Tales from a Lifetime of Resistance



1. High school years 1945-1949
    This was immediately after the second world war. The remnant of Jewry in Europe was unwilling or unable to stay in Europe. Though about 5 million Jews were killed during the Nazi regime, there still were about 1.5 million left whose only hope and desire was to get to Palestine. The Zionist movement was at its peak. Not much help, if any came from any country, including America. However, of the the approximately 5 million Jews in America 95% were active Zionists. There were 3 Zionist movements (orthodox Zionists, labor Zionists, and general Zionists), of which the general Zionists were by far the largest group in America.

    My father was the president of the general Zionists of upstate NY; my mother was the president of upstate NY Hadassah, the women’s arm of the Zionist movement; and I was the President of the upstate NY branch of Senior Judea, which was the high school branch. Senior Judea did not do much but hold discussions and have parties, but I did distribute literature and collect signatures to President Truman to lift the arms embargo to Palestine in 1947–48, when the British had left and war broke out between the Jews and 5 Arab countries. I do not know if I did much good, but at least I made the effort.

    In spite of President Truman’s embargo on arms to the middle east, American Jews provided the money and arms to fight the war of independence. A wealthy business man in Rochester, NY (my home town) who ran an electric motor company was caught with 30,000 dynamite caps in his warehouse. On trial, he got an Irish judge, who was a big supporter of the Irish Republican Army in Ireland.  As a result he was sympathetic to the Jewish cause. He just gave the Jewish business man a slap on the wrist.

    Much of the money for illegal purposes was raised by the Jewish mob. Meyer Lansky and Mickey Cohen were big contributors. However the key figure who saved the Jews was Lucky Luciano, the most important mob leader of his time. He ran the Italian branch of the mob, while Meyer Lansky ran the Jewish branch.

    They worked closely together. Lucky Luciano’s mob controlled the maritime union. As a favor to Lansky, he saw to it that the contraband arms going on ships to Palestine Jews were not confiscated by the feds. Somewhat later, the U. S. government was leaning on Lansky, so he fled to what had become Israel. The U. S. government demanded that he be returned to the U. S., but the Israelis refused to extradite him. If it were not for him there would have been no Israel.

2. College years 1949–1962
    I attended Cornell University from 1949–1954 and the University of Rochester from 1954–1958. I was not active in civil liberties in those years, because I was busy getting educated for a career and fooling around with the girls (as we called them then). However two events which changed my life style occurred in 1958. I received my Ph.D. in chemistry and met my wife. We got married in 1959, and are still together, along with 3 daughters, their husbands, and 8 grandchildren.

    My wife was a graduate student in mathematics at the University of California in Berkeley, so I moved there in 1960. That is when the action really began. In the summer of 1960 or 1961, the House Un-American Activities Committee met in San Francisco. On the first day, there was a demonstration in front of the building, and about 30 demonstrators were arrested. Susan and I attended the second day and actually got into the hearing room.

    What a circus! It is not clear who was more badly behaved, the Congressmen or the witnesses.

    In 1961, my wife and I moved into a house with 5 of her girlfriends. This was better than the playboy club. These gals cooked meals and threw great parties. We got along so well that every 18 months, we still have a reunion. Two of those gals now drag along their husbands.

3.  Aerospace Corporation 1962–1967
    In 1962, I took a job at the Aerospace Corporation in Los Angeles, a private company which worked only for the air force as its sole client. The job of this company was to make missiles that could penetrate the Soviet Union and protective devices to keep them from penetrating us.  I worked in the Research Branch of the company, which also acted as an adviser to the other two branches. I advised the penetrating branch.

    Working in the defense industry (never referred to as the war industry) was a strange experience.  In theory, the Soviet Union was the enemy.  However we had no idea of what the Soviets were doing, so our real enemy was the penetration defense part of our company.  If they could detect our missiles, then we had a to find away to compromise them, and vice versa.

