Return to Old Timers index

Old Timers 1907

(Glimpses of prominent Frackville citizens from the borough's early days)


DR. DAVID TAGGART of Frackville, enjoys the distinction of being the oldest established practitioner in his noble profession, was born in Northumberland, Dec. 19, 1856, a son of Captain James and Sarah (Cowden) Taggart, both of whom were natives of Northumberland county, this state, of Scotch Irish and Swedish descent. The paternal grandfather of the doctor was John Taggart, who in turn was a son of David Taggart, and his maternal grandfather, John Cowden, was for many years agent for the Philadelphia & Reading railroad at Pine Grove.

Captain James Taggart gave valiant service to his country during the Civil war, as Captain of Company B., 5th Pennsylvania reserves and was killed at the battle of Charles City Cross Roads, Va., in 1862, Dr. Taggart was reared in Northumberland, in whose public and private schools he received his elementary education. Later he attended the Delaware county. He took up the study of medicine in Northumberland in 1875 and later entered the medical department of the University of Pennsylvania, from which famous institution he graduated in 1879, with the well earned degree of doctor of medicine.

He first located in.Shenandoah for the practice of his profession in the fall of 1879, but in the spring only until the fall of the same year, when he located in Frackville where he has resided until the present time and where he enjoys a large and lucrative practice. In 1888 he established and has since conducted a drug store.

The doctor is a member and active worker in the Schuylkill county society of the state of Pennsylvania and the American medical association. He is also a member of District Lodge, No. 823, Independent Order of Odd Fellows and of the Royal Arcanum. He gives stanch allegiance to the principles of the Republican party and has served as school director of Frackville for two terms. On April 30, 1833, was solemnized the -marriage of Dr. Taggart to Mary Grant, a daughter of William and Jane (Gibbs) Grant, of Shenandoah, and they have two sons, James and William, the former of whom is a civil engineer.

[This article can be found in "1907 History of Schuylkill County" by J.H. Beers]

Content Copyright © 2015 Lorraine Stanton and Deborah Stanton Janov.
Use of this site constitutes your acceptance of these Conditions of Use.