Academic Rank and/or Administrative Appointment
|1981-present||Professor of Education The Pennsylvania State University|
|1998-present||Lead Faculty: Distance Education Technology Certificate Program|
|1991-1995||Head,Department of Adult Education, Instructional Systems, and Vocational and Industrial Education, The Pennsylvania State University|
|1978-1981||Head,Instructional Improvement, Course Development and Faculty Relations, The Pennsylvania State University|
|1968-1978||Coordinator of Instructional Research/Evaluation (Penn State)|
|1965-1968||Coordinator of Instructional Research|
Courses Designed, Developed, Taught
Training/Instruction for Distance Education
Designing Business and Design Plans for Distance Education
Basic Instructional Systems Design
Advanced Instructional Systems Design
Research in Instructional Systems
Theories of Instructional Systmes Design
Economics of Instructional Systems Design
Formative & Summative Evaluation Strategies
Media Selection Strategies
Instructional Systems Analysis
Proposal and Grant Writing
Basic Research Methodology
ISD and Total Quality Management
Text Design Strategies
Professional Membership (selected)
|1984-1985||President Association for Educational Communications & Technology (AECT)|
|1984-1985||President Research and Theory Division (AECT)|
|1979-1980||President Research and Theory Division (AECT)|
|1978-1979||President International Visual Literacy Association (IVLA)|
Professional Experience (selected)
- Managed over 200 institutional (PSU) research and evaluation projects.
- Participated in the writing of approximately 40 funded proposals totaling over 6 million.
- Designed and implemented technology-based instructional programs, consulted with curriculum planners and course designers on technology issues.
- Managed the operation of the University testing and evaluation program.
- Led instructional improvement workshops for university faculty and graduate teaching assistants.
- Provided consulting services regarding the design, development and implementation of instructional materials to change to the public school, business/industrial molding, medical and private sectors.
- Served as personnel representative (10 years).
- Served as senior course designer on curriculum/training projects.
- Researched and implemented innovative methods for the development of instructional/training materials.
- Performed needs assessment (front end analysis) and project management functions.
- Served as internal/external consultant: Higher education, business/industry, medical establishments, etc.
- Developed a formative evaluation program used by faculty and graduate teaching assistants.
Recipient of the Association for Educational & Communications (AECT) Crystal Mentorship Award in recognition of exceptional leadership and ongoing mentorship in the field of instructional technology.
Served as thesis advisor and committee chairperson for over 150 doctoral dissertations in the area of instructional design and technology.
Serves as external evaluator for doctoral dissertations in Canada, Africa, Puerto Rico, Malaysia
Presentations, Papers, Publications
Presented more than 350 lectures on the effective design and use of media in constructing learning environments for different types of learning objectives at state, regional, national and international levels.
Authored/co-authored more than 250 research articles related to instructional systems design and development published in United States, Germany, England, Taiwan, Poland, etc. which include (Harvard Educational Review, Journal of Psychology, Journal of Educational Research, Journal of experimental Education, International Journal of Instructional media, Audio Visual Communications Review, Educational Technology communications Journal, Journal of Instructional Psychology, Perceptual & Motor Skills, etc.)
Authored Research Texts
- A Guide for Improving Visualized Instruction (1972)
- Strategies for Improving Visual Learning (1978)
- Instructor Manual
- Student Manual
- Enhancing Visualized Instruction: Recommendations for the Practitioner (1987)
- Visual Literacy: A Spectrum of Visual Learning ( M. Moore) (1994)
- 1872, 1978,1987 Author's works have been selected for inclusion in the William S. Grays Research Collection in Reading at the Alvina Trust Burrows Institute, Inc. of NY
- 1995 Recipient of the 1995 James W. Brown Award from AECT for the text: Visual Literacy: A Spectrum of Visual Learning - was co-authored with David Moore.
1996 Recipient of Association for Educational Communications’ ECT Mentor Crystal Award in recognition of exceptional leadership and ongoing mentorship in the field of instructional technology
1993 Recipient of the International Visual Literacy Association's Outstanding Service Award
1991 Recipient of the International Visual Literacy Association's Research Award for 25 Years of sustained research in the area of visual learning: It was only the second time in the Association's history (since 1965) that this recognition has been given.
1990 Selected by the faculty of Graduate Studies and Research as the University of Alberta, Cana da, to serve as the external examiner of Ph.D. thesis and final examinations.
1979 Recipient of the Pennsylvania Learning Resources Association's Eero Davidson Memorial award for significant research contribution to the educational media profession.
1976,1977 Commended by the President to the Board of Trustees, The Pennsylvania State University, for attaining individual academic recognition in media research and leadership, thereby bringing distinction to himself and the University.
1975 Selected to the Japan Society for the Promotion of Science (JSPS) to participate in their Visiting Professorshi p Programme as the First Visiting Professor of Educational Technology to tour institutions of higher learning in Japan (seventeen institutions) and lecture in areas related to the systematic design, management and implementation of educational technology in the teaching-learning process.
Editorial Responsibilities (selected)
Journal of Visual/Verbal Languaging
Media and Adult learning
American Journal of distance Education
Educational communications and Technology
Computers in Human Behavior
International Journal of Instructional Media
Educational Technology Publications
Review of Educational Research
Educational Technology Research and Development
Wrote successful proposals for the University exceeding 6 million
Consultant Activities (selected)
Japan Society for the Promotion of Science
Department of Defense
Ministry of Education, Rome Italy
National Academy of Podiatry
U.S.Department of Interior
National Science Foundation
Saudi Arabian Department of the Interior
General Motors Corporation
Keystone Financial Corporation
Ministry of Education- Taiwan