    The other odd thing was that the Soviet Union was not our real enemy. NASA was.  If the Soviet Union announced some new missile, we had a party, and brought out the champaign, because we knew the money would start flowing in from Washington. However if NASA had a big success, we all were very glum. It meant that NASA would be siphoning our funding.

    There was some euphemistic language.  A bombing was called an “event.”  We did not openly acknowledge that there were nuclear weapons we would “deliver.” The nuclear bomb was always referred to as the “AEC (Atomic Energy Commission) package.”

    Two things we could not tolerate were war and peace. Either would wipe out our money. Eventually the Vietnam war did wipe out our funding, so I left the company and went to Penn State University as an associate professor in 1967.

    At Aerospace, some interesting problems came our way.  Westinghouse in Pittsburgh made nuclear fuel. An inventory uncovered a substantial amount was missing. We were given the task of figuring out what had happened. Finally we decided that probably the Israelis stole it. We stopped worrying about the problem then, because the nuclear material probably was in safer hands in Israel than in the U. S.

    Another problem we were given to solve was to locate a missing atomic bomb. We never did uncover its whereabouts. Probably it was at the bottom of the ocean, exploded, and caused one of the ensuing tidal waves. Ho hum!

    Once Norm Cohen and I were writing a review article on nitric oxide, a gas formed in missile reentry and combustion.  We came across an obscure note of just a few paragraphs that suggested an unknown chemical reaction involving nitric oxide. The paper was poor and the evidence was weak. However one of my research interests was the chemistry that produces photochemical smog. All the proposed mechanisms failed when actually put to the test.

    When I saw this reaction, I immediately recognized that it was the missing link in photochemical smog production. Cohen and I wrote a note explaining this, but it was refused by three scientific research journals. Nevertheless that is how Cohen and I finally correctly explained the chemistry of photochemical smog.  We never got published, but I did receive three awards for this work from the American Chemical Society, the Air Pollution Control Association, and the New York Academy of Sciences. I became well, but not widely, known in atmospheric chemistry circles.

    If one develops a new idea, tells his colleagues about it, and they commend him on his idea, one has moved science forward an inch, but not much more.  If his colleagues understand it, they would soon have discovered it themselves.  When they laugh at you and say that you are wrong, either you are, or you really have developed something currently beyond their understanding.  This is breakthrough work.  The rejection of our mechanism by three prestigious scientific journals convinced us that we really were onto something new and important.

    Nevertheless destroying the planet with missile warfare and saving it from photochemical smog at the same time were only my minor contributions to the world. Evenings and weekends, I was heavily engaged in the civil rights movement. At that time, housing segregation was a national problem. Blacks, Latinos, and East Asians were prohibited from moving into white neighborhoods by the housing builders and loan institutions.

4. Congress of Racial Equality 1962–1964
    The most interesting and important nullification was made by a judge. In fact he nullified two laws at once. When I lived in Los Angeles, I was the Action Chairman for the Los Angeles Congress of Racial Equality in 1962. One day a young black couple came to us and told us that they had tried to buy a house in Wilmington, a suburb of Los Angeles, but were denied. The husband was a postal worker, and they had small children.

    Their story was that the wife had found a house in the housing tract that she fell in love with and wanted very badly.  They offered to buy and were told OK if the mortgage arrangements were accepted by the loaning institution. Several days later, they were informed that their mortgage had been denied.

    However the wife wanted this house very much, so they made their own financial arrangements, returned to the housing tract, and said that they could pay cash for the house. They were informed that the house had been sold. Then they came to us. I told them that we would look into it.

    The next week, I sent a white woman to the tract to see if the house was sold. Of course it was not. The sales person was very interested in selling the house to the woman. She said that she was very interested, but her husband had to look at it. The salesman said sure.

    The following Sunday, I appeared at the housing tract, said that I was the woman’s husband, and that I would like to take some measurements to see if our furniture and drapes would fit. The sales man was agreeable and gave me the keys to the house.

