McDill, Marc Eric
Assistant Professor of Forest Resource Management
The Pennsylvania State
School of Forest Resources
214B Ferguson Building
Univeristy Park, PA 16802
(814) 865 1602
Job History, Pubs, etc.
- Acrobat version of Vita.
- (If you do not have the Reader on your computer, it is freeware
that can be downloaded from Adobe's download
page on the School
of Forest Resources page.
I do research on:
- Forest management planning and operations research,
- timber supply,
- forest property taxes, and
- growth and yield modeling.
Forest Management Planning System for the PA DCNR Bureau of
This project will develop a forest management planning system
for Pennsylvania's 2.1 million acres of state forests. (More information.
Also, see Vision Paper.
(Requires the Acrobat Reader).)
Assesment of Pennsylvania's Forest Property Tax
This project will evaluate the effectiveness of the Clean and Green program in maintaining Pennsylvannia's
forestland base and the program's impact on forest management decisions.
Regeneration Development in State Forest Stands Before and After Harvest
This project developed an extensive database of pre-existing stand conditions and stand development
patterns following harvest in 53 forest stands in southcentral, central, and northcentral Pennsylvania.
Promoting Ecotourism on Private Lands
Ecotourism can offer private forest landowners a means to take
advantage of natural resources on or near their lands to provide
additional sources of income. At the same time, ecotourism can
expand the economic base of local communities, providing economic
and social benefits to the area. Private landowners and local
entrepreneurs are always interested in additional sources of income
from their lands; however, most have limited experience in developing
ecotourism operations. This project is focused on determining
existing and potential ecotourism activities on private lands,
and identifying the key personal, environmental, economic and
social factors needed for successful ecotourism operations, including
barriers to their success.
- Forest Resources Management. Basic timber management course
-- financial analysis, land expectation value, forest value,
uneven-aged management, area and volume control, long-term sustained
Demo that shows some basic financial analysis calculations.)
- Forest Ecosystem Management. Review
and discuss the ecosystem management literature. Introduces students
to the basic concepts, methods and issues involved in applying
ecosystem management in temperate forests. Basic questions addressed
include: What is ecosystem management? What are biodiversity,
ecosystem integrity, sustainability, adaptive management? How
can they be operationalized? How can human needs be balanced
with ecological goals? How is ecosystem management implemented?
- Horacio Gilabert
- PhD student -- forest inventory and biometrics, forest management planning
- Sonney George
- PhD student -- forest management planning, emphasis on heuristic solution methods
for solving spatially-explicit planning problems
- Shawn Lehman
- MS student -- forest management planning, emphasis on practical
planning issues of the Pennsylvania DCNR Bureau of Forestry
- Stephanie Rebain
- MS student -- forest management planning, emphasis on spatially-explicit wildlife habitat management
- Gabriela Silva (Spring 2001)
- Current Status: Seeking employment in academia or an NGO.
- PhD -- ecotourism, forestry cooperatives, international forestry and sustainability.
- Yanguo Wang (Summer 2000)
- Janis ("Yanis") Braze (Fall 1999)
- Current Status: Employed by Geographic Dynamics Corp, a forestry consulting firm, located in Edmonton, Alberta.
- MS -- forest management, timber supply, forest finance, business.
This page was created by Marc
McDill (Current PH
This page has been accessed [an error occurred while processing this directive]times
since Sep 18 1997.
You are the [an error occurred while processing this directive]person
to access this.
The Pennsylvania State University does
not review the content of this page. - email@example.com
Last modified: Thursday, 28-Jun-2001 17:50:11 EDT