The New York City Police probably are the largest criminal syndicate in the United States.  They commit homicide (Exhibits C1–C9), sodomize arrestees (Exhibits C10–C11), rape (Exhibits 12 & 13), commit robbery (Exhibit C14), assault (Exhibits C15–C17), theft (Exhibit C18 & C22), false detainments (Exhibits C19  & C23), reckless endangerment (Exhibit C20), use excessive force (Exhibit C21), distribute illegal narcotics (Exhibit  C19 & C22), and harass innocent citizens (Exhibit C23).    

Bernard Kerick, Police Commissioner of New York City from 2000–2001 during the Guliani “law and order” administration, committed several crimes.  In 2006, Kerik pled guilty to two unrelated ethics violations after an investigation by the Bronx District Attorney's Office, and was ordered to pay $221,000.  A grand jury issued a multi-count indictment on November 8, 2007 alleging conspiracy, mail fraud, wire fraud and lying to the Internal Revenue Service.

As far as Plaintiff knows, the New York City Police have not published their narcotic inventories recently, which is suspicion that some narcotics are currently missing.  Other police departments, as well as U. S. border guards, have been implicated in the illegal  narcotics trade.

Exhibit C1

"Mafia cops" resentenced to life in prison
Outside a Brooklyn courthouse Michal Weinstein holds up a photo of her slain father Israel Greenwald after the sentencing of " Mafia Cops", former NYPD Detectives Louis Eppolito and Stephen Caracappa, for the killing of her father and others. (Newsday File Photo / Thomas A. Ferrara / June 5, 2006)
BY JOHN RILEY; Compiled by Carl MacGowan
March 7, 2009

Two disgraced former New York City cops who sold their services to the mob for a six-year spree of crime and homicidal violence were resentenced to life in prison in an emotional federal court hearing in Brooklyn Friday.

"Twenty years ago these two lowlifes shot and killed my father," said Vincent Lino, whose father, Edward, a mob figure from Fort Salonga, was executed in 1992 by the two cops, Louis Eppolito and Stephen Caracappa. "May you have a long life in jail. That's all I have to say."

But it wasn't. As he left the stand, he turned to Caracappa, haggard and unshaven in a green smock and orange T-shirt, and Eppolito, still portly after years in jail. "Rot," he said to the two, as a courtroom packed with friends and relatives of the victims erupted in applause.

Yael Pearlman, the daughter of Israel Greenwald, a diamond dealer pulled over by the two cops on the Long Island Expressway in 1986 and buried in cement after being murdered in a garage, sobbed during an anguished statement in which she recalled tender moments with him as a child. She spoke to her dead father from the witness stand.

"Daddy, I cannot even bring myself to imagine the anguish that you must have felt in your final moments of life, when you were kneeling in front of your murderers, these convicts in this  court, with a plastic bag over your head, tied with your own tie," said Pearlman, dressed in black. "Your heart must have been screaming out from under that plastic bag, 'My children! My children! My wife! My parents!'"

Prosecutors say Eppolito, 60, and Caracappa, 67, dubbed the " Mafia cops," were involved in at least eight murders from 1986 to 1992 while working for the Luchese crime family. A jury convicted the two disgraced detectives in 2006 on racketeering (which included the homicides), money laundering and narcotics charges, and they received life sentences. But U.S. District Judge Jack B. Weinstein set aside the convictions and sentences after ruling that the statute of limitations on the crimes had passed.

The two remained imprisoned during the appeal, and last fall the Second Circuit Court  of Appeals reversed Weinstein's ruling, reinstating the convictions. Friday, Weinstein sentenced Eppolito to life plus 100 years with a $4.75-million fine and Caracappa to life plus 80 years and a $4.25-million fine. The ex-officers plan to appeal other issues in the case.

In brief statements to the court, both men continued to maintain they were not guilty. "You will never take away my will to show how innocent I am," said Caracappa, who had asked to be excused from attending the hearing.

