(Evening Herald, Frackville Centennial Edition, August 21, 1976)

The first school in Frackville in 1861, fifteen years before its incorporation as a borough was a small frame building situated at the corner of Nice and High streets. There were nine scholars in the class at that time and the teacher was Miss Sallie Gilbert.

In 1862, Samuel Haupt presented a lot on the east side of North Nice street to the school board for the erection of the first public school in this community. In 1868, the lot on West Frack was purchased from John Hadesty and a two- story, four-roomed frame building was built and this community which was still part of Mahanoy Township now had two school buildings with five classrooms. With the increase of registration of school children it was necessary to grade the schools and in 1870 there were three grades with seventy-four pupils. The teachers were W. W. Wood, Ella Kaup and Emma Jones.

The Principal in 1876 was W.W. Wood, Ella Kaup and Josephine Sanner taught grammar school and Emma Jones taught the secondary school. The year 1876 was the centennial year of our country and on September 21, the School Board granted permission to the teachers to attend the Centennial Exposition at Philadelphia for three days instead of holding the County Institute! Years ago, the schools were used for many purposes, the Frackville Building and Saving Association held their meetings here and the Episcopal Church also used this building for services every Sunday afternoon.

The Town Clock 
a.k.a. Balliet Street School; Roosevelt School

This is the old Frackville High School, later known as the Roosevelt Building and more popularly called the Town Clock. Note the maple trees and the wrought iron fence. The building on left was the Scott Stables. This building was later dismantled and the building to its left moved there to make way for the First National Bank.

There were four schools in town in 1877. Sallie Dormer was elected to the faculty and taught at School No. 1. The Dramatic Association of Frackville leased this school building for the evenings so all churches, clubs and any organization meeting in, this school house were given notices to vacate.

On February 2, 1878, all teachers were instructed to have separate recess for girls and boys- girls were recessed ten minutes before the boys and at the close of each school day the girls were dismissed first. A "Blymer Bell" was bought on March 9, at a cost of $78.16 to be used as the school bell. The Dramatic Association dissolved this year and the school house was again available to organizations and churches. At this time, Miss Sallie Dormer taught at School No. 1; Miss Ella Kaup taught at School No. 2; and Miss Emma Green taught at School No. 3.

In 1879, there were four schools in Frackville with one male and three female teachers. Pupils were known as "scholars" and there were 170 male and 148 female or a total of 318 scholars attending school in Frackville in 1879. Mr. Wood taught at School No. 1; Miss Kaup taught at School No. 2; Miss Johnson taught at School No. 3; and Emma Green taught at School No. 4 for the school year 1879-1880. In September of that year Katie Deehan was elected teacher by the School Board.

There were five schools in town in 1880 with one male and four female teachers. The salaries ranged from $25 to $55 a month. There were 173 male and 190 female for a total of 363 scholars attending school in this year. Mr. Wood resigned on August 16, 1880 and was replaced by S, Shipman. On June 1, 1881, the School Board bought a lot on Broad Mountain Avenue for $125 from Daniel Frack. A frame school house 26 x 40 ft. was proposed for new school. It was built on the center of the lot, 12 feet back from the front with 12 feet of property on each side. The building was 14 feet high and at the request of Mr. Edward Brennan, the owner of the adjoining lot, a close fence was built between his lot and the school lot with the cost to be shared by Mr. Brennan and the School Board. In 1881, H.H. Brownmiller was elected Principal and Hattie Vaughn and Lizzie Williams were elected teachers. On June 13, 1882, Andrew Snyder was awarded the contract to build the chimney and to plaster and white wash all the walls of this school. Mr. Snyder is the grandfather of Harry Snyder, 90 years old, who resides at 218 South Balliet street.

Lucinda Douglas was elected teacher for School No. 6 in 1882 and this was the year Principal Brownmiller requested "recitation bench" to be bought for the school rooms. This was one long bench placed in front of the desks in the room. As one class worked at their desks the second class went up front, sat on the recitation bench until they were individually called upon to recite. Years ago the classes were large but each class had two grades included. Each teacher taught two different grades in one room.

In 1882 there were 34 scholars attending School No. 1; 57 scholars attending School No. 2; 45 scholars attending School No. 3; 69 scholars attending School No. 4; and 62 scholars attending School No. 5.

There were six schools in Frackville in 1883 with -one male and five female teachers. The salary of the principal was raised to $65 a month and teachers were awarded salaries of between $25 to $40 a month. The Principal was H. H. Brownmiller and teachers were: Misses Deehan, Green, Vaughn, Williams and Douglas. There were now 415 scholars attending school in Frackville at this time.

Cora Meyers was elected to teach No. 6 School in January of 1883 and in 1884 Miss Mary E. Scott and Miss Annie Dando were elected to teach positions. Coal stoves were located in all school rooms in the early days of Frackville and teachers were sometimes reprimanded for using too much coal or wood in their pot belly stoves. The janitress was sometimes scolded for not having the fire started before the teacher arrived at school. Egg coal was used in all stoves in the schools and was $3.75 a ton. There were 453 scholars attending the Frackville Schools in 1885. In July of that year, Mr. C. H. Moyer was elected as a secondary teacher at a salary of $32 a month and Miss S. J. Haines was elected at $30 a month: Sophia E. Glover was elected teacher of No. 5 School.

