session after lunch, the JSC dealt with agenda items 15 (Number of records) and 18 (Expressions other than music).


NUMBER OF RECORDS


6JSC/ISSN/1: Revision of RDA 1.6.2.2 and RDA 3.1.6.1 regarding change in media type for serials

The JSC agreed to revisions to 1.6.2.2 and to 3.1.6.1, both based on the wording proposed by LC.

6JSC/ISSN/3: Serials and changes in mode of issuance: Discussion paper

The JSC encouraged the ISSN Network to submit a proposal dealing with changes in mode of issuance; JSC will forward to them the comments that were included in the constituency responses.

6JSC/ISSN/2: Major title changes for serials in Chinese, Japanese, and Korean: Discussion paper

The JSC looks forward to seeing the results of any testing conducted by the ISSN Network and to a proposal dealing with major title changes for serials in Chinese, Japanese, and Korean.  The JSC will forward to them the comments that were included in the constituency responses, including a recommendation that the current instruction be retained and that the revision only deal with titles in CJK.


EXPRESSIONS (OTHER THAN MUSIC)


6JSC/EURIG/2: Date of expression (RDA 6.10.1.1 and 6.10.1.3)

The JSC disagreed with the approach proposed by EURIG.  We accepted the revision to the scope of Date of Expression (6.10.1.1) proposed by LC, but recognize that this is only a first step; it will help catalogers to apply the instructions, but it will not provide additional granularity of dates that might be used for machine matching.  BL indicated their intention to prepare a new proposal to define sub-types for date of expression as outlined in the BL response to 6JSC/EURIG/2.

6JSC/EURIG/3: Language of expression (RDA 6.11, 6.11.1.3, 6.11.1.4, 7.;12.1.3, 26.1.1.3)

6.11: The JSC agreed that Language of Expression should be a core element unconditionally; the core element note will be deleted at 6.11, leaving only the "Core Element" caption.

The JSC disagreed with the remainder of the proposal.  BL again indicated their intention to prepare a new proposal to define sub-types for Language of Expression as outlined in the BL response to 6JSC/EURIG/3.

6JSC/EURIG/1: Addition of examples in RDA 6.12.1.3 and 6.27.3

The BL representative withdrew the proposal on behalf of EURIG.  It was agreed to add examples of non-musical performances to 6.12.1.3 and 6.27.3 (as Fast Track proposals). It was not clear where examples of musical performances would be given in 6.18 and/or 6.28; the RDA Music Working Group will be asked to look at this and other issues involving these instructions.

Thursday morning, the JSC will take up the proposals dealing with Music and with Works other than music.  Since we have already completed the Thursday afternoon agenda, we plan to deal with the proposals relating to corporate bodies (agenda item 20) during the afternoon session.




No TrackBacks

TrackBack URL: https://blogs.psu.edu/mt4/mt-tb.cgi/391060

Recent Entries

Report of the Meeting of the Joint Steering Committee, 8 November 2012
At its meeting on Thursday, the Joint Steering Committee completed action on the remaining items on the public agenda. This…
Report of the Meeting of the Joint Steering Committee, 7 November 2012
The Joint Steering Committee spent most of the day in executive sessions.In the morning we met with the Committee of…
Report of the Meeting of the Joint Steering Committee, 6 November 2012
The JSC meeting continued this morning with a discussion of some miscellaneous documents dealing with issues related to the RDA…