Said Eppolito: "I've been suffering for four years in jail. I can take it. I'm a man. If my father was killed, I'd be saying the same words. But I never did any of this."

Several victims' families have filed civil suits against the city over the ex-cops' actions. [CORRECTION: The first name of attorney Mark Longo of Brooklyn was incorrect yesterday in a story about two ex-policemen who killed for the mob. Pg. A19  NS; A21 C 3/8/09] Joseph Longo, who represents the aging mother of Nicholas Guido, a Brooklyn telephone installer whom the two cops fingered for a 1986 mob hit in a case of mistaken identity, said he hoped the end of the criminal case would finally get Mayor Michael Bloomberg to push for a settlement.

"This journey is over but ours is not," said Longo, who attended the hearing with Guido's brother. "I got a lady in her 80s here. The city really needs to step up here."


It took almost exactly four years to complete the criminal case against former New York police detectives Stephen Caracappa and Louis Eppolito.

March 8, 2005: Eppolito and  Caracappa are arrested in Las Vegas.

March 9, 2005: A 27-page racketeering indictment in federal court in Brooklyn accuses them of committing murder for the mob while they were cops.

Aug. 3, 2005: A federal grand jury in Brooklyn indicts Eppolito and Caracappa in the 1986 killing of jewelry merchant Israel Greenwald. They would be charged with another murder a month later.

Nov. 23, 2005: Federal prosecutors release a retooled indictment - their fourth version - adding two murder-for-hire allegations and a 1982 bribery allegation against Eppolito.

April 6, 2006: A Brooklyn federal jury convicts Eppolito and Caracappa on all counts.

June 5, 2006: The two former NYPD detectives are sentenced to life in prison.

June 30, 2006: Judge Jack B. Weinstein throws out the convictions, ruling there was insufficient evidence that Caracappa and Eppolito were involved in racketeering conspiracy within five years of the indictment.

Sept. 17, 2008: A federal appeals court reinstates the convictions.

March 6, 2009: Eppolito and Caracappa are again sentenced to life behind bars.

Compiled by Carl MacGowan
Copyright © 2009, Newsday Inc.,0,3400786.story


NYPD cop gets $3.25M in 1998 friendly fire shooting
10:23 p.m. EDT, July 20, 2009
Retired NYPD Sgt. Dexter Brown Monday accepted a $3.25 million settlement from the city for career-ending injuries he suffered 11 years ago when he was shot by a member of his own narcotics team in Brooklyn.

Brown, 46, was to face the city in a trial in which the NYPD planned to say he was to blame for the mistake.

"The most important thing is how the city turned their back on me," Brown said outside court as he leaned on a cane. "It's not just the pain. It's the betrayal."

Had the trial proceeded it would have included testimony on the city's behalf from a former narcotics deputy chief, Kevin Clark.

According to court papers, Clark planned to blame Brown for getting shot and contend that Det. Louis Lopez had no choice but to open fire as Brown grappled with two suspects in the lobby of a Clinton Hill building on Feb. 27, 1998. Brown had sued the department for $31 million. Brown, now living in Mississippi, recalled how stunned he was when he realized he had been shot by a backup officer.

"I turned around to return fire and I was immediately eyeball to eyeball with Det. Louis Lopez," Brown said. "But unlike him, I didn't shoot a fellow police officer."

Lopez, who works at the 73rd Precinct, could not be reached for  comment.

Deputy Commissioner Paul J. Browne, the NYPD's top spokesman, said the city admitted no wrongdoing. He said NYPD personnel believed the sergeant's life was at risk. They heard shots, saw the sergeant struggling with a perpetrator and Lopez then fired.

Brown's lawyer said that while it was right that the city "finally stepped up to the plate" by settling the lawsuit, the NYPD still needs to address the concerns of black police officers who, like Brown, feel they are more likely than white officers to be shot by a fellow officer.

