Sample Exam 2
1. Which of the following processes involves the synthesis of ATP involving the use of an electron transport chain:
a. substrate level phosphorylation
b. anaerobic respiration
2. Procaryotic cells are characterized by the presence of the following:
a. Linear chromosomes
b. 70S cytoplasmic ribosomes
c. All of the above are features of eucaryotes
d. Only a and c
3. Which of the following statements is true about the structure of RNA:
a. Nitrogenous bases are attached to the 1' carbon of ribose
4. Features of the light reactions of photosynthesis include:
Make the list!
5. Features of catabolic reactions include:
Make the list!
6. Which of the following statements is true?
a. Sigma factors are essential for transcription termination
b. RNA polymerase transcribes the template strand in a 5' to 3' direction
c. Both a and b are true.
d. Both a and b are not true.
7. Features of fermentation reactions include:
a. use of organic molecules as both electron donors and electron acceptors
b. use of an electron transport chain
c. both a and b
d. neither a or b
8. The enzyme Transaldolase catalyses a key step during:
a. Oxidative phosphorylation.
c. The dark reactions of photosynthesis
d. The light reactions of photosynthesis
e. None of the above.
9. Which of the following statements is true of translation:
a. It is very likely that cells possess a minimum of 20 aminoacyl-tRNA-synthetases
b. Occurs in the cytoplasm, chloroplast and mitochondria of photosynthetic eucaryotes.
c. Initiation of translation takes place at the promoter.
d. All of the above statements are true
10. The "transforming principle" was first described by:
b. Avery, MacLeod and McCarty
c. Watson and Crick
d. None of the above
11. The degeneracy of the genetic code can be explained by the wobble hypothesis which accounts for the interaction between:
a. the 5' nucleotide in the codon and the 3' nucleotide in the anticodon
b. the 3' nucleotide in the codon and the 5' nucleotide in the anticodon
c. the 3' nucleotide in the codon and the 3' nucleotide in the anticodon
d. the 5' nucleotide in the codon and the 5' nucleotide in the anticodon
12. The Ames test is:
a. used to assay for potential carcinogens.
b. based on the reversion of auxotrophic mutants of E. coli.
c. Both a and b.
d. None of the above.