Recent News from Complex Systems Lab
- 11/2020, A new research project is sponsored by Clean Energy Smart Manufacturing Innovation Institute (CESMII) to design and develop novel self-powered sensing and analytical methods for smart manufacturing.
- 10/2020, Featured research in the PSU news - New method enables automated protections for sensitive data.
- 10/2020, Featured research in the IISE Magazine - Detecting mental disorders with sensor-based virtual reality.
- 07/2020, A research project, in collaboration with Argolytics, is sponsored by Manufacturing PA Innovation Program to design and develop sensor-based statistical quality control methods for advanced manufacturing.
- 06/2020, A research project on breast cancer, in collaboration with the Susan G. Komen foundation, is highlighted on the National Science Foundation IUCRC website.
- 05/2020, Congratulations! Siqi Zhang and Runsang Liu will receive the NSF INTERN scholarship to augment their academic research with industrial training in Summer 2020 with the IoT and AI group at IBM Thomas J. Watson Research Center.
- 04/2020, Congratulations! Farhad Imani will join the University of Connecticut as an asistant professor, starting in Fall 2020.
- 03/2020, a new NSF RAPID grant to model novel coronavirus for spread mitigation.
- 02/2020, Congratulations! Cheng-bang Chen will join the University of Miami as an asistant professor, starting in Fall 2020.
- 10/2019, Featured research in the IISE Magazine - Internet of things, analytics usher in new generation of smart manufacturing.
- 09/2019, a new grant from National Institute of Standards and Technology to study Additive Manufacturing ontology and analytics.
- 08/2019, a new NSF grant to study how glycosylation disrupts the harmony of muscle cell activity in the heart.
- 08/2019, Featured research in the IISE Magazine - "Big data" help delivery of smart healthcare in intensive care units.
- 03/2019, Congratulations! Bing Yao accepts the position as an Assistant Professor in the Department of Industrial Engineering and Management at the Oklahoma State University.
- 02/2019, Congratulations! Adam Meyers received the NSF INTERN scholarship to augment his academic research with industrial training in Summer 2019 with the IoT and AI group at IBM Thomas J. Watson Research Center.
- 02/2019, Featured research in IISE Magazine - a new wireless gait-sensing system to track the locomotion dynamics of assisted-living facilities residents and aid in the screening and detection of progressive dementia conditions,
Dr. Yang announced that IISE CIS society changes its name to
Data Analytics and Information Systems (DAIS).
- 02/2018, Healthcare Analytics book is named "book of the month" and reviewed in the
February issue of ISE Magazine.
- 09/2017, Dr.
Yang will serve as an Associate Editor of IEEE Transactions on Automation Science and Engineering, as well as IEEE Robotics and Automation Letters (RA-L).
Congratulations! Ruimin Chen received the NSF INTERN scholarship to augment her academic research
with training opportunities in the Healthcare and Life Science group at IBM Thomas J. Watson Research Center.
- 05/2017, Congratulations!
Chen Kan accepts the position as an Assistant
Professor of Industrial, Manufacturing, & Systems Engineering at the
University of Texas at Arlington.
Bing Yao won the IISE Health Systems Best Student Paper Competition at the
IISE Annual Conference 2017 (May 20-23)
for her paper titled "Physical-Statistical Modeling and Regularization of
High-dimensional Dynamical Systems".
- 05/2017, Congratulations! Cheng-Bang
Chen received the Best Paper Award in the Computers and Information Systems
Division at the IISE Annual Conference 2017 (May 20-23) for his paper titled, “A
Novel Pattern-Frequency Tree Approach for Transition Analysis and Anomaly
Detection in Nonlinear and Nonstationary Systems.
Yang chairs the 2017 Sino-US Research Conference on Quality, Analytics and
Innovations, June 26-27, 2017, Beijing, China (Link).
for papers - 2017 Special Issue on Automation Science and Engineering for
Smart and Interconnected Healthcare Delivery Systems, IEEE Transactions on
Automation Science and Engineering (Link).