On May 5, 1886, Mr. Seaman of the School Board made a "motion to build a six-room building, with a stone foundation, steam heated, good and substantial." This was the beginning of the plans for the Town Clock Building. There were now two male and four female teachers in the Frackville Schools in 1886 with a total of 508 scholars attending the schools.

In 1887 the principal was H. Day Gise who was paid $65 a month. Teachers were Charles Moyer at $50 a month, S. Jennie Haines, Cora Meyers and Sophie Glover at $35, Ella Deehan $27 and Mary Leachy $20. Enrollment was 509 pupils and subjects included etymology (origin of words), political geography and U.S. history.

On January 12, 1887, Dr. David Taggert made a motion that the teachers be paid one week's salary while attending Institute. On January 19, 1887, a contract for demolishing the old school and erecting a new school house on West Frack Street was awarded to Call and Garst of Reading for $11,115 but later refused the contract and it was awarded to John D. Evans of Shenandoah for $11,400. The Reading Steam Heating Works was awarded the contract for the heating plant at $1640.

On August 22, 1887, the high school (Roosevelt) was not completed so temporary schoolrooms had to be rented. The rink of Mr. Haup was rented at $300 for the season and Mrs. Nice's building was rented for $10 a month for this purpose. The lumber from the old school building was auctioned off to residents of town. On November 2, 1887, The School Board consisting of President, James Cowen, members, William Wagner, H. T. Evans, David Taggart, A.S. Seaman, and Thomas Phillips presented the architect's plan to build the tower for the clock.

Principal Gise resigned in May 1888, and on June 14, 1888, J. K. Witmer was elected new principal. On June 29, 1888, Ida James, Nettie Ranck and Lillian Beard were elected by the School Board to teach in the primary grades. This year, 1888, had the first graduating class in Frackville. Graduates were Lillian G. Beard, Sue L. Haupt, Ida James, Nettie Ranck and Edward Taylor. As you can see, the three teachers elected were new graduates from this class, that was how teachers were chosen years ago. They then attended classes to earn a teaching certificate. On August 8, 1888, Charles Moyer resigned and Miss Haines replaced him in the grammar school and Corinne Kirk was elected to substitute in the grammar school.

On September 6, 1888, the High School was completed. In 1925 the School Board changed the name to the Roosevelt School but most people remember it as The Town Clock Building. Mr. D. L. Adams had the contract to install a steam heating plant at $170 and Henry Haupt had the contract to build the out houses - with a suggestion that he put a coat of paint on for the same price. The wooden casing around the clock was built by Peter S. Klinger of South Lehigh Avenue. On November 7, 1888, a motion was made that they the School Board, accept with thanks the grand gift of the Borough Council - The Clock - and that hereafter they undertake to keep it in running order. CARRIED with cheers!

Lincoln school (a.k.a. Center and Frack Street Schools) built in 1913 had 14 classrooms.

The Lincoln Building

The state report for 1888 reported six schools in town, two male teachers and four female teachers. Male scholars (pupils) attending was listed at 302 while 283 females were listed with a total of 585 scholars attending the Frackville Schools in 1888.
      At the School Board meeting on December 5, 1888, a motion was made to meet with the Patriotic Order Sons of America in order to ascertain and have an understanding about placing the Union Flags in the schools. The secretary was instructed to write a complementary note to the Borough Council as an acknowledgment for their gift - the clock. The note read: We, the School Board of the Borough of Frackville, desire to tender our heartfelt thanks to the Borough Council of the same place, for their magnificent and splendid gift - The Clock - which they placed in the tower of our new school house.

On March 7, 1889, the teachers were instructed to have recess at each session of school. The School Board was invited by the P.O.S.O.A. to participate in a parade on April 30, 1889 and to accept their offer of the National Flags for all the schools. Miss Barbara Leiser was elected as assistant teacher to Miss Deehan at the east side school on June 12, 1891. The contract for $327.80 was awarded to James Kalback of Nice Street for laying the pavement around the Town Clock building and the brick walks from the different doors to the water closets.

Annie Curry and William Berk were elected to the teaching staff on June 23, 1892. On August 10, 1892, a tuition of seventy-eight cents per month was levied to the parents of children living outside the borough of Frackville who attended the borough schools.

A committee to secure ground for a new school building on the east site was appointed on February 20, 1893 and two lots of ground were bought from Mr. Samuel Parfitt on the corner of Frack and Broad Mt. Avenue for $1000 on March 29, 1893. The plan of Architect W. D. Hill was accepted for this school and the contract was given to George Binkley of Pottsville for $5400 but it was rescinded because of lack of sufficient bond on his part so the contract was awarded to P. J. O'Neill of Port Carbon for $5640.

Samuel Moyer was super.visor of the carpenters and some of the men from town who helped build the East Side School were: John Harkins, David Lloyd, Eugene McGovern, J. H. Haupt, and Ben Bretz. Herbert Ranck did the painting, Morris Heckman built the chimney and Charles and James Leibeg did the plastering. The Junior Order of Americans placed flags in all these classrooms. In 1925 this school was named the Franklin School.

Franklin school (a.k.a. East Side School) built 1893, annexed in 1918.

The Franklin School

The Grand Army of the Republic, John S. Meredith Post 485 Of Frackville held Decoration Day Services in the yard of the East Side School in May 1893. The state report of June 1893 listed ten schools in Frackville with two male teachers and eight female teachers. There were 278 male scholars and 323 female scholars for a total of 601 scholars attending the borough schools.