With Joseph Mallia,0,3498483.story


The police murder of Amadou Diallo on February 4, 1999 is described in some detail on pp. 189–197 in the book “Blink” by Malcolm Gladwell (Little, Brown, and Company, New York, 1995).  Mr. Diallo, a 22-year old immigrant from Guinea, was standing in front of the apartment in which he lived when he was spotted by four white policemen in plain clothes driving an unmarked Ford Taurus..  They thought he might be involved in some criminal activity, though he was not.  He was just enjoying the fresh air.  

The police approached him, so Mr. Diallo went into the building to return to his apartment.  The police followed him.  As he reached his apartment, he reached into his pocket and withdrew his wallet.  The police thought that he had drawn a gun, so they pumped 41 bullets into him and killed him.  Bruce Springsteen wrote a song in Mr. Diallo’s honor called “41 shots,” with the chorus “You can get killed just for living in your American skin.”


Officer Eric Hernandez
New York City Police Department, New York
End of Watch:  Wednesday, February 8, 2006
Age: 24
Badge Number: NA
Years on The Job: 2
Cause of Death: Shot and Killed

New York City police officer   Eric Hernandez was  beaten by a gang at a local restaurant died after being shot by a fellow officer at White Castle restaurant in the Bronx last month.

A brain scan revealed Eric Hernandez had lost his battle to live. For 11 days, the 24-year-old had fought valiantly to stay alive after being shot three times by a fellow cop who mistook him for an armed suspect. It happened on January 28th, while Hernandez was off-duty. He was inside a White Castle restaurant and was viciously beaten by a group of men. Hernandez Identified himself as a police officer outside, minutes later, Hernandez pulled his gun on a man he believed was one of his attackers. It was then that another officer arrived on the scene and fired before realizing Hernandez was a cop.

Agency Information:
New York City Police Department
1 Police Plaza
Room 1320ew York, NY 10038


Sean Bell was killed by police on his wedding day.  His bride-to-be received his corpse as a wedding present. The incident is described by Wikipedia ( as follows:

The Sean Bell shooting incident took place in the New York City borough of Queens on November 25, 2006, in which one Latino and two African-American men were shot at a total of fifty times by a team of both plainclothes and undercover NYPD officers (two of whom were themselves African-American), killing one of the men, Sean Bell, on the morning of his wedding day, and severely wounding two of his friends.[1] The incident sparked fierce criticism of the police from some members of the public and drew comparisons to the 1999 killing of Amadou Diallo.[2] Three of the five detectives involved in the shooting went to trial [3] on charges ranging from manslaughter to reckless endangerment, and were found not guilty.[4] (see the web page for references).


NYPD seeks ex-officer in Brooklyn fatal shooting
The Associated Press
10:54 p.m. EDT, March 8, 2009

An ex-officer who was caught up in a drug inquiry is now being sought by authorities in connection with a fatal shooting in Brooklyn that has killed one 28-year-old woman and injured another.

Jerry Bowens was arrested last year on drug charges after he and another officer were accused by internal affairs investigators of stealing cocaine and money to reward an informant for tipping them off.

Police also investigated allegations that Bowens had sex with a woman serving as an informant. His lawyer denied any wrongdoing.

Now police say they want to question Bowens, who's no longer on active duty, in connection with a shooting in Greenpoint Sunday afternoon. Police say one woman was fatally shot in the head and another is in stable condition.

A message for his lawyer wasn't immediately returned.
Copyright 2009 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.,0,2243102.story

NYPD Officer Sentenced To Jail In Shooting of Unarmed Man
Rafael Lora (WPIX-TV / June 11, 2009)
2:15 p.m. EDT, June 11, 2009
NEW YORK ( WPIX) -- A former New York City police officer convicted of shooting an unarmed man to death was sentenced Thursday to a maximum of three years in prison.

Ex- NYPD cop Rafael Lora, who was convicted in April, could have faced anything from community service to 15 years in prison for his role in the fatal shooting of Fermin  Arzu.

According to investigators, the shooting happened when a drunken Arzu crashed his minivan into a parked car outside of Lora's home on May 18, 2007. The off-duty officer said he came out of his home and raced after Arzu's vehicle. When he approached the minivan, he said he asked Arzu for his identification. Lora claims he was forced to open fire on Arzu, when the Honduran immigrant stepped on the gas and took off, dragging the cop down the street.

