Teaching Research Interests Publications Software Working Groups CV
- STAT554, Categorical Data Analysis, Fall 2014/Fall 2015
- STAT/IST 557, Data Mining, Fall 2011/Fall 2012/Spring 2014/Spring 2015
- STAT/MATH415, Introduction to Mathematical Statistics, Fall 2013/Spring 2016
- STAT897D, Applied Data Mining, Fall 2012
- Bayesian methods;
- Data mining;
- computational methods;
- Applications in health, environmental and social sciences.
- Thomas J. and Bao L. (2016). Modeling the dynamics of an HIV epidemic. Dynamic Demographic Analysis. 91-144.
- Malhotra, R., Elleder, D., Bao, L., Hunter, D. R., Poss, M., Acharya, R. (2016). A pipeline for identifying integration sites of mobile elements in the genome using next-generation sequencing. Proceedings of the 8th International Conference on Bioinformatics and Computational Biology (BICOB). 63-69.
- Li R., Dudek S.M., Kim D., Hall M.A., Bradford Y., Peissig P.L., Brilliant M.H., Linneman J.G., McCarty C.A., Bao L., and Ritchie M.D. (2016) Identification of genetic interaction networks via an evolutionary algorithm evolved Bayesian Network. Bio Data Mining, 9(18) DOI: 10.1186/s13040-016-0094-4.
- Bao L., Raftery A.E., Reddy A. (2015) Estimating the sizes of populations at risk of HIV infection from multiple data sources using a Bayesian hierarchical model.Statistics and Its inference. 8(2): 125ĘC136.
- Bao L., Elleder D., Malhotra R., DeGiorgio M., Maravegias T., Horvath L., Carrel L., Gillin C., Hron T., Fabryova H., Hunter D. and Poss M. (2014) Computational and statistical analyses of insertional polymorphic endogenous retroviruses in a non-model organism. Computation. 2: 221-245.
- Bao L., Ye J., Hallett T.B. (2014) Incorporating incidence information within the UNAIDS estimation and projection Package framework: a study based on simulated incidence assay data. AIDS 28: S515-S522.
- Brown T., Bao L., Eaton J.W., Hogan D.R., Mahy M., March K., Mathers B.M., Puckett R. (2014) Improvements in prevalence trend fitting and incidence estimation in EPP 2013. AIDS 28: S415-S425.
- Kamath P.., Elleder D., Bao L., Cross P., Poss M. (2013) The population history of endogenous retroviral elements in mule deer (Odocoileus hemionus). Journal of Heredity, 105: 173-187.
- Bao L. (2012) A new infectious disease model for estimating and projecting HIV/AIDS epidemics. Sexually Transmitted Infections, 88: i58-i65.Bao L. (2012). A new infectious disease model for estimating and projecting HIV/AIDS epidemics. Sexually Transmitted Infections, 88: i58-i65.
- Bao L., Salomon J.A., Brown T., Raftery A.E., and Hogan D.R. (2012) Modelling national HIV/AIDS epidemics: revised approach in the UNAIDS estimation and projection package 2011. Sexually Transmitted Infections, 88: i3-i10.
- Clark S.J., Thomas J., and Bao L. (2012) Estimates of age-specific reductions in HIV Prevalence in Uganda: Bayesian melding estimation and probabilistic population forecast with an HIV-enabled cohort component projection model. Demographic Research 27: 743-774.
- Meila M.P. and Bao L. (2010) An exponential model for infinite rankings. Journal of Machine Learning Research, 11: 3481-3518.
pdf Technical report 529 Technical report 524
- Raftery A.E. and Bao L. (2010) Estimating and projecting trends in HIV/AIDS generalized epidemics using incremental mixture importance sampling. Biometrics, 66: 1162-1173.
pdf Technical report 560
- Bao L. and Raftery A.E. (2010) A stochastic infection rate model for estimating and projecting national HIV prevalence rates. Sexually Transmitted Infections. 86: ii93-ii99.
- Brown T., Bao L., Raftery A.E., Salomon J.A., Baggaley R.F., Stover J., and Gerland P. (2010)
EPP 2009: bringing the UNAIDS estimation and projection package into the ART era. Sexually Transmitted Infections. 86: ii3-ii10.
- Bao L., Gneiting T., Grimit E., Guttrop P. and Raftery A.E. (2010) Bias correction and Bayesian model averaging for ensemble forecasts of surface wind direction. Monthly Weather Review. 138:1811-1821.
pdf Technical report 557
- Bao L., Zhu, Z. and Ye, J.(2009) Modeling oncology gene pathways network with multiple genotypes and phenotypes via a copula method. IEEE Symposium on Computational Intelligence in Bioinformatics and Computational Biology. 237-246.
- Meila M.P. and Bao L. (2008) Estimation and clustering with infinite rankings. Proceedings of the 24th Conference in Uncertainty in Artificial Intelligence. 393-402.
- Bao L., Gu H., Dunn, K.A. and Bielawski J. (2008) Likelihood Based Clustering (LiBaC) for codon models, a method for grouping sites according to similarities in the underlying process of evolution. Molecular Biology and Evolution. 25:1995-2007.
- Bao L., Gu H., Dunn K.A. and Bielawski J. (2007) Methods for selecting fixed-effect models for heterogeneous codon evolution, with comments on their application to gene and genome data. BMC Evolutionary Biology. 7 Suppl 1:S5.
- Mitnitski A, Bao L., and Rockwood K. (2007) A cross-national study of transitions in deficit counts in two birth cohorts: implications for modeling ageing. Experimental Gerontology. 42:241-246.
- Mitnitski A, Bao L., and Rockwood K. (2006) Going from bad to worse: a stochastic model of transitions in deficit accumulation, in relation to mortality. Mechanisms of Ageing and Development. 127: 490-493.
Spectrum/EPP: Estimation and Projection Package is used to estimate and project adult HIV prevalence and incidence from surveillance data.
IMIS: R-package for Incremental Mixture Importance Sampling. Reference: Raftery and Bao (2010) Biometrics.
SizeEstimation: R-package for estimating the size of hidden population with multiple data sources. Reference: Bao, Raftery and Reddy (2015) Statistics and Its Interface.
Codeml_FE: A modified version of Ziheng Yang's codeml that implements 11 new fixed-effects codon models. Reference: Bao, Gu, Dunn and Bielawski (2007) BMC evolutionary Biology.
- LiBaC: The primary use is to identify positively selected sites when the process of evolution is highly heterogeneous among sites. Reference: Bao, Gu, Dunn and Bielawski (2008) Molecular Biology and Evolution.
- Key technical advisor of the UNAIDS Reference Group on HIV Estimates, Modelling and Projections who advises on the methods for calculating international AIDS statistics, link.
- Core project team leader of the Diagnostics Modelling Consortium who aims to utilize modelling to guide the effective use of diagnostic technologies in resource-poor settings, link.
updated on Aug 30 2016