Yang will serve as an Associate Editor for the Proceedings of
2017 IEEE International Conference on
Automation Science and Engineering (IEEE
Wenxin Tong - an undergraduate student from the Schreyer Honors College -
Erickson Discovery Grant for research in Summer 2017.
Bing Yao, Cheng-Bang Chen, and Chen Kan are
awarded the SRC student scholarship from the
2017 IMS/ASA Spring Research Conference, held on May 17-19 2017, Rutgers
Bing Yao wins the 1st place in the graduate student research poster
competition (Penn State IME, 02/2017).
Farhad Imani and Rui Zhu join
the Complex Systems lab (Spring 2017)!
Bing Yao is selected as a finalist in INFORMS MIF student poster competition at
the INFORMS 2016.
Yang is appointed as an Associate Editor by
the IEEE Journal of Biomedical and Health Informatics.
Chen Kan is a finalist in the Best Student Paper competition, Quality Control
and Reliability Engineering, ISERC 2016.
- A new book is published on
Healthcare Analytics: From Data to
Knowledge to Healthcare Improvement.
- Congratulations! Jenny Mclean from our lab is on the PSU news (Link)!
Yang is selected to be the best reviewer of the year 2015 by IEEE Journal of
Biomedical and Health Informatics.
Yang chairs the 2016 Industrial and Systems Engineering Research Conference
(ISERC), Anaheim, California .
Yang is elected as the chair of the 272+ member Quality, Statistics and
Reliability (QSR) Section, Institute of Operations Research and Management
Yang receives the Harold and Inge Marcus Career Professorship in Engineering
(2015 Penn State IME).
Yang receives the prestigious NSF CAREER award in 2015!
Yang receives the 2015 USF Outstanding Faculty Award.
Yun Chen accepts the position as an Associate
Professor, Dept. of Mechanical Engineering, Jiangsu University of Science and
Gang Liu accepts the position as the
Research Scientist at Arbor Research Center for Health, Ann Arbor, Michigan.
- Congratulations! Dongping Du accepts
the position as an Assistant Professor of Industrial Engineering at the Texas
- Congratulations! Yun Chen received the
Best Paper Award in Computer and Information Systems at
the IIE Annual Conference 2015.
- Congratulations! Yun Chen and Gang Liu
are selected as the Best Student Paper Award Finalist at
the IEEE CASE 2014.
- Congratulations! Dongping received the
first place in the CIEADH Doctoral Colloquium poster
competition at the IIE Annual Conference 2014.
- Congratulations! Gang Liu received the
2014 ISERC Best Student Paper Award in Computer and Information Systems.
- Call for papers - Special Session on
Sensor-based System Informatics and Control at 2014 IEEE International
Conference on Automation Science and Engineering (CASE 2014), August 18-22, Taipai, Taiwan.
- Call for book chapters - Healthcare Data Analytics (Wiley
Series in Operations Research and Management Science).
- Congratulations! Dongping's paper on in-silico cardiac modeling is highlighted as a feature
article in the homepage of IEEE Journal website (Link).
- Call for papers - Springer Journal of
Information Systems and e-Business Management - Special Issue on Healthcare Informatics and
- Dr. Yang is invited to give the opening
keynote talk in the Fifth
International Symposium on Recurrence plots.
- Congratulation! Yun Chen's paper on Self-organized neural network is featured in the cover of the journal
- Physiological Measurement Vol. 33, 2012
- Congratulation! Yun Chen was awarded a
student scholarship from the 2012 IMS/ASA Spring Research Conference, held on
June 13-15, 2012, Harvard University.
- Invited presentation in the 2011
scientific session of American Heart Association.
- Congratulations! Dongping Du
placed first in the IBM Best Student Paper competition at IEEE EMBC 2011.
- PhD student Yun Chen presented his work
at the 2010 INFORMS Annual Meeting, Austin TX.
- Welcome Dongping Du and Chen Kan join
the Complex Systems lab (Fall 2010)!
- Dr. Hui Yang receives the 2010 IERC
Best Track Paper Award in Computer and Information Systems.
- Welcome Yun Chen join the
Complex Systems lab
- Dr. Hui Yang receives the 2009 IERC
Best Track Paper Award in Manufacturing and Design.