The current research interests include:
1. Bioprinting of pancreatic organ for type-I diabetes
2. Vascular and vascularized tissue printing and angiogenesis
3. In-situ composite tissue printing
4. Scaffold-free tissue printing
5. Bioprinting of organ-a-chip models including cancer, pancreas and heart
6. Development of new bioinks for advanced tissue printing
7. Development of new bioprinter technologies
8. Understanding physics of bioprinting processes
9. Bioprinting tumor models for immune-cancer cell interactions.
Dr. Ozbolat is a Harzt Family Associate Professor of Engineering Science and Mechanics Department, Biomedical Engineering Department, and a faculty member of the Huck Instiututes of the Life Sciences, Materials Research Institute, Center for Neural Engineering, Center for Innovative Materials Processing through Direct Digital Deposition, and Center for Research on Advanced Fiber Technologies at the Penn State University. Previously, he was a faculty member of The University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA and spearheaded Advanced Manufacturing Technology Group and the Biomanufacturing Laboratory. He received his Ph.D. in tissue engineering from the University at Buffalo (SUNY) in Buffalo, New York, and dual B.S. degrees in Mechanical Engineering and in Industrial Engineering from Middle East Technical University, Ankara, Turkey.
Dr. Ozbolat's major research thrust is in the area of Bioprinting and Tissue Engineering. His research on bioprinting for tissue and organ fabrication has been published in several high quality of venues, received various awards and featured in national and international media, broadcast TVs and press numerous times. He frequently give talks at national and international forums, conferences and seminars and organizes demonstrations and events to public and youth to encourage participation of future's engineers in medicine, engineering and science. His technology spun off two start-up companies and he is a member of American Society of Mechanical Engineers, Institute of Industrial and Systems Engineering, Tissue Engineering and Regenerative Medicine International Society, IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society, Alpha Pi Mu, Society of Manufacturing Engineers, and Regenerative Medicine Manufacturing Society.
1. Harzt Family Career Professorship in Engineering (2017)
2. FAME Jr Award, the International Outstanding Young Researcher in Freeform and Additive Manufacturing Award (2015)
3. Hamed K. Eldin Outstanding Early Career IE in Academia Award (2015)
4. Who's Who in America (2015)
5. ASME Chao and Trigger Young Manufacturing Engineer Award (2014)
6. ASME Pi Tau Sigma Gold Medal Award (2014)
7. National Science Foundation (NSF) CAREER Award (2014)
8. Society of Manufacturing Engineers Outstanding Young Manufacturing Engineer Award (2014)
9. IIE Industrial and Systems Engineering Research Conference, Manufacturing and Design Best Track Paper, San Juan, Puerto Rico (2013)
10. Article Selected in 2013 Highlights of Biofabrication, IOP (2013)
11. Start up Launch Award, The University of Iowa (2013)
12. Leadership Award, Center for Computer-Aided Design (2013)
13. Innovations in Teaching with Technology Award, Iowa City (2013)
14. Innovations in Teaching with Technology Award, Iowa City (2012)
15. The University of Iowa Old Gold Summer Fellowship Award (2012)
16. 3rd Prize Recipient in the UB Engineering Graduate Student Poster Competition (2010)
17. Winner of Industrial & Systems Engineering Department Poster Competition (2010)
18. University at Buffalo, Graduate Research Assistantship (sponsored by DOD) (2009)
19. University at Buffalo, Graduate Teaching Assistantship (2007, 2009)
20. Turkish National Education Foundation Scholar for Undergraduate Study (2002-2006)
21. Bronze Medal, 3rd International Mathematics Olympics, The Scientific & Technological Research Council of Turkey (1998)
Invited Keynote Talk: "TBD", Tissue Engineering and Regenerative Medicine International Conference, Sao Paulo, Brazil (January 2019).
Invited Keynote Talk: "TBD", Cellink Partnership Conference, Miami, FL (November 2018).
Invited Panelist: "Additive Manufacturing of Tissues and Organs," Economic Development in the Age of the Digital Enterprice: Implications for Healthcare, Aerospace and Finance, Scottsdale, AZ (Sept 2018).
Invited Ketnote Talk: "3D Bioprinting of Living Tissues and Organs," Syposium organized by Shenzhen Institute of Advanced Technology, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Shenzhen, China (August 2018)
Invited Keynote Talk: "Bioprinting for 3D Cancer Microenvironment", 2nd Worskop on Biofabrication and Cancer, Bordeaux, France (June 2018).
Buchanan Lecture: 3D Bioprinting of Cartilage Tissue for Osteoarthiritis, Department of Orthopeadics and Rehabilitation, Hershey, PA (June 2018).
Invited Talk: 3D Bioprinting, ARMI Biofabrication Workshop, BiofabUSA, Manchester, NH (June 2018).