On June 28, 1893, 1. G. Miller was elected principal of the High School (Town Clock) Building with the same teachers remaining on the faculty. On November 22, 1893, it was decided that six new outhouses, three on each side should be built for the East Side School and on December 5, Richard Wagner was awarded the contract for the steam heating plant for $700 with a suggestion that a large enough boiler and radiating surface sufficient for not less than 1000 square feet and to thoroughly heat the building at zero weather to 70 degrees. Plasterers contracted for this school were Charles and James Leibeg.

On March 14, 1894, William Berk resigned and May Philips was elected to fill the vacancy. On April 11, 1894, the old school house on Broad Mt. Avenue was transferred to Rev. Patrick John Ryan, Archbishop of Philadelphia for $390. This was later remodeled into a church at a cost of $1500 and was the first Roman Catholic Church in town.

There were now two male and nine female teachers in the ten schools in town. 278 male and 354 female or a total of 632 scholars attending school in Frackville in 1894. The population was a little over 2000 residents at this time.

On July 25, 1894, Corinne Kirk resigned and was replaced by Minnie Edwards. On December 12, it was decided that if a pupil broke his slate he would have to pay for it. May Philips passed away and Rennie Moyer was elected to fill the vacancy. There was one male teacher and nine female teachers in town with 667 scholars attending in 1894.

On June 26, 1895, Lettie Clark was elected to teach the primary grades at the Jefferson School on Nice Street and Lizzie Penna was elected as substitute teacher.

The heating unit in the Town Clock Building never really heated the building as some of our senior residents remember and on February 22, 1896, a new boiler and repiping at $460 was contracted to Slatington Foundry Machine and Boiler Works. There were 307 male and 341 female scholars attending the Frackville school in 1896. On March 19, 1897, pupils who violate the Compulsory Educational Laws were notified by the Principal and by June 1897 there were 337 male and 377 female scholars attending the Frackville Schools.

On September 15, 1897, W. E. Roberts was elected on the faculty and Oscar Mengel was appointed substitute teacher. There were eleven schools in Frackville in 1897 with two male and nine female teachers and 739 scholars attending school. In June of 1898, Miss Cora Meyers was appointed assistant to Principal Miller. Minnie D. Oakes and Jane Dingle were elected teachers in the schools and on July 4, 1898 the Knights of Malta and the Jr. O.W.A.M. erected a pole and flag on the northwest corner of the Nice Street School. Flag raising ceremonies were held to commemorate this occasion with the School board attending.

On January 9, 1899, the School Board bought the adjoining lot formerly owned by the Gavin family, at the Nice Street School at a sheriff sale for $372.50. The dwelling on this lot was later auctioned off and Edward Harkins bought it for $324. Ethel Morgan was elected substitute teacher in 1900.

There were 626 scholars attending this year. William Roberts resigned on June 10, 1901 and William R. Trautman was elected to take care of the East Side School on July 10, 1901.

Annie Thomas was elected substitute teacher in December 1901 and Thomas Carr Sr. was elected truant Officer in this year at five dollars a month. The law at that time read, "No scholar should miss five days a month without a legal excuse." As many residents recall - a lot of youngsters didn't attend each days sessions of school and as many as s fifty-six scholars were truant in one month - that really kept the truant officer busy. Some of the excuses given for a child's absence was sickness, need of clothing and because they were needed at home. A Truant Officer was hired a month at a time only when there were many children truant! One teacher in each building had a call bell which she rang at the beginning and end of school and also at recess time.

The janitress was earning thirty-dollars a month compared to the teachers earning $32.50 and $40 a month for teaching a class with sixty youngsters! The teachers in 1903 were: Primary School Ethel Morgan, Lettie Clark, Lizzie Penna. Sub-Grammar School: Barbara Leiser, Minnie Oakes. Grammar School: William Trautman, Lillie Beard. Secondary: Rennie Moyer, Annie Curry, Minerva Edwards. High School: Jane Dingle, Mr. I. G. Miller.

Jefferson school (a.k.a. Nice Street School) built
in 1906 had 2 classrooms.

The Jefferson Building

Mrs. Nettie Ranck Roberts resigned on July 23, 1903 and Annie Curry resigned in July 1904. Ellen Berret was then elected teacher and Agnes O'Donnell was elected substitute teacher. The resignation of I. G. Miller was requested in 1904 and Miss Jane Dingle was temporarily appointed in charge of the High School until Principal William Roberts was elected . Minnie Edwards resigned February 17, 1905 and Agnes O'Donnell was elected to fill this vacancy. Blanche Bleiler was elected substitute teacher in September 1905. This graduating class of 1905 presented the High School Library with 86 volumes costing $20.05. Irvin Zeigler was Principal in 1906. A contract for $6565.00 was awarded to William Evitts for building a one story, two room brick school house on the east side of North Nice Street. At this time, G. W. Smith of town was the Truant Officer . Mr. W. R. Trautman was elected principal on July 1, 1907 and Misses Alice Burns and Maude Miller were elected teachers. There were 670 scholars attending the Frackville schools in 1908.

On June 14, 1909, Ethel Heywood was elected to fill the vacancy at the primary grade of the Nice Street School and Elizabeth Shaffer was elected substitute teacher. The lower grades were overcrowded and Principal Trautman was granted permission to double-promote several merited students and this relieved the congested condition of the lower grades as more new pupils were being admitted to the Frackville Schools each year.

