Villa Borghese

| No Comments | No TrackBacks

 

villa_Borghese.jpg

Photo from:  http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image:IMG_0353_-_Villa_Borghese.jpg

This lovely park is the largest public park in Rome.  The park had been a vineyard and then it was transformed into a park by Cardinal Scipione Caffarelli Borghese, nephew of Pope Paul V.  This cardinal then commissioned a villa, which included the main house (now the Galleria Borghese), an aviary, and lovely gardens.  During the 19th century, the villa was opened to the public for viewing.  In 1901, the state purchased the property.  Now the villa is a city park. 

The Galleria and Museo Borghese is an art gallery that contains works of Raphael, Caravaggio, Titian, and others and museum with sculpture by Bernini.  Apparently some of the sculptures that had been kept here were sold to Napolean in the early 19th Century.  The Galleria Nazionale d'Arte Moderna and the Museo Nazionale Etrusco are also located on the grounds.

Go to this really helpful site for an excellent, detailed map of Rome.  In the center top quadrant, you will find the Villa Borghese. 

 

No TrackBacks

TrackBack URL: https://blogs.psu.edu/mt4/mt-tb.cgi/8515

Leave a comment

About this Entry

This page contains a single entry by ROBIN YAURE published on April 30, 2008 11:08 AM.

Piazza del Campidoglio was the previous entry in this blog.

Boys' Town of Italy is the next entry in this blog.

Find recent content on the main index or look in the archives to find all content.