    I opened the house, and the Congress of Racial Equality moved in. Simultaneously our public relations staff sent telegrams to the U. S. President, the U. S. Attorney, General, the California Governor, the California Attorney General, all the area police and sheriff departments, all the news media, and to the local municipal officials notifying them that now the Los Angeles Congress of Racial Equality owned the house. If the builder would come to the door with the deed, we would give him the money.

    Then the party started. We lived in the house. We were news in all the county media. People came to visit us, primarily from the black community, and brought us food. It was one big long party.

    The neighbors were furious. After one week, at 4:00 am, the occupants of the house were arrested. The locks were changed on the house doors, so we moved onto the lawn. If the neighbors objected to us in the house, they were more furious that we were living on the lawn.

    The arrests continued. Our people were arrested 4 times before we had a court appearance. We were defended by the Los Angles branch of the American Civil Liberties Union by two lawyers, one of whom had the fitting name of Abraham Lincoln Wirin, and the other was Fred Okrand.

    The judge heard this case and nullified two laws at once. We were guilty of trespassing, and the builder was guilty of violating the fair housing ordinance, but the judge dismissed the case.  However, he placed both sides under court orders. The Congress of Racial Equality was ordered to leave the housing tract and stay out.

    The builder was ordered to obey the fair housing act, whose penalty ordinarily was a $100 fine. The builder was the largest builder in northern and southern California. At the time he had $194 million dollars worth of houses (about $3 billion in current currency).

    Both sides knew that if they disobeyed the orders they would be imprisoned. The next week an identical house one block away was sold to the couple, because of some damage to the original house. The builder opened all of his housing tracts to the previously discriminated groups, which included, blacks, Latinos, and east Asians.

    Meanwhile we had been negotiating with Home Savings and Loan, the biggest mortgage lender in southern California. It agreed to provide mortgage money without discrimination. Not only that, The President of Home Savings and Loan hired one of our black women to be his executive secretary.

    Housing discrimination was ended in California. Civil disobedience does work, and no-one was physically hurt.

5. Penn State Years 1967–1941
    In 1967 I moved to Penn State University. This was the midst of the Vietnam war upheavals. Students were holding sit-ins and protests. Campus buildings were being bombed at some universities. At Penn State, buildings were occupied and demonstrators arrested in large numbers. The county prison could not accommodate them, so they were housed in the state prison until released on bail.

    I was active in the Centre County branch of the American Civil Liberties Union. I accepted the position of Police Practices Chair. We interviewed people who were arrested to see how they were treated. I am pleased to say that the police reacted very responsibly. There were no cases of serious manhandling.

    However the chemistry department was very concerned about a bombing in one of our four buildings. There were many flammable and explosive materials in the four chemistry buildings. A bombing in any of the chemistry buildings would be a disaster.

    We decided to have the buildings locked at 5:00 pm each day. Faculty members were assigned to patrolling the halls after 5:00 to allow only chemistry graduate students, faculty, and students taking night classes into the buildings. Furthermore if there was a fire, some of the flammable materials required special treatment to be extinguished. A knowledgeable chemistry person was needed to advise the firemen how to do this. I was one of the night-time hall monitors.

    Again, I was playing both sides of the game. I was helping students who were arrested, but also preventing them from doing anything dangerous. In the 1970s, I spent most of my time doing chemistry. It was a very productive period for me. I had many grants and many graduate assistants and postdoctoral fellows.

6. The Hebrew University 1973–1974
    In 1973, I took sabbatical leave at the Hebrew University in Jerusalem, Israel. While there I taught two graduate courses and wrote two books.

    However the Yom Kippur war broke out early in my stay. Early on Yom Kippur morning an Israeli airplane flew over Jerusalem at 6:00 am and buzzed the area. I nearly fell out of bed. I wondered what happened. It turned out that it was the call to arms. Every Israeli between the ages of 18 and 35 is in the army reserves. When they heard the buzzing they immediately got into uniform and cleaned their guns. Then they turned on the radio and waited to be told where to report for duty. It was their obligation to get there.

