I received my Ph.D. at the College of Information Sciences and Technology, The Pennsylvania State University, under the advising of
Dr. Peng Liu and Dr. Xinyu Xing. Before I joined Penn State, I received my bachelor's degree at University of Science and Technology of China (2009-2013).
My research interests include software security and system security. The goal of my research is to automate vulnerability finding, analysis, and mitigation.
I also do research to neutralize the threats of malware. I play CTF games.
If you share my interests and would like to join me as a PhD student or intern, please send me an email.
Alejandro Cuevas (Intern 2018.09 - ) [CCTV2 News]
Recent Research Highlight
[CCS'18] LEMNA provides a high-fidelity deep learning explanation method dedicated for security applications,
such as binary disassembling and malware classification.
[July/2018] Our database for the analysis, PoC and execution environments of over 400 vulnerabilities is open sourced. Check out
the docker images here: https://vulnreproduction.github.io/
[USENIX Security'18] FUZE leverages fuzzing and symbolic execution to facilitate automated Kernel Use-After-Free exploit.
[Feb/2018] CREDAL and POMP wins Penn State Alumni Association Dissertation Award.
[Nov/2017] Starts a project with JD.com Security on discovering vulnerabilities on IoT devices.
[CCS'17] FlashGuard proposes a lightweight and low-cost solution with SSDs to defend against encryption ransomware.
[USENIX Security'17] POMP leverages Intel Processor Tracing and reverse execution to diagnoze software crash without source code.
[CCS'16] CREDAL analyzes core dumps caused by memory corruption vulnerabilities to locate the crash point, restore
the stack trace, and narrow down code segments carrying vulnerabilities.
A Symbolic N-Variant System
Jun Xu, Pinyao Guo, Bo Chen, Robert F Erbacher, Ping Chen, Peng Liu
The 2016 ACM Workshop on Moving Target Defense (MTD'16 Demo).
- Research Assistant, Pennsylvania State University.
- Cyber Security Lab, 2013-2018
- Intern, Samsung Research America
- System security, Summer 2017
- Intern, FireEye Inc.
- Ransomware detection and analysis, Summer 2016
- Intern, FireEye Inc.
- Malware unpacking, Summer 2015
- Intern, Shisheng Inc.
- Stock market monitoring, Summer 2013
- Teaching Assistant, Pennsylvania State University.
- [SRA211] Introduction to Informaiton Security, Spring 2017
- [SRA211] Introduction to Informaiton Security, Fall 2016
Honor and Award
- RSA Scholarship, RSA Conference 2017, U.S.A.
- Student Travel Grant, CCS 2016
- Outstanding Honor for National Undergraduates Innovative Project 2013, China
- Guo-Moruo Scholarship, University of Science and Technology of China 2013
List of Vulnerability
The full list of vulnerabilities I and my collaborators discovered: link