A gift of forty standard books and an eleven volume set was presented to the High School library by Mrs. C. S. Sanner.

In June 1910, Eldred Purnell was elected teacher and Florence Haughton was elected substitute teacher. The Old Episcopal Church was rented from J. J. Kehler for twenty dollars a month and was used as a grammar school beginning September of that year. On May 8, 1911 the lot on the corner of Frack and Centre Streets was bought from Mrs. Attie Miller for $1200. This was the start of a plan for a new high school building.

Year 1912: Twelve schools, 807 students

There were twelve schools in town in 1912 with one male, twelve female teachers and 807 pupils attending school. Ethel Heywood resigned in 1912 and Elva Berger and Martha Heywood were elected as teachers. Agnes O'Donnell resigned on January 3, 1913 and Ida Felsburg filled the vacancy. Mr. W. R. Trautman was enumerator during the summer months and was paid six cents for each school child listed. The architect for the new building was F. X. Reilly and the contract was given to William J. Evitts at $22,976. Elizabeth Shaffer was elected as teacher and Mr. H. H. Koeper was Principal in 1913. The Primary teachers at this time were Misses: Berger, Burns, Shaffer. The Secondary teachers were: Heywood, Felsburg, and Snyder. The Sub-Grammar teachers were: Misses Penna, Leiser, Purnell and Beard. The B-Grammar teachers were: Oakes and Clark.

Frackville School Room

A school room of long ago in Frackville. Note the recitation seat in the front of the room where scholars were seated while awaiting their turn for recitations while the remainder of the class stayed at their desks. Also note the slates on the desks.

On June 15, 1914, D. Frank Hoppes was elected to the faculty. This was the year Old Home Week was held and the Ladies Aid Society of M.E. Church obtained permission from the School Board to erect stands for these festivities on the school grounds. Only one session of school was held during this week so that the youngsters could enjoy all the festivities of Old Home Week. The School Board purchased the two adjoining lots of the Lincoln School, 100x150 ft. from Mrs. A. Miller on September 28, 1914. On June 1, 1915, Mr. W. R. Trautman accepted the position of Supervising Principal at $1800 per year and Irene Seitzinger and May Donogh were elected teachers. On December 31, 1915, the local schools sold 6738 Red Cross Seals and won the first prize in Schuylkill County. A bust of Lincoln was awarded to the school and was placed in the High School Building.

On March 12, 1917 the Civic Club was granted permission to plant trees at all the schools on Arbor Day. Children placed their name in a bottle and it was placed in the ground with the tree as it was planted. Many of these bottles may still be in the yards of all the schools. On May 14, 1917. the Frackville Booster Club donated playground equipment to the School Board. Nellie Everett, Vera Lachman, Gladys Guinter, Agnes Frew, Pauline Fennelly and Kathryn Gobbert were elected to the school faculty and there were 1163 pupils attending school in 1917. On November 12, 1917, the senior class of that year presented a portrait of Bernard J. McGinnes to be hung in the High School Assembly Room. He was the first Frackvillian to lose his life in World War I.

On April 1, 1920, a contract was awarded to John Houser Company of Pottsville for $14,829 for a four-room addition to the East Side Building. In May of that year Frances Gottschall, Mia Frew, Della Morgan, Edna Bailey and Esther Burchill were elected teachers. There were 1732 pupils enrolled in the Frackville Schools in 1920. Maybelle Jamieson was elected to teach English and French. The addition to the East Side Building was completed on March 21, 1921 and Misses Edith Hampton, Helen Price, Sara Reed, Marion Burchill, Mary Connelly, Sara Morgan, were elected teachers and Mr. Ross Rhine was assistant principal. There were now twenty-seven teachers in the Frackville Schools. Dr. William J. Dougherty was elected Medical Examiner of the schools on November 14, 1921.

There were 1511 pupils attending school in 1922. Edna Pierce resigned and Arthur Kaup, Dorothy Howells, Dorothy Guy, Dorothy Guinther, Alice Morgan, Charles W. Drumm and Edna Bailey were added to the faculty. Rolin E. Kline and Gladys Roberts were elected in 1923. The schools were over crowded and half sessions, 8 a.m. to 12:30, and 12:30 to 5 were put into effect.

In 1924, Edith Rosser, Olive Kimmell, Emily Williams and Blanch Williams were elected to the faculty and Dorothy Howell resigned. On November 10, 1924 the Frackville Bible Association suggested that the school buildings be named after some of our noted Patriots and on February 9, 1925 the following names were selected by the teachers of the respective buildings: Center and Frack Street Schools was changed to the Lincoln School; Nice Street School was changed to the Jefferson School; the East Side School was changed to the Franklin School; Balliet Street School was changed to the Roosevelt School; and the Oak and Center Street School was changed to the Washington School. This school was dedicated on May 30, 1925. A parade was held and 1,440 eight by twelve flaps were bought for the school children to carry in this parade. Grace E. Madara, Viola M. Hoffman, Beatrice Knopf, Kathryn Moyer, Esther F. Tayler, Harold O. Speidel were elected to the faculty and Ross Rhine resigned.

A Commercial Department was developed in 1926 and seven Underwood typewriters, tables and chairs were bought. Ruth Haupt and Esther Tayler resigned and Ethel M. Kienzle was elected. The graduating class presented a Bausch and Lomb Baloption projection machine for slides, postcards and photographs.

