- APLNG 579: Seminar in Applied Corpus Linguistics (Fall 2019)
- APLNG 200: Introduction to Language, Culture, and Social
Interaction (Fall 2019; Spring 2020; Spring 2021)
- APLNG 578: Computational and Statistical Methods for Corpus
Analysis (Spring 2021)
- Corpus linguistics and computer assistend language learning
- Corpus-based and genre-based approaches to EAP writing research and pedagogy
- Second language writing and second language acquisition
Peer-reviewed journal articles
- Jin, T., Shi, Z., & Lu, X. (forthcoming). “From novice
storytellers to persuasive arguers”: Learner use of evidence in oral
argumentation. TESOL Quarterly.
- Liao, J., Lu, X., Master, K., Dudek, J., & Zhou, Z. (forthcoming). Telepresence-place-based foreign language learning and its design principles. Computer Assisted Language Learning.
- Peng, J., Wang, C., & Lu, X. (forthcoming). Effect of the
linguistic complexity of the input text on alignment, writing
fluency, and writing accuracy in the continuation task. Language
- Jin, T, Lu, X., & Ni, J. (2020). Syntactic complexity in adapted teaching materials: Differences among grade levels and implications for benchmarking. The Modern Language Journal, 104(1).
- Lu, X., & Deng, J. (2019). With the rapid
development: A contrastive analysis of lexical bundles in
dissertation abstracts by Chinese and L1 English doctoral
students. Journal of English for Academic Purposes, 39,
- Lu, X., & Liu, Y. (2019). Corpus-based research on
formulaic language in academic English and its pedagogical applications. Foreign
Language World, 194(5). [in Chinese]
- Zhang, J., & Lu, X. (2019). Measuring and supporting
second language development using computerized dynamic
assessment. Language and Sociocultural Theory, 6(1), 92-115.
- Lu, X., Kisselev, O., Yoon, J., & Amory,
M. (2018). Investigating effects of criterial
consistency, the diversity dimension, and threshold variation in formulaic language research: Extending the methodological
considerations of O’Donnell et al. (2013). International Journal
of Corpus Linguistics, 23(2), 158-182.
- Lu, X., Yoon, J., & Kisselev, O. (2018). A phrase-frame
list for social science research article
introductions. Journal of English for Academic Purposes,
- Guo, K., Jin, T., & Lu, X. (2018). Research and practice in text adaptation: From readability formulas and multidimensional analyses to data-driven adaptation. Foreign Language Testing and Teaching, (3), 35-43. [in Chinese]
- Jiang, J., Jiang, L., & Lu, X. (2018). Automated
scoring of students' English-to-Chinese translations of three text
types. Journal of Quantitative Linguistics, 25(3),
- Jin, T., & Lu, X. (2018). A data-driven approach to text
adaptation in teaching material preparation: Design, implementation
and teacher professional development. TESOL Quarterly,
- Liao, J., & Lu, X. (2018). Exploring the affordances of
telepresence robots in foreign language learning. Language
Learning and Technology, 22(3), 20-32.
- Lu, X. (2017). Automated measurement of
syntactic complexity in corpus-based L2 writing research and
implications for writing assessment. Language Testing, 34(4), 493-511.
- Lu, X., & Wang, B. P.-Y. (2017). Towards a metaphor-annotated corpus of Mandarin Chinese. Language Resources
and Evaluation, 51(3), 663-694.
- Lu, X., & Xu, Q. (2016). L2 Syntactic Complexity
Analzyer and its applications in L2 writing research. Foreign
Language Teaching and Research, 48(3), 409-420. [in Chinese]
- Lu, X., & Ai, H. (2015). Syntactic
complexity in college-level English writing: Differences among
writers with diverse L1 backgrounds. Journal of Second
Language Writing, 29, 16-27.
- Park, K., & Lu, X. (2015). Automatic analysis of thematic
structure in written English. International Journal of Corpus
Linguistics, 20(1), 81-101.
- Poehner, M. E., Zhang, J., & Lu, X. (2015). Computerized
Dynamic Assessment (C-DA): Diagnosing L2 development according to learner responsiveness to mediation. Language Testing,
- Stevens, R. J., Lu, X., Baker, D. P., Ray, M. N., Eckert,
S. A., & Gamson, D. A. (2015). Assessing
the cognitive demands of elementary school reading curricula: An
analysis of reading text and comprehension tasks from 1910 to
2000. American Educational Research Journal, 52(3), 582-617.
- Yang, W., Lu, X., & Weigle, S. C. (2015). Different
topics, different discourse: Relationships among writing topic,
measures of syntactic complexity, and judgments of writing
quality. Journal of Second Language Writing, 28,
53-67. [Honorable Mention, 2015 JSLW Best Article Award]
- Zhang, X., & Lu, X. (2015). The relationship between vocabulary learning strategies and breadth and depth of vocabulary knowledge. The Modern Language Journal, 99(4), 740-753.
- Lu, X., Gamson, D. A., & Eckert, S. A. (2014). Lexical difficulty and diversity in American elementary school reading textbooks: Changes over the past
century. International Journal of Corpus Linguistics,
- Fernandez, J., Gates Tapia, A., & Lu, X.
(2014). Oral proficiency and pragmatic marker use in L2 spoken
Spanish: The case of pues and bueno. Journal of
Pragmatics, 74, 150-164.
- Hartig, A. J., & Lu, X. (2014). Plain
English and legal writing: Comparing expert and novice
writers. English for Specific Purposes, 33(1), 87-96.
- Zhang, X., & Lu, X. (2014). A
longitudinal study of receptive vocabulary breadth knowledge growth
and vocabulary fluency development. Applied Linguistics,
- Gamson, D. A., Lu, X., & Eckert, S. A. (2013). Challenging
the research base of the common core state standards: A historical
reanalysis of text complexity. Educational Researcher,
- Zhang, J., & Lu, X. (2013). Variability in Chinese as a
Foreign Language learners' development of the Chinese numeral
classifier system. The Modern Language Journal, 97(s1), 46-60.
- Lu, X. (2012). The
relationship of lexical richness to the quality of ESL learners'
oral narratives. The Modern Language Journal, 96(2), 190-208. [Lexical Complexity Analyzer]
- Thorne, S. L., Fischer, I., & Lu, X. (2012).
The semiotic ecology and linguistic complexity of an online game
world. ReCall, 24(3), 279-301.
- Lu, X. (2011). A
corpus-based evaluation of syntactic complexity measures as indices of
college-level ESL writers' language development. TESOL
Quarterly, 45(1), 36-62.
- Lu, X. (2010). Automatic
analysis of syntactic complexity in second language
writing. International Journal of Corpus Linguistics,
15(4), 474-496. [L2 Syntactic Complexity Analyzer]
- Lu, X. (2009). Automatic
measurement of syntactic complexity in child language
acquisition. International Journal of Corpus Linguistics,
14(1), 3-28. [D-Level Analyzer]
- Lu, X. (2008). Improving
part-of-speech guessing of Chinese unknown words using hybrid
models. International Journal of Corpus Linguistics, 13(2),
- Lu, X. (2008). Hybrid
models for sense guessing of Chinese unknown
words. International Journal of Corpus Linguistics,
- Lu, X. (2007). A hybrid model for Chinese word
segmentation. Journal for Language Technology and Computational
Linguistics, 22(1), 71-88.