After Lora's sentencing, Arzu's family expressed disappointment in the lenient sentence, but nonetheless were grateful that justice was served.

"Even though I didn't get the exact sentence I wanted, I feel happy because it's going to prevent other families from going through the same thing that I'm going through," Katherine Arzu, the victim's daughter told reporters outside of court..

As for Lora, who was fired from the NYPD after the fatal shooting, he remains free on bail  pending the outcome of his appeal.
 Copyright © 2009, WPIX-TV,0,7476228.story


Family reaches out to witnesses of fatal NYPD shooting
11:07 p.m. EDT, July 14, 2009
The distraught family of a man fatally shot by an undercover officer on the stoop of his mother's Clinton Hill brownstone yesterday called on witnesses to come forward.

Outside the Brooklyn chief medical examiner's office, where the family of Shem Walker formally identified his body, Sanford Rubenstein, one of two attorneys for the family, asked any witnesses who have not yet come forward to go to the Kings County district attorney's office.

The other attorney, Carl Husbands, said that he hoped a grand jury would be convened to  investigate the slaying. "The family is looking for answers," Husbands said. "They're not necessarily anti-police. . . . They want to put closure to this."

Police and the district attorney's office are investigating the Saturday night shooting. Following protocol, the NYPD has placed the officer who fired his gun on administrative duty until the investigation is complete.

"The information that we have is that there was a fracas, a fight, where the officer who was ghosting for the undercover was struck several times by the deceased," Police Commissioner Ray Kelly said Tuesday. Ghosting refers to when  officers sit at a safe distance during an undercover operation, serving as another line of protection. "The other officer ran across the street, tried to separate the two of them. He states that the officer did take out his weapon and he pointed the weapon at the deceased. There was a struggle. The individual reached for the gun. The gun went off twice."

According to police, Walker, 49, came outside the building where his mother lives, asking the undercover officer on the steps to leave and then began pummeling the man in the back of the head with his fists, police said. The officer was a lookout for a nearby drug-sting operation at the time.

It is unclear whether Walker knew the man was an officer or how much time elapsed before the fighting began.

Walker, who lives in Pennsylvania, had been helping to care for his mother, Lydia Walker, 75, who has diabetes and had her leg amputated, Husbands said.

"She really is broken up," Husbands said of Lydia Walker. "As she said to me inside, 'Not only have they taken my son, they have taken my eyes, my legs, my arms, my everything.' "

Walker's younger daughter, Shemeka Walker, 22, collapsed as she left the medical examiner's office, screaming and flailing as she was carried by two family members to a waiting car.

With Rocco Parascandola,0,4980564.story


NYPD Officer Dodges Charges In Fellow-Cop Shooting

12:44 p.m. EDT, August 13, 2009

NEW YORK (AP) - A New York City policeman who fatally shot another officer on a dark street in Harlem will not face criminal charges, the Manhattan district attorney announced Thursday.

After hearing from 20 witnesses and examining 68 documents, a grand jury voted not to indict Officer Andrew Dunton in the May 28 shooting of Officer Omar Edwards, District Attorney Robert Morgenthau said.

Edwards, 25, was off duty and in street clothes when he chased a man who had broken into his car.

Dunton and two other plainclothes officers patrolling nearby noticed the two men and ordered them to halt. When Edwards turned toward them with his gun out, Dunton shot him.

Because  Edwards was black and Dunton is white, some civil rights advocates have charged that race was a factor in the shooting.

The Rev. Al Sharpton said Thursday that the decision was expected, as grand juries rarely indict officers in friendly fire shootings.

"We will continue to call on the governor to authorize a special prosecutor in this case," Sharpton said.

Edwards' mother, Natalia Harding, said in a television interview that she believed Dunton shot her son because he was black.

"I would like to see him go to jail," Harding said.