There were 2265 pupils attending school in 1927. Marion Burchill, Sara Moyer, Alice Burns and Harold Speidle resigned and Helen Guy, Viola Moyer, Millicent Parfitt, Alfred J. Ebert were elected teachers and Ada Speidel was elected Supervisor of Music.

There were forty-two teachers in the school district in 1928. New teachers elected were: Elizabeth Garrett, Chester Timmins, Margaret Berger, and Margaret Schappel. In 1929 one-half pint bottles of milk were made available to students for fifteen cents a week by the George G. Fisher Dairy. Teachers elected were: Verna Hampton, Alberta Rubright, Ethel Swade, Olive Coxen, Lois Wonn, Dorothy Sneddon, K. Gruber, F. McDonald, E. Edwin Schoff- stall, Mr. Moran and Miss Cunningham. Miss Christine Kline was the first teacher elected for Health Education. Kathryn Moyer Williams and Grace Woon resigned and Rolin Kline was killed in an accident and this vacancy was filled by Harold Speidle. On November 11, 1929, Mrs. W. R. Trautman, Mrs. John Beddow and Mrs. Roy P. Hicks wrote a letter to the school district stating they were interested in a high school band and asked permission to try to collect funds to furnish instruments and equipment for a school band. In the latter part of this year Ruth Williams, Jean Connelly, Priscilla Moyer, Margaret Cope, and Cassie Pikezilineis were elected as teachers.

Christian Kline and Edwin Schoffstall resigned in 1930 and June Keller was elected. A proposal was made on November 30, 1930 to build an addition to the Washington School at a cost of 62,500 because of overcrowded conditions. On September 4, 1931, contracts of teachers included a clause "that any .female teacher marrying during her term of contract should immediately send her resignation to the Board, as it is the wish of the Board when a teacher marries she resigns her position at once!" Lois Wonn Krapf and Elva Berger Hoffsomer resigned and Merle Caton, Elizabeth Caton, Elizabeth Harris, Francis Timmins, Hazel Wonn, Ruth Hobel, Roy Wertz, Orval PaIsgrove and Charles Dunkleberger were elected this year.

On March 21, 1932 the first baccalaureate service was recommended to be held on a Sunday afternoon. Olive Kimmell resigned and Marion Eltringham, Ruth S. Beddow, Marion Witter, Kathy Hesselring, Gladys Leddicoat, and Alma White were elected. Barbara Leiser was killed by an automobile on Lehigh avenue on December 5, 1932. The enrollment was now 2322 students.

A newly formed orchestra directed by Mr. Richards held their first concert in February 1933 in the High School Auditorium. Our town was now in the depression years and Mr. Trautman took the census of the school children without remuneration and teachers, janitors, attendance officers, Medical Inspector, Secretary of the Board and Treasurer of the Board took a ten per cent reduction in salary to "relieve the tax payers under these most depressing times!" A reduction in the mills had also been made at this time.

On March 12, 1934 The Schoolmen's Club of Schuylkill County sponsored the writing of the history of Schuylkill County which appeared in installments in the Pottsville Republican newspaper. This was later published in book form. The Frackville Schools also participated in a pageant depicting the history of our county at the Schuylkill County Fairgrounds. On April 9, 1934, the Athletic Council of the school district of Frackville was organized. Elizabeth Caton Palsgrove, Priscilla Moyer Burrell, Dorothy Guy Campbell resigned and Marion Eisenhower, James E. Purcell, Phyllis Rubright, Bertha Grabey and Dorothy Shelcuskie were elected. In December of 1934 a plot of ground north of High Street in Gilberton Borough was leased for ten years from the Schaeffer Estate to be the athletic field and to be known as the "Plane Field." The L.W.D. provided all the labor for this project.
      As of September 1, 1935, the ten per cent wage cut which was instituted in 1933 was restored to all employed in the school district. There were now 54 teachers in the school district. Prof. Harold O. Speidel, Mrs. Margaret Berger Phillips, Mrs. Katherine Kessering Morgan and Margaret Cope Dunkleberger resigned and Phyllis R. Hicks, Esther Kienzle, Elvira James, Helen Shirey, Anna Edwards, Charles Miller, Jr., and Thomas V. Morgan were elected.

The Rotary Club presented twenty instruments and thirty- six caps to the high School Band and Mr. Arthur Dillman was placed in charge of this band at a salary of fifteen dollars a month. The Town Clock was not in working condition in January 1936 and the Seth Thomas Clock Co. stated that the Hotchkiss movement was obsolete and they were unable to furnish parts for it.

The Project for Emergency was instituted which made emergency clothing for poor families out of Federal material. The ladies on this project worked on the WPA and the sewing was done in the basement rooms of the present Law Building. The N.Y.A., National Youth Administration was in effect at this time and this project provided work for students who helped teachers by grading papers, washing blackboards or working for the borough.

Marion Eltringham Roberts resigned on July 13, 1936 and on the 23rd of that month the five-tier grandstand seats were built on the athletic field by Clarence C. Wagner. The brick field house and ticket booth were constructed by Harvey E Cresswell. The Frackville Public School Athletic Stadium was dedicated September 18, 1936. A football game was featured with Girardville with Frackville scoring 33-0. A severe wind storm prevailed but did not keep the 3000 people from attending. All sports editors of the Ashland News, Shenandoah Herald, Mahanoy City Record American, Pottsville Journal, Pottsville Republican and Frackville Ledger were invited as guests. The Invocation was given by Rev. A. J. Kimker. Remarks were made by James Eisenhower, president, Albert McCabe, president of the Athletic Association, William Roberts, Coach, Charles Dunkleberger, coach, and W. R. Trautman, Supervising Principal. The raising of the flag was performed by Dr. O. H. Mengel, treasurer and the Benediction was given by Rev. Basil Gambal.

