FOM: June 1 - June 24, 1999

FOM: impressions of CTA talks; Shlapentokh's talk

Dear FOM,

I want to clear up one point about my description of Sasha
Shlapentokh's talk at the CTA meeting.  I said that she quoted results
and conjectures of Barry Mazur about Hilbert's 10th problem over the
rationals, and that is true, but that was really only a minor part of
the talk.  The majority of the talk was a description of of Sasha's
own results concerning Hilbert's 10th problem for number fields and
their rings of integers.  It really was a very nice talk.

-- Steve