Dunton, 30, has been on administrative duty since the shooting. He may still face an internal police department disciplinary review.

Police officials said the grand jury decision clears the way for an administrative review of the shooting to see if it fell within department guidelines for use of deadly force.

A spokesman for the police union said the union would have no  comment.

According to the district attorney, Edwards was walking to his car in East Harlem and noticed the driver's-side window was broken. and a man was leaning inside rifling through items on the front seat. Edwards drew his gun and grabbed the man's shoulder with his left hand, Morgenthau said. A struggle ensued and the man ran.. Edwards chased him, gun in hand.

Three officers in an unmarked car spotted the two men. They saw that the pursuer had a gun in his hand and pulled over.

According to the district attorney, Dunton got out of the car and yelled, "Police, don't move. Drop the gun. Drop the gun."

Edwards slowed but did not stop, turned and pointed his gun at Dunton, Morgenthau said.

Dunton fired six shots, mortally wounding Edwards. The man, later identified as Miguel Goitia, was arrested and charged in the case.

Emergency service officers arrived and tried to revive  Edwards. It was only when they cut his sweatshirt open and saw his Police Academy T-shirt that they realized he was an officer.

Following the shooting, the NYPD revamped its training on confrontations with other officers.

In a statement Thursday, the department outlined several precautions ordered by Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly that seek to minimize the risk of friendly fire. They include hiring a psychology professor to study shooters' decision-making and surveying undercover officers for advice.

In addition, the NYPD is studying new technology that could avert friendly fire shootings. One early warning system would equip officers with devices that, once their guns are drawn, emit a signal to other officers in the area.

"I promise you we will do everything possible to learn from this tragedy," Mayor Michael Bloomberg told mourners at Edwards' funeral.,0,6452948.story


Human Rights Watch published reports of police brutality through the 1990s in 14 major U. S. cities (  One case reported there was the torture of Abner Louima.  A synopsis of the story reported there follows:

“In the early morning hours of August 9, 1997, police officers arrested Abner Louima, a legal Haitian immigrant, outside a Brooklyn nightclub following altercations between police and club goers.  During the trip to the station house, officers allegedly stopped twice to beat Louima, who was handcuffed. At the 70th Precinct station house, two officers, Justin Volpe and Charles Schwarz, allegedly shouted racial slurs and Volpe allegedly shoved a wooden stick (believed to be the handle of a toilet plunger or broom) into Louima's rectum and mouth. Volpe reportedly borrowed gloves from another officer and walked through the station house with the wooden stick, which was covered with blood and excrement; the gloves were recovered, but the wooden stick was not found on the scene.”

When Louima was taken to a hospital, doctors confirmed that his internal injuries were consistent with his story.  Internal organs were ruptured, and his front teeth were broken.  For further details, see


Man who claims subway sodomy sues NYPD for $220M
Michael Mineo said he was sodomized by NYPD officers.
(Photo by Patrick E. McCarthy / December 8, 2008)
5:03 p.m. EDT, May 28, 2009

A man who's accused city police officers of beating and sexually assaulting him sued the New York Police Department and the city for $220 million yesterday in federal court.

Michael Mineo, a 24-year-old tattoo worker, said he is not worried that the timing of the suit - some four months before the anticipated start of the trial for the three officers charged in the incident - makes it seem like he cares most about making money.

"Not at all," he said outside Brooklyn federal court after his lawyers filed the suit. "It's going to speak for itself because I'm not lying. There's no way I could have lied and made this up. I don't want the accused officers on the police force  anymore."

One of his lawyers, Kevin Mosley, said "to not file a suit would almost look like he was trying to hide something. He has nothing to hide."

Mineo made headlines last October when he accused three officers of beating and sexually assaulting him with a nightstick in the Prospect Park subway station while trying to subdue him after he was stopped for smoking marijuana.

The case drew immediate comparisons to the 1997 attack on Haitian immigrant Abner Louima inside the 70th Precinct. Louima was violated with a broomstick by Officer Justin Volpe, who plead guilty and is in prison.