Year 1937: Jammed classrooms brought halfday sessions

On April 12, 1937, Rev. A. J. Kimker former pastor of the Methodist Episcopal Church presented several hundred books to the high school library. The first annual May Day celebration was held this year. In July of 1937, Grace Madara Troutman and Ruth Beddow Kachel resigned. Mary E. Frye, Jeanne Morgan, George Grabey, Robert Hall, Morgan Fellows and Mae Jones were elected to the faculty. Because of over-crowded conditions, the Freshman and Sophomore classes had half-day sessions - 7:45 a.m. to noon and 12:30 p.m. to 4:40 p.m.

The Business Men's Association and the School Board sponsored the P.W.A. (Public Works Administration) in 1937. This was a women's sewing project that made clothes with Mrs. Smith as supervisor. These clothes were distributed by the Red Cross to the needy in the county. Enrollment for this year was: High School students, 830 and elementary students 1509. This was the year report cards were now graded in letters instead of in percentages as in the past. The milk program was also discontinued at this time. In December, 1937 the WPA started a "Housekeepers Aide" program in our town. Women who worked for this project went into homes where there was illness and assisted the regular housewife or if she was ill took over the cooking and cleaning and assisted the children until the wife got well.

The May Day Program in 1938 consisted of 1500 pupils participating and was a grand success. Lillian Beard, Olive Coxon, and Merle Caton Taylor resigned and Joseph Pilconis was elected as Physical Education teacher. A Bookmending Project was established under the WPA and 8129 books were mended for the Frackville Schools, 31 hymnals for the Reformed Church and 82 hymnals for the Methodist Church. Jack James was elected to substitute for Miss Frye who was out on sick leave. The total enrollment this year was 2222. A consignment of books, the gift of the family of Robert G. Garrett, deceased was presented to the High School Library in August of 1939. Robert Hall succeeded Thomas Hale and Mrs. Frances Timmins Wichaman resigned. On August 29 of that year a school for aliens and illiterates was sponsored by the school district and Mr. Wharton Barker taught this class.

In 1940 the N.Y.A. (National Youth Administration) Project was established in the Frackville Schools. This was an agency created by executive order to furnish part time work for students in high schools and colleges. The purpose of the law was to relieve unemployment distress, raise wages by reducing the number of unemployed, assist families on public welfare rolls, and maintain educational standards by furnishing financial assistance to needy students. This agency was absorbed into the Federal Works Agency in 1943. A High School Student worked 48 hours a month and was paid $14.40. One of the projects was the refinishing of desks throughout the schools in town. Due to the financial distress of the School District, an application was made for state aid. A list of 326 men and women in town who were in need of work was given to the school board for placement on work around the schools- The total number of students in school at this time was 2337 in the Public Schools and 134 attending the parochial school. Mrs. Ruth Habel Myers resigned and Verdilla Rubright was elected to replace her. On November 26, 1940, a Defense Program sponsored by the Pennsylvania State Employment Office taught young people machine shop, welding, electrical work, auto mechanics and textile work so that they were qualified to go to Defense Plants to work After graduating.

Washington school (a.k.a. Oak and Center Street School) opened in 1925.

Washington School

On June 10, 1941 Miss Lettie Clark resigned after teaching in the Frackville Schools for 46 years Margaret Shapbell also resigned that year and Ellen Williams was elected.

On May 11, 1942, Mr. A. Hower Glick representing the Frackville Tennis Club presented the Tennis Courts on the corner of Second and Chestnut Streets to the Frackville School Board. The offer was declined because of the poor condition of the courts, the distance from the high school and the short time in the year that tennis could be taught. Defense Stamps were being sold to students in the classrooms in their effort to help W.W.II situation. The Home Economics Department was established in September 1942 with Miss Jean Leddicoat elected to teach this course. Ellen M. Stauffenberg and Jean Wagner were hired as clerks in the offices of Professor W. R. Trautman, Red Cross classes were held in the Roosevelt Building and the Frackville Civilian Defense Organization collected 32 tons of scrap iron, rags, and rubber from the school children for the war effort. Viola Hoffman, I Orval C. Palsgrove, Mary Fry Heim, Jane Dingle and James Purcell resigned this year.

A victory tax of 5 per cent on all income over $12 weekly went into effect on January 1, 1943. The teachers of the School District issued 6149 Number 2 Ration Books in February of that year. Morgan Fellows received leave of absence to enter the U.S. Army and Roy Wertz and Robert D. Hall entered the U.S. Navy. In September 1943 the Industrial Arts Department was established with Ralph E. Thomas, instructor. Secretary Ellen Stauffenberg resigned and was replaced by Mary Swartz. Teachers Mrs. Elvira James Stanulonis, Mrs. Ellen Williams Webb, Joseph Pilconis, and Mrs. Phyllis H. Fellows resigned. Secretary Jean Wagner resigned and Helen Bruceik and Marion Clark were hired as secretaries. Joline Korey, Dorothy Webber, Mrs. Leo Blickley, Eleanor Kugris were elected as teachers. On September 23, 1943 a Milk Program was adopted whereas the state paid two cents and the child paid one cent on a half pint of milk.