    That night I visited a neighbor who was a 35-year old chemistry professor. He was in uniform, cleaning his gun, and listening to the radio, waiting to be called to duty. The next morning he was on duty in the west bank. His wife told us to fill our bathtub with cold water, so we could have something to drink, if the water supply was knocked out. Also you keep a supply of candles in case there was no electricity.

    Our next door neighbor in our apartment building was an army doctor. Immediately when he heard the airplane buzzing us, he got up and went to Hadassah hospital at the edge of Jerusalem. By noon the hospital had been cleared of patients. Then he got into a helicopter and flew to the Sinai Peninsula where he did triage and brought wounded soldiers back to the hospital. He made several trips a day, since the front was only 20 minutes away by air. At evening he came home for supper, went to bed, and repeated his triage duties every day.

    We realized that many volunteer services would be needed. My wife worked as a volunteer in what was the Israeli USO. In the evening after dinner, I walked to a nearby bakery, which was one of the largest in Jerusalem. The city was blacked out, so I kept walking into trees and mangled my glasses.

    When I arrived at the bakery at about 7:00 pm, it was open, but deserted. Finally I found one secretary on duty and told her that I was there to help. She told me to see the person out in the driveway. I went out and found a 10-year old boy packing bread in boxes. There were bakers in the back somewhere baking bread, which appeared on moving belts. The boy taught me how to slice the bread, package it, and load it into boxes. At 7:45, he said that he had to go home to bed. He left me in charge of the bakery.

    I continued slicing, wrapping, and filling cartons with loaves of bread. Soon other volunteers came to help me. By 10 o’clock, I had 25 people working for me. It was the fastest promotion of my life. The boxes kept piling up.

    At 11:00 o’clock, two large army trucks appeared and started loading the cartons into their trucks. I asked them what they were doing. They told me that they were taking the bread to Sinai, about a 6-hour drive, to feed the troops breakfast.

    I repeated the evening work for several days until I had to return to the states for 2 weeks. If I had not showed up at the bakery, the Israeli troops would have starved, and Israel would have lost the war. That is how I won the Yom Kippur war for Israel.

    Israeli army life is different than American army life. Everyone, men and women, serve —3 years for men and 2 years for women, when they graduate high school. The men return for a month every year until the age of 35 to be with the same unit. They become very attached to each other. Also many of them bring their own vehicles. The theory is that, if the vehicle breaks down, the owner probably knows how to fix it.

    When the soldiers get leave, they have to get home by themselves. They go on the road and hitch a ride. No-one passes a soldier in uniform who is hitchhiking. It is the only time in our lives that my wife and I picked up two young men with submachine guns on a deserted road.

    When I returned from Israel, 1975 was my peak scientific year. My 2 books were published. I co-authored, with my army of gradate students and postdoctoral fellows, 25 scientific papers.

7. Soviet Refuseniks 1977–1988
    At this time I became aware of the plight of Soviet citizens being harassed for speaking out or trying to leave the country. Notably among those were Andrei Sakarov, Yuri Orlov, and Natan Sharansky. They were known as SOS. A committee was established to aid them.

    Andrei Sakarov was tried and exiled to Gorki.  After his sentence was over, he returned to Moscow. However he was so famous and contacted by so many people that he moved back to Gorki to avoid the interviews. Natan Sharansky ultimately was released from prison and went to Israel, where he is a member of parliament.  Yuri Orlov came to the U. S. and is a professor of Physics at Cornell University. I had the privilege of meeting him at a dinner one night in New York City.

    However there were many scientists who wanted to leave the Soviet Union. The American Physical Society, of which I was a member, had a Committee on the International Freedom of Scientists. As a part of that committee there were small committees to help individual scientists. I was assigned Yuri Kalenov. This was the most frustrating work of my life. Fighting the Soviet Union from State College, PA is not simple. It was not possible to make telephone calls to the Soviet Union. My certified letters were not received.

