Ph.D., P.E. (OH)
Assistant Professor of Engineering
Co-Coordinator of Rail Transportation Engineering (RTE) Program
3000 Ivyside Park, 103 G Sheetz H&W Center
Altoona, PA 16601
Ph.D. Civil Engineering, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 2009
M.S. Civil Engineering, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 2005
B.S. Civil Engineering, Southeast University, 1998
Track Dynamics under Mixed Traffic (HSR & Freight)
Advanced Computational Modeling Techniques for Soil/Granular Materials
Used in Transportation Infrastructures
Performance of Recycled Material in Pavement Base Course
Railroad Base Course (Asphalt Track-bed) Performance under Dynamic Moving Train Load
Registered Professional Engineer (PE), OHIO
Member and Secretary, Railroad Maintenance Committee AR060, Transportation Research Board.
1. Huang, H., and Tutumluer, E., “Discrete Element Modeling of Fouled Railroad Ballast,” accepted for
publication, Journal of Construction and building Materials, 2011
2. Huang, H., Tutumluer, E., Y. M. A. Hashash, and J. Ghaboussi., “Digital Image Aided Particle Shape
Characterization for Discrete Element Modeling of Granular Materials,” Submitted to the ASCE
International Journal of Geomechanics, 2010.
3. Tutumluer, E., Huang, H., and Bian, X., “Geogrid-aggregate Interlock Studied by an Image Aided
Discrete Element Method”, accepted for publication, the Special Issue of ASCE International Journal
of Geomechanics, 2010.
4. Huang, H., Tutumluer, E., and W. Dombrow, “Laboratory Characterization of Fouled Railroad
Ballast Behavior,” the Journal of Transportation Research Record, Vol. 2117, 2010.
5. Huang, H., S. Shen, and Tutumluer, “A Sandwich Model to Evaluate Railroad Asphalt Trackbed
Performance under Moving Load,” the Journal of Transportation Research Record, Vol. 2117, 2010.
6. Huang, H., S. Shen, and Tutumluer, “Moving Load on Track with Asphalt Trackbed,” the Journal of
Vehicle System Dynamics, 48:6, 737-749.
7. Shen, S., Chiu, H., and Huang, H., “Characterization of Fatigue and Healing for Asphalt Binders,” the
ASCE Journal of Materials in Civil Engineering, Vol. 22, No.9, 2010.
8. Donovan, P.H., Tutumluer, E., and Huang, H., “Unbound Aggregate Deformation Behavior due to
Traffic Wander – an Investigation Using Discrete Element Modeling,” the Journal of Transportation
Research Record, Vol. 2154, 164-175, 2010.
9. Shen, S., G.D. Airey, S. H. Carpenter, and H. Huang, “Ratio of Dissipated Energy Change Approach
to Fatigue Evaluation of Asphalt Mixtures, Binders and Bitumen-Filler Mastics,” International
Journal of Road Materials and Pavement Design, Vol. 7, Issue 1, 2006.