Katherine Williams and Jane Watkins were elected as teachers and Joline Korey, Bertha Grabey and Dorothy Webber resigned in 1944. V-E Day was observed on May 7, 1945 and the schools were dismissed the next day after Declaration of the President of the United States at 9 a.m. Charles Dunkleberger resigned after fourteen years as teacher and coach. Also resigning were Charles Miller, Chester Timmins and Thomas Morgan. A Health Clinic was opened in November 1945 with Dr. J. J. Nedzinskas and Dr. H. M. Smith as Dentists and Mrs. Gladys Egge and Miss Gladys Rupert as nurses. Religious Training Classes began on November 14, 1945 to be held each Wednesday at 11 a.m. to 12 noon. Elected as teachers were: Stephen H. Bobiak, Stanley Rakowsky, Dorothy Dellecker and Mary Caton. Teachers resigning this year were: Mrs. Jean Leddicoat, Dorothy Shelcusky, Boris and Gladys R. Haupt. Miss Mary Swartz resigned as secretary and Emily Riegel was elected as new Home Economics Teacher.

Morgan S. Fellows, Ethel Kienzle, Gladys Rupert, R.N., Marion Eisenhower Burchill, Dorothy Hochstuhl and Ralph Thomas resigned in 1947,and Jack James, John Warner, Elva Rogers, R. N., and Henry Pascavage were elected to serve in the Frackville School District. A Band and Choral Concert was held on May 16, 1947 and on June .30. 1947 Mr. Joel Felsburg presented a piano to the School District.

Helen Dziczek, secretary to Mr. Trautman resigned and was replaced by Betty Knittle.

Jane Domalakes resigned as teacher, Fred C. Bomberger replaced Mr. Pascavage and Gladys Egge, was hired as a full time nurse in 1948. On November 10, 1948, raincoats and hats were presented to the School District for the use of Traffic Patrol Students by the American Legion Post No. 398. A Kindergarten Department was established in the Frackville School District in September 1949. Jack Warner, Alfred Williams, Kathryn Williams Coxon resigned this year and Franklin R. Wolfe and Elizabeth Wagner were elected.

The Physical Education Department, under the direction of Mrs. Wolfgang, sponsored "Play Day" at the High School Gym. Games, instructional films, dances, and a social time were enjoyed by representatives of the High School's adjacent boroughs and townships in Frackville.

On May 20, 1950, the High School Band participated in "Armed Forces Day" parade at Pottsville. Mr. Bomberger resigned and Thomas Gibson was elected to replace him this year. A Public School Library was established in the Washington School Building and the total number of students attending the Frackville Schools in 1950 was 1134. Mrs. Majorie Heslop was elected to fill the vacancy on the School Board caused by the death of her husband, William E. Heslop on November 10, 1950. Dr. William Dougherty died on December of that year and Dr. O. H. Mengel was elected Medical Inspector in January 1951.

In January 1951 the use of the Goodwill Hose Company Fire Whistle was instituted to signal students when there would be no school that day because of inclement weather or of half day sessions. In March of that year the Schuylkill County Recreational Association was formed.

In January 1952 students paid ten cents each to have their names included on a gigantic telegram which was sent to Senators James H. Duff, and Edward A. Martin and Secretary Thomas K. Finletter to have a proposed new air force base located in Schuylkill County. The Jefferson School was vacated in April, 1952 and in May of that year a Junior High School Unit was established. Mrs. Emily Engle resigned as Home Economics teacher and was replaced by Mrs. Jean Hall. The swimming pool opened at Memorial Park on July 26, 1952 and a Youth Canteen Project was also established this year.

Mr. W. R. Trautman resigned on June 30, 1953 and Mrs. Charles W. Drumm was elected supervising principal. The Frackville Woman's Club donated baby and adult swings for the Memorial Park this year and the iron fence around the Roosevelt Building was removed. Roy Wertz was killed in an automobile accident and Mrs. Adah Speidel Hartman and Mrs. Eleanor Rugienius resigned. A piano was presented to the School District by Miss Lillie Beard.

Martha Heywood died on June 7, 1955. Thomas Gibson resigned, Donald Bricker and S Henry Pascavage were elected to the faculty and Mrs. Verdilla Wolfgang returned to her position in September of that year. On February 3 and 4. 1956, an Eastern All-State Band Festival with Prof. Erik Leidzen of New York City as guest conductor, was held in town with 174 school districts represented. Peter Fatula represented Schuylkill County in the National Spelling Bee at Washington D.C. Franklin R. Wolfe resigned his position and Peter Carpenter was elected this year.

In 1957, Paul F. Berdanier of Jackson Heights, New York, presented an oil painting which was placed in the library. New velour stage curtains and side window curtains at a cost of $1,564, were installed on June 10, 1957. Mrs. Doris Hassler was elected to the faculty and Esther Burchill, Elizabeth Gilbert and Peter Carpenter resigned that year. In August, Miss Alice R. Morgan was named Director of Secondary Education; Mr. Stanley Rakowsky was named Assistant Director of Business Administration; and Mrs. Verdilla Wolfgang was named Director of Frackville School System in charge of all activities. In October of that year the third series of polio shots were given to 852 students.