    If a certified letter is not received, the U. S. Post Office is supposed to pay you $15.00. I kept asking for this payment from the U. S. Post Office. It said that I should contact the Soviet Post Office. I replied “oh no.” My contract was with the U. S. Post Office, not the Soviet Post Office. The U. S. Post Office should deal with the Soviet Post Office. This got nowhere, so a group of us tried to sue the U. S. Post Office for breach of contract. The court threw out our suit.

    However, I started smuggling letters into the Soviet Union with visitors to the Soviet Union. Letters from the refusenik to me were smuggled out of the Soviet Union, once by the French Foreign Ministry, and once by the U. S. State Department. Finally I received a letter from Kalenov from the Netherlands. He had been allowed to leave.

    In 1983, I was asked to chair the Small Committees, which I did from 1983–1986.  I had a group of about 50 scientists from around the world working to release Soviet scientists. By now things had eased up. Letters flowed back and forth. Even telephone calls could be made.

    I started a correspondence with Soviet Premier Yuri Andropov.  However this turned out to be a one way correspondence, even though my salutation was “Dear Comrade Yuri.”  On the other hand, President Reagan did not answer my letters either.

    Our small committees started to succeed in some cases. The problem most scientists had who wanted to leave was to get clearance from their department head that they had not worked on secret work. The department heads would not cooperate, because of fear of the KGB.

    I started calling the department heads, all of whom I contacted spoke English, to ask them to write the necessary release letter to the emigration authorities. I was a well known international scientist. The department heads knew of me by reputation. They all wanted to go to international scientific meetings, but they had to get invitations from the organizing committees of those meetings. I sat on some of those committees, and the Soviet scientist knew it. It came to the point that they wanted to please me more than they feared the KGB. Usually about three weeks after I made such a call, I would receive a letter from the refusenik saying that he got his emigration visa.

    From 1985–1987, I was a member of an international committee organized by the French scientists to gain the release of chemist Youri Tarnopolski.  He was released in 1987, came to the United States, and wanted to work in my laboratory, but I did not have the funds to support him.

    In 1985 and 1986, President Reagan met with  Soviet Premier Gorbachev. One of the issues was emigration of Soviet citizens. Before this visit, the U. S. State Department called me, and I suppose many others, to get information about specific refuseniks. In 1987, I joined the Board of Directors of the Committee of Concerned Scientists, of which I am still a member, which expanded my reach.

    Finally in about 1990, emigration was permitted from the Soviet Union. The emigrants were mostly Jews and people from other minority religions. I expected about 100–300 thousand Jews would emigrate. However in the first year about 150 thousand people emigrated to Israel. Now the total Soviet influx to Israel alone is about 700,000. About 75% are officially Jewish. Large number of Soviets have emigrated to the Americas and Europe.

    Ronald Reagan and I broke the Soviet Union. I admit that I could not have done it without his help. But he could not have done it without the help from me and many others working in the movement.

8. Prison Reform
    One day in about 1995, I was drinking beer and watching TV. I kept changing channels, until the clicker dropped to the floor. I was too drunk to retrieve it, so I was stuck watching CSpan. On the air was a boring report from the PA Commissioner of Corrections to the budget committee of the PA legislature. I am sure that I was the only person watching this program, and that was not by choice. The Commissioner asked for a budget of about $1 billion for the state prisons. This did not include the county prisons. This seemed like a lot of money, and I would be paying for it.

    My interest was aroused. I wrote to the Department of Corrections for the report.  I was partially paying all of this money. I was mad. Why should I be supporting the deadbeat drug users and other harmless criminals. I became interested in U. S. prison work.

    Already I was involved in Amnesty International since 1994 as member of the Freedom Writer’s Network and the Urgent Action Program.  I was Faculty Advisor to Amnesty at Penn State University, 1997.

