We did a through inspection today. Food stores are getting better thanks to feeding, but not as much capped honey as I would have hoped. But most of the frames in the top super are much heavier than they were 2 weeks ago.
Still see plenty of brood in the middle box and found a lot of larva not yet capped around the brood. We're confident that Bertha is still doing her job. We also plan to keep feeding.
10 October 2009
I've been putting 2 quarts a day in the entrance feeder and they are still taking it down rather quickly, though they may be slowing some. I noted that today it took almost 7 hours before the full feuded was emptied. This suggests to me that they may be slowing.
If the weather is agreeable tomorrow, perhaps we'll get into the top deep and see how the stores look.
15 October 2009
It's been a wacky weather year and that trends continues. The date is correct -- the picture above shows our hive on October15. It was the earliest snow ever for this area as we got 5-6 inches of wet, heavy snow. It wreaked havoc on the tree which in turn knocked power out throughout Centre County. We lost power for about 12 hours and consider ourselves lucky; some went much longer.
The tree in the photo is around the bend from our house and just one of many that lost body parts.
The bees spent the day in the house :-).
19 October 2009
Temperatures climbed back up into the 60s today and the bees were back to their busy ways. I stopped with the food during the cold snap, but started feeding again for a short while. They are still sucking down the food and I'm many bees returning to the hive with a full load of pollen.
25 October 2009
We're about done with the feeding now; temps are getting cold at night. I should have kept better records and I don't know exactly how much food I've given them over the past month, but I'm sure I made over 10 gallons of bee tea during that time. The comb in the top deep is pretty well full of honey, even though much of it is not caped. I'm told by some veteran beeks that not capping isn't really anything to worry about.
The set up now is 3 deeps, then the inner cover, then an empty medium capped with the telescoping top. We have some fondant and expect to be that on the hive before too long.
I feel like we've done all we can and now we have to hope for the best.