In 1958, Joseph Renaldi, George Guldin and Galen Klinger were elected to the faculty. A "Special School" was established on September 8, at the Lincoln School with Miss Purnell as instructor. In November of that year the County Bar Association sponsored a tour of the Court House for all 9th and 12th grade students in the county.

On May 5, 1959, the United States Post Office Department offered $12,000 to erect a new Post Office on the ground of the Roosevelt School Building, 75 x 100 feet on the corner of Frack and Balliet Streets; the School District would be responsible for the demolishing of the Roosevelt Building. This bid was rejected on motion of Lindenmuth and Batdorf with Felsburg, Smith, and Walter agreeing and Beddow voting against the motion realizing the cost involved in the holding of the building. Mrs. Gladys Egge, School Nurse, died December 4, 1959; a memorial, an audrometer, scale and eye chart were presented on May 2, 1960 in her memory. Marilou Malloy was elected to the faculty, Mrs. Margaret Runkle was elected School Nurse and Stanley Rakowsky was named High School Principal.

Speech therapy was started in the school district in January 1960 with the service being rendered by the County Speech Officer. Vivian Starr and James Campbell won the awards for the outstanding essay by a Junior student in the American Legion Essay Contest, "What is the Role of the Student in the American Political Scene." Attorney Michael Chwasitak was elected solicitor for the school district and Verna Hampton resigned. On August 12, 1960 a motion was made to repair and renovate the Franklin and Lincoln School Buildings. Contractor, John J. O'Hearn was awarded the contract for the Franklin building and John J. Becker was awarded the contract to renovate the Lincoln building.

The High School Band participated in the dedication of the new Post Office on April 15, 1961 and Mr. Joseph Costa was elected to the Library Science Department that year. The Roosevelt School Building was closed this year as a school facility but the first floor rooms were used for the Frackville Youth Canteen. Mr. Walter R. Lash died, Alice R. Morgan retired, and Clarence W. Swade was elected to the faculty this year. In 1962, Jean Sarra Jones and Bernice Gazan were elected as teachers, and Arminta Handelong, and Verdilla Wolfgang resigned.

A trophy case, made by Michael Sweador and presented by the Class of 1962 was the class gift to the School District this year. Emmeline Gazan, Dorothy Seidel, Margaret Phillips, and William Toolan were elected to the faculty. Elizabeth Gilbert, who previously taught for twenty- six years was re-elected, Stephen Starkey was appointed Head Football Coach, John Demko, was appointed Track Coach. Charles Guiditus was elected associate superintendent.

Charles Drumm, Leo Wingle and Joseph Rinaldi resigned and Miss Mia Frew resigned after serving the Frackville Schools for forty-three years. In September, 1963, the reading of the Bible was discontinued in the public schools by ruling of the Attorney General of the Commonwealth Pennsylvania. On November 25, there was no session of school so that the students could watch the funeral of President Kennedy on Television.

John Beddow died on January 12, 1964 after serving on the Board for forty-six years. John Clifford and Helen Earley were elected to the faculty and the teaching years of Miss Myrtle Purnell were terminated. The services of secretaries, Doris Raker and Marion Clark was terminated July 29, 1964, secretary. Betty Eichelberger resigned and Anne Kessock and Nancy Weitz were elected as secretaries. On March 30, 1964 Baccalaureate Services were discontinued by the Superior Court Decision on Bible reading and prayer in the public schools.

William Toolan, Charles C. Wagner, and Dr. C. William Guiditus resigned in 1965 and Edward Wojciechowski, Edward Warda and Edmund Stoudt were elected to the faculty.

The Professional Faculty and Staff Listing for 1965-1966 were:

Constance Balche, Bernard Balkiewicz, Stephen Bobiak, Donald Bricker, John Clifford, Joseph Costa, Mary Connelly, John Demko, Helen Earley, George Grabey, George Guildin, Jean Hall, Robert Hall, Jack James, John Miller.

Henry Pascavage, Stanley Rakowsky, Dorothy Seidel, John Socker, Stephen Starkey, Edmund Stoudt, Clarence Swade, Elizabeth Wagner, Edward Warda, Edward Wojciechowski, Mary Caton, Jean Connelly, Sarah Farley, Emmeline Gazan, Elizabeth Gilbert.

Helen Guy, Edith Hampton,, Viola Herb, Jeanne Jones, Esther Kienzle, Anna Lindenmuth, Anne Maloney, Jeanne Morgan, Doris Palsgrove, Helen Socker, Ethel Swade, Helen Whalen, Blanche Williams, Kathryn Williams, Ruth Williams, Margaret Runkle.

The enrollment in the Frackville School District at this time was 1091 students. On October 25, 1965 the "Town Clock Building" and the Jefferson School Building, were transferred to Frackville Borough Council. Council President Walter Stepanaskie accepted the presentation of these buildings for $1.00.

John Miller and Edward Wojciechowski resigned in 1966. The Frackville Memorial Park, Football Field and Swimming Pool Area was transferred to the Frackville Borough Council. The final meeting of the Frackville School District was held June 27, 1966. The School Board members at this time were: Roy Fellows, Maynard Fellows, John Lindenmuth, George Hinkle, James Robinson, Michael Giba, Daniel West, and Michael Chwastiak, Solicitor.

The Frackville School District became a member of the North Schuylkill School District on July 1, 1966.

Content Copyright © 2015 Lorraine Stanton and Deborah Stanton Janov.
Use of this site constitutes your acceptance of these Conditions of Use.