    But now, I really became active in U. S. prison reform.  I did the following:

Conducted a biweekly seminar in Talmud at the State Correctional Institution at Rockview (1996).
Official Visitor, Pennsylvania Prison Society, 1996.
Staff member, CentrePeace, 1996
Mentor, Project Change of Centre County, 1996.
Founder, Smart on Crime (a citizen's lobby), 1996; Executive Director, 1996-present
Area Coordinator, Justice Fellowship Task Force, 1996-1997.
Prison Reporter, Voices of Central Pennsylvania, 1997.

    Soon I realized that this was not sufficient. I organized the Centre County Libertarian Party. It grew and became active. Finally it occurred to me that perhaps I should inform the state and national parties of my rogue organization.

    Together with Smart on Crime, we decided to take on the drug war. We started the marijuana smoke outs in 1997. For three years, I and others smoked marijuana at noon on every Thursday at the main gates of Penn State University and on a couple of occasions in front of the Centre County Courthouse. I was arrested five times for smoking marijuana and once for using an electronic bullhorn.  One result was that the bullhorn prohibition ordinance was declared unconstitutional.  I sued the municipality, and it gave me $8000.00 in an out-of-court settlement. After a while,  the President Judge of the Centre County Court of Common Pleas ordered the police to never arrest me and bring me into court again.  I was too much of a nuisance.  After that the police left us alone.

    At the time, it did not seem that we were having much effect. Marijuana was illegal in every state. However, along with many other organization of which I was a member, medical marijuana is now legal in 15 states. In another six weeks, it should be legal in California for recreational use. This seems like slow progress when you are living through it, but in historical terms it is a rapid reversal of policy.

9. Anti-Semitism 2002–Present
    European Jews emigrated to the United States in great numbers at the end of the 19th century and the beginning of the 20th century.  My grandparents were among them. They encountered discrimination, as did all immigrant groups when they arrived.  Over the years that mitigated.  It ended for Jews at about 1950.  Then started the golden years of American Jewry.  Anti-Semitism returned just before the 21st century.

    Incidents occur regularly at all U. S. and Canadian universities. Particularly nasty incidents occur at the University of California in Irvine. These have been described in the September, 2010, issue of Commentary magazine by Kenneth L. Marcus, the former Head of the U. S. Department of Education’s Office for Civil Rights:

“Jewish students were physically and verbally harassed, threatened, shoved, stalked, and targeted by rock-throwing groups and individuals.  Jewish property was defaced with swastikas, and a Holocaust memorial was vandalized.  Signs were posted on campus showing a Star of David dripping with blood.  Jews were chastised for arrogance by public speakers whose appearance at the institution was subsidized by the university.  They were called ‘dirty Jew and fucking Jew,’ told to ‘go back to Russia’ and ‘burn in hell,’ and heard other students and visitors to the campus urge one another to ‘slaughter the Jews.’  One Jewish student who wore a pin bearing the flags of the United states and Israel was told to ‘take off that pin or we’ll beat your ass.’  Another was told: ‘Jewish students are the plague of mankind’ and ‘Jews should be finished off in the ovens.’”

    “When complaints were lodged over these incidents, which took place in 2003 and 2004, the university responded either with relative indifference or with little urgency.  But when the federal government was asked in 2004 to intervene to deal with the incidents that its own investigators had determined to be clear-cut violations of the civil rights of Irvine’s Jewish students, the U. S. Department of Education Office for Civil Rights failed to prosecute a single case.”

Apparently the Civil Rights Act protects only race and national origin, but not religion.

    Jew hating is fashionable, not only in the Muslim religion, but also in some Christian denominations.  As a result, I wrote letter “To My Christian Neighbors” which I submitted as a paid advertisement to the Centre Daily Times, the county’s local daily newspaper. I knew it would not be accepted as a letter to the editor. At first, the paid advertisement was rejected. But after reconsideration, the newspaper accepted a slightly modified version with peoples names omitted. Also I distributed this letter in front of the Presbyterian and United Church of Christ churches for actions against Israel on Sunday mornings and the University campus during the week.  The letter is:


    The United States is at war against terror. Some Christian churches have initiated punitive action against Israel, one of our staunchest allies in this war, because Israel has built a fence to prevent terrorists from entering Israel and killing its inhabitants.