In December, Officer Richard Kern was indicted on a charge of sexually abusing Mineo, while officers Alex Cruz and Andrew Morales were indicted on charges of hindering prosecution and official misconduct.

"It's not surprising," said  Richard Murray, Morales' lawyer. "He hopes they'll prevail and he'll get a lot of money. But I'm confident that after trial, Officer Morales will be found not guilty of any criminal misconduct, and my belief is that there was no misconduct on behalf of any of the officers."

Cruz's lawyer, Stu London, said, "I've thought, from the beginning, that his financial interest was always his primary interest as opposed to the accuracy of the events as he related them."

Attorneys for Kern and the NYPD had no comment, and lawyers for the city say they have not had a chance to review the suit.

Morales and Cruz saw blood from the attack and did nothing, prosecutor Charles Guria said at the time of the indictment, while Kern warned Mineo he faced felony charges if  he went to the hospital or to a precinct.

Mineo was given a summons for disorderly conduct, and police left the scene. The summons was defective, an apparent attempt to make sure what had happened would never be learned, according to law enforcement sources.

But Mineo did go to the hospital, and he says the incident has emotionally scarred him and left him unable to return to work. His injuries - a rectum laceration - cause him great pain, he says, and he's aware of the case's place in history.

"My kids are going to know about this when I have a kid," Mineo said. "It's humiliating. This is considered a rape."

Daniel Edward Rosen contributed to this story.

On December 10, 2008, the New York Times, page A1 reported that Richard Kern,  a New York City patrolman, used his baton to sodomize Michael Mineo in a subway station., and two complicit colleagues helped him cover it up.  Mr. Mineo suffered a crushed anus and blood on his hands.


Lawyers: NYPD police officers charged in rape case
Newsday Staff Writer
9:07 p.m. EDT, April 27, 2009

Two police officers who escorted an intoxicated woman to her apartment late last year have been charged in her rape case, the officers' lawyers said Monday.

The specific charges against Officers Kenneth Moreno and Franklin Mata were not made public. Manhattan district attorney's office spokeswoman Alicia Maxey Greene declined to comment.

The defense attorneys said they expected their clients to surrender and plead not guilty Tuesday.

The indictment by a grand jury last week was first reported Monday on The New York Times' Web site.

"The investigation has been going on for a number of months," said Moreno's lawyer, Stephen Worth. "Officer Moreno is eager to confront the evidence against him." Mata's attorney, Edward Mandery, said his client "obviously denies the allegations." The New York Police Department officers responded Dec. 7 to a 911 call from a taxi driver who said the woman got sick in his car and couldn't pay the fare.

Investigators said they obtained a security video from a bar near the East Village apartment showing the woman, visibly drunk, being helped inside by the officers around 1 a.m. The Times reported the video then shows the officers returning to the building two more times, once with a key.

Last month,  Moreno and Mata were stripped of their guns and badges while the NYPD's internal affairs bureau and the district attorney's office investigated the allegations.

Copyright © 2009, Newsday Inc.,0,4364158.story


NYPD Cop Admits To Having Sex With Underage Girls
Trent Young

3:01 p.m. EDT, July 10, 2009

WHITE PLAINS, N.Y. (WPIX) - A New York City police officer has admitted to having sex with two 14-year-old girls and a 16-year-old at his home and a New Jersey martial arts studio where he was an instructor, PIX News has learned.

Trent Young, 41, of Middletown, N.Y. pleaded guilty Thursday in federal court to three counts of transporting the teens across state lines in 2003 and 2006, for the purpose of having sex with them.

According to police, Young said he took the minors from his New York home to his Iron Tiger martial arts studio in West Milford, N.J. where he had sex with them. In one case, he picked up a victim from her Brooklyn home and brought her to his home via New Jersey.

Young faces a mandatory minimum of 15 years in prison when sentenced by Judge Kenneth Karas in January 2010. Karas could reportedly impose a maximum sentence of life for the committed felony.

