Administration of Justice 462

Comparative and International Criminal Justice


Spring 1992


Philip Jenkins                                                 Class meets Tues/Thurs 9.45-11.00 am


Office hours: Tues/Thurs 11.15 am-12.15 pm in 1006 Oswald; or by appointment


The course

This course explores themes in other criminal justice systems outside the United States, with special reference to major European nations like Great Britain, France, Italy, Germany and the USSR; and also to Japan.



          The grade for the course will be based on three examinations, which will occur on:

February 13      March 26         April 30

            Each  of these exams will be objective in format, with a mixture of multiple-choice and true-false questions. Each exam is worth 30% of the grade. There is no comprehensive exam, and therefore note that there will not be a final examination, regardless of what the course schedule says. The three exams make up 90% of the grade. The remaining 10% is based on class attendance and participation.

        If you prefer, you can substitute a paper for any one of the exams, and that will then be worth 30% of the grade. You must let me know in plenty of time which exam you will be opting out of, and the topic on which you want to write a paper. I am flexible about this, and will accept most reasonable topics within the general scope of the course. I can also help you with reading lists and bibliography. The paper cannot be substituted retroactively for an exam, nor can it be used for extra credit. The paper will then be due on the same day as the exam for which you are substituting it. The paper should be at least twelve to fifteen pages, typed, and fully referenced.



Deadlines matter, and I intend to enforce them strictly. If you miss a deadline without getting an extension in advance, you get a non-negotiable grade of F on that particular exam, paper or project. Do not try getting in touch with me after the fact to explain why you missed an exam, unless you produce a proper medical note. Excuses must always be supported by documentation. Valid reasons include medical problems and the like. I am aware that ROTC sometimes makes strange demands on its members, and these reasons would be valid: but note that ROTC also provides documentation for these absences, which must be produced if you want to claim this as a reason for an extension.

The following are not valid reasons for an extension, so please don't ask:

"I have other exams that day" (so ask the other professors for the extension)

"I'm leaving early for break" (not if you want the grade, you're not)

"I overslept" (Always a danger in an early class. Buy an alarm clock)


Texts - all required


1. Richard J. Terrill, World Criminal Justice Systems: A Survey Cincinnati: Anderson, 1984. ISBN: 0-87084-835-6

2. Ted D. Westerman and James W. Burfeind, Crime and Justice in Two Societies Pacific Grove, CA: Brooks/ Cole 1991, ISBN: 0-534-15516-2.

3. Simon Holdaway, Inside the British Police, Oxford: Blackwells, ISBN: 0-631-13833-1.




1.  January 14. Introduction to comparative study. What are we comparing and how are we doing it? Studying Japanese crime and justice

Read: Westerman and Burfeind, entire book


2. January 16. Japan, police


3. January 21. Japan, courts and corrections

Read: Terrill, pp 241-292


4. January 23. Themes in European criminal justice


5. January 28. The historical and political background to European justice.

Read: Terrill, pp 103-170


6. January 30.  France: police issues


7. February 4. Key issues: drugs, immigration, violent crime


8. February 6. Intelligence issues in France and Italy. The response to terrorism.


9. February 11. Corporate and white-collar crime. Regulating the international arms trade.


10. February 13. EXAM ONE


11. February 18. Organized crime in western Europe

Read: Terrill, pp 171-240


12. February 20. Courts and lawyers in western Europe.


13. February 25. Correctional themes


14. February 27.

Background to Soviet and East European systems, before and after the revolutions of 1989-1991.

Read: Terrill, pp 293-374


15. March 3. Soviet and East European systems: policing


16. March 5. FILM: Prostitutki


17. March 17. Soviet and East European systems: courts and corrections


18. March 19. FILM: Soviet trial


19. March 24. Soviet courts and corrections, continued


20.  March 26. EXAM TWO


21. March 31. FILM: Correcting (China)


22. April 2. British criminal justice: courts and lawyers

Read: Terrill, pp 1-102


23. April 7. Issues in British policing

Read, Holdaway, entire book.


24. April 9. Race, ethnicity and British justice; issues of public order


25. April 14. The impact of terrorism


26. April 16. Britain: drugs; organized crime; upperworld crime


27. April 21. FILM: Prisoner or Patient.


28. April 23. Corrections in Britain.


29. April 28. Juvenile systems; probation and parole.


30.       April 30. EXAM THREE