    The United Church of Christ (http://www.ucc.org/search/results.php?q=Israel) and the Disciples of Christ (http://www.disciples.org/ga05/ResolutionsPostGA/0522.htm) have formally encouraged its members “to engage in prayer, study, and dialogue about the barrier and to raise diligently with their governmental officials these concerns.” The World Council of Churches (http://www2.wcc-coe.org/pressreleasesen.nsf/index/pu-04-11.html) “calls on all member churches and ecumenical partners to condemn the wall as an act of unlawful annexation."

    These organizations have not condemned the U. S. for building a fence on its Mexican border to keep Mexicans from entering the U. S. to work.

    Likewise the U. S. Presbyterian Church(http://www.pcusa..org/mrti/actions.htm) and the World Council of Churches (http://www.eappi.org/pressreleasesen.nsf/index/pr-cc-05- 08.html) have initiated stock divestment programs against companies doing business with Israel. They have not taken comparable action against China for occupying Tibet and destroying its culture, nor against Saudi Arabia for prohibiting the open practice of Christianity, nor against North Korea for sending Christians to disappear in its gulag, nor against Sudan for committing genocide in Darfur.

    When I moved to Centre County 38 years ago, it was a tolerant community. I was happy to live and raise my children here. Now this community has become highly anti-Semitic. This is even a source of pride in some liberal Christian circles. The Centre Daily Times (CDT) routinely publishes lies about Jews (letters of June 27, 2003, and September, 23, 2004, by Marjorie S. Newell; September 24, 2003, by Reed M. Smith; November 28, 2003, by Kazimierz Wiesak; and September 10, 2004, by Dean Tuttle).

    Penn State University has become a hot bed of anti-Semitism, as pointed out by Tuvia Abramson in his CDT article of May 16, 2005 (omitted from the CDT web archives). Intellectual dishonesty is the cardinal sin of academic institutions. Falsifying facts is grounds for dismissal of faculty and staff, for expulsion of students, and for disbanding university sponsored organizations. Yet the Penn State administration does not take meaningful action to stop slander and libel against Jews on its campuses.
    Christians have hated, persecuted, and murdered Jews for over 1000 years in Europe. America was founded with dedication to religious freedom and tolerance. It was the great hope for Jews, who came to this country in huge numbers. Now this hope is being dashed. Apparently the disease of Jew hating is so ingrained in Christianity that it even will cause Christians to take action against Jews when that action is inimical to their own interests.

    Stop hating Jews. Jews are not the enemies of Christianity.
Julian Heicklen
Patton Township
September 12, 2005

    A slightly modified version of this letter appeared as a paid advertisement in the Centre Daily Times of September 25, 2005. I also distributed this letter on Sunday mornings in front of the local Presbyterian and United Church of Christ churches and weekdays on the University campus.

    I was arrested for demonstrating across from the UN building on April 17, 2007, when President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad of Iran gave a speech. The charge was failure to obey an order of a police officer. At arraignment, I was told to appear in court on July 17, 2007. I asked the court by mail to explain the reason for the appearance, since I was not committed at arraignment. I received no response, so I notified the court that I would not appear.

    By telephone, I was notified by the Clerk of Court that an arrest warrant would be issued if I did not appear. I did not appear, and the warrant was issued. Three years later on May 25, 2010, I was arrested under the warrant by federal marshals. I spent two weeks in Riker’s Island prison before I was brought into court. The prosecuting assistant district attorney dismissed the case in the interest of justice. The prosecuting attorney nullified the law. I assume that this is standard operating practice for law enforcement. Punish first, then dismiss the case.