The 41-year-old is a nine year veteran of the New York City Police Department. He was suspended  from the force in 2008 following his arrest by the FBI. Young remains in federal custody without bail.,0,852487.story


Cops: Ex-NYPD sergeant robs Huntington bank
Police lead former NYPD Sergeant Thomas Feeney, 47, out of Yaphank police headquarters. (Photo by James Carbone / May 19, 2009)

The Associated Press
6:26 p.m. EDT, May 19, 2009

A former sergeant with the New York Police Department has been arrested on charges he robbed a Long Island bank.

Suffolk County police say 47-year-old Thomas Feeney was carrying a loaded .38-caliber pistol when he approached a teller inside a Roslyn Savings Bank branch Tuesday in Huntington.

He fled with cash, but the teller watched as he got into a vehicle and notified police. Officers caught up with Feeney a short time  later.

Feeney, who retired on disability from the NYPD in 1994, was scheduled to be arraigned on a robbery charge on Wednesday. The name of his attorney was not immediately available.,0,6368377.story


Another incident, reported by WNBC on September 19, 2002, and updated on October  4, 2008,  happened in the very same precinct where Abner Louima was brutally attacked. In fact, the officer involved was assigned there right after the Louima torture case to diversify the station house. Now, that officer is charged with a vicious assault that was all captured on home video. In the video, one can see 26-year-old Anthony Carty, already in handcuffs, being subdued by at least six police officers.


Videotaped cop indicted in beating of veteran

3:35 p.m.. EST, February 11, 2009

A New York City police officer was indicted Wednesday in the July beating of a handcuffed public housing tenant that was captured on a surveillance video, authorities said.

Officer David London used his baton during an encounter with Walter Harvin, 29, who "did not pose a physical threat" to the cop, Manhattan District Attorney Robert M. Morgenthau said in a statement. Landon has 15 years on the force.

Harvin, a U.S. Army veteran, suffered multiple cuts and scrapes, prosecutors said.

London, 43, was arrested Wednesday and pleaded not guilty in  State Supreme Court in Manhattan to charges of felony assault, falsifying business records and offering a false instrument for filing, as well as making a punishable written statement, a misdemeanor. He was was released without bail and told to return March 5

London was placed on modified duty 10 days after the July 28, incident at West 93rd Street and Amsterdam Avenue.

The officer charged Harvin with resisting arrest and disorderly conduct. Prosecutors dismissed the charges after a probe revealed the officer falsified details in the criminal complaint filed against Harvin, authorities said.

London said in the complaint that Harvin was physically aggressive against him and London's partner, prosecutors said. A New York City Housing Authority surveillance video contradicted the  officer's account, prosecutors said.

London faces up to 7 years in prison if convicted on the felony assault charge alone.

Lawyer Stephen Worth said London "maintains his innocence strenuously." He said London had never before been accused of any breach of discipline.

The NYPD's Internal Affairs Bureau assisted in the investigation.

The Associated Press contributed to this story.
Copyright © 2009, Newsday Inc.,0,7292519.story


Officials: Roosevelt beating may not be bias crime
Daryl Jackson, who police say was attacked by five men in Roosevelt, rests in a hospital room at Nassau University Medical Center in East Meadow. (Photo by Peter Walden Sr. / March 8, 2009)

10:34 p.m. EDT, March 9, 2009

Police officials Monday said the beating of a black man in Roosevelt did not appear to be motivated by racial bias, as a city police officer and three other men pleaded not guilty to felony assault charges in the attack.

Despite racial epithets used by the attackers, Nassau Police Commissioner Lawrence Mulvey said yesterday the legal threshold for charging a hate crime hinges on the assailants' motivation. In this case, authorities said, the attack may have stemmed from a dispute over the location of the victim.

"The motivation behind the assault may have more to do with the proprietor of that business trying to move on someone that was loitering or panhandling," Mulvey said, referring to the victim of the assault, Daryl Jackson, 52, of Roosevelt.

"Our investigation shows that they went out to beat him because he was loitering," Mulvey said.