    In the summer of 2007, I picketed the New York Times Building in New York City with a sign that read “NY TIMES HATES JEWS.” In addition I distributed a flyer which listed many false or irrelevant news items.  The worst was a picture of a snarling Israeli soldier standing over a bloodied man lying on the ground. The caption read “Israeli soldier beating a Palestinian youth on the Temple Mount.”  None of this was true.  First the soldier was standing in front of a gasoline pump, so the incident occurred at a gas station, not at the Temple Mount.  Second the man on the ground was Tuvia Grossman, a Jewish student from Chicago, who was being beaten to death by an Arab mob.  The soldier saved his life, though he was severely wounded.

10. FIJA Actions
    A federal court judge is required by court rules to instruct the jury that it must uphold the law as he gives it to them. He is lying. The jury must judge the law as well as the facts. Juries were instituted to protect the citizens from the tyranny of government. It is not the duty of the jury to uphold the law. It is the jury’s duty to see that justice is done.

    The American Jury Institute is dedicated to educating the public about jury nullification. Its supporters are spreading the message at courthouses all over the country.

    I have distributed Fully Informed Jury Information (FIJA) literature at 20 U. S. Courthouses. At ten of these, I was not bothered by police. In Philadelphia, PA, Trenton, NJ, Alexandria, VA, Washington, DC., Albany NY, and Pittsburgh, PA, the federal police tried to drive us away, but we would not leave, so they left us alone.  In Allentown, PA, at our first visit, George Donnelly was arrested for photographing on federal property. At three subsequent visits, no federal officers even approached us.

    We have demonstrated in Manhattan 12 times. Once bile was arrested for photographing. Ten times I was arrested and once I was robbed for distributing literature. In addition I have been arrested at the one appearance I made in both Springfield, MA, and Newark, NJ.

    In Newark, Springfield and 9 times in New York, I have been sent to hospitals for extraordinary rendition. Now I am the defendant in three criminal trials at the three locations where I have been arrested. Also I have filed a civil claim against the Department of Homeland Security, the New York City Fire Department, three hospitals, and the U. S. Central Violations Bureau.  In addition I filed criminal complaints against the above parties with both the federal and NY State grand juries, but those complaints have been ignored.

    After the first arrest in Manhattan, Tyranny Fighters was born. I send a periodic progress report by E-mail to about 250 people who have joined Tyranny Fighters. Several Tyranny Fighters have joined my demonstrations. Some of them are here.

    The FIJA demonstrations have spread over the country. Jim Cox runs regular demonstrations in Orlando, Tampa, Miami, Fort Lauderdale, and West Palm Beach, Fl. Ofer Nave and others demonstrate at all 12 court houses in New Hampshire. Many of you demonstrate at the Montgomery, PA County courthouse. There are regular demonstrations in Fort Worth, TX. Probably there are others of which I am not aware.

11. Publicity
    I was asked to be a host of a weekly one-hour radio show on the Internet station LWRN. Just last Saturday at 1:00 pm was our first broadcast. Tomorrow at the same time will be our second broadcast discussing FIJA.    The Saturdays in October are devoted to the important minor political parties. On November 2, Dale Robertson, President of the Tea Party will be our guest. On November 9, Wes Benedict, the Executive Director of the Libertarian Party will be our guest. On November 16, Scott McLarty, Media Coordinator for the Green Party, will be our guest. I have invited Jim Clymer, the President of the Constitution Party, to be our guest, but he has not accepted our invitation yet. The Committee for Medical Marijuana in New Jersey has accepted an invitation to appear in November. Tonight, I hope to recruit some of you to be guests.

    I am writing a book titled The “Non-Trials” that is near completion. It will be published early next year.

    Some of you already are Tyranny Fighters.    For those of you that are not, this is your chance to join. A clip board is being passed around. All you have to do to be a Tyranny Fighter is print your name and E-mail address. There are no membership fees or dues. We have no budget or written platform. There are no officers and no meetings. All of our time is devoted to fighting tyranny.

    Thank you for the opportunity to speak tonight and party together. If you would like a written copy of this talk, copies are available here.