The commissioner said the investigation remains open and officials had not ruled out charging one or more of the defendants with hate crimes.

The accused include Juan Nunez - an eight-year New York City Police Department veteran - and three employees of the Nassau Road deli where the attack took place. Prosecutors said Nunez, along with two of the men, punched and kicked Jackson outside the deli, while a fourth man swung a bat at him.

Jackson was in stable condition at Nassau University Medical Center with head, neck and back injuries.

At a news conference at police headquarters in Mineola, Mulvey said the attack began at 8:10 a.m., after employee Kelvin Vargas, 24, of Freeport, told Jackson to stop panhandling near the store and leave..

Vargas' attorney, Harmon Lutzer of Central Islip, said it was Jackson who first attacked Vargas, prompting his father, Persio Vargas, 53, of the Bronx, and his uncle, Jose Miguel Vargas, 35 of Freeport, to come out in his defense. "The victim attacked my client first. He threw the first punch," Lutzer said. "(Jackson's) exact words were he 'was ready for battle.' "

Mulvey said that Jose Miguel told police he yelled racial epithets and told the victim to go back to Africa.

Hempstead  Town Councilwoman Dorothy Goosby, whose district includes Roosevelt and who spoke with Jackson, said, "Maybe they don't consider that to be a hate crime, but that's what he told me. . . . The technicalities of it, I guess I just don't understand. Whatever the police have to do, they are the ones who are trained to do this."

In Nassau First District Court, Judge Bonnie Chaikin ordered all four defendants not to contact Jackson.

Nunez, 32, of Freeport, was released after posting $40,000 bond yesterday after his arraignment on a count of second-degree assault. He declined to comment at the courthouse yesterday as he picked up his belongings and $84 in cash.

Nunez, stationed at the 101st Precinct in Far Rockaway, was suspended without pay and  ordered to forfeit his service weapon, said his lawyer, Jeff Groder.

Jose Miguel Vargas, who was charged with weapons possession in addition to assault, was ordered jailed on $70,000 bond or $35,000 cash bail. Percio Vargas was jailed on $50,000 bond or $25,000 cash bail. Kelvin Vargas was jailed on $40,000 bond or $20,000 cash bail.

"This had nothing to do with racism," said Paola Torres, 43, Kelvin's mother and Percio's wife. "If someone hits you, don't you have a right to defend yourself?"

Staff writers Zachary R. Dowdy, Eden Laikin and Rocco Parascandola contributed to this story.
Copyright © 2009, Newsday Inc.,0,4906875.story


NYC Cop Running Amok At Dunkin' Donuts

July 20, 2009

ROCKAWAY, N.Y. (WPIX) - One New York City cop is accused of getting a little too comfortable at a Dunkin' Donuts shop in Queens - by apparently hopping behind the counter for doughnuts and even making himself sandwiches.

Sgt. Eric Turetsky, 38, who gained notoriety in 1997 for identifying two of the cops involved in the Abner Louima police-torture case, began to frequent the store on Beach 129th Street in the Rockaways several months ago. According to the store's manager, Turetsky never paid for any of the goodies he helped himself to and only left behind a dollar or two as a  tip.

In addition, employees at the store said Turetsky was rude and would often flirt with the young cashiers while swiping the food.

According to police sources, Turetsky, who now works as a sergeant on the 4 p.m.-to midnight shift at the 100th Precinct in the Rockaways, has been interviewed by Internal Affairs over his alleged stealing. PIX News found the alleged doughnut thief on desk duty but he politely declined to comment.

A manager reported Turetsky to police about three months ago and as a result Internal Affairs kept a close eye on him. Police sources said Turetksy was spotted on several different occasions going behind the store's counter and helping himself to doughnuts and sandwiches.

Under NYPD regulations, officers are not  allowed to get discounts or free merchandise. If those rules are violated, officers can face disciplinary action.

"We don't comment during open IAB cases on what disciplinary action that may result," Deputy Commissioner Paul Browne told PIX News.,0,3656382.story


    On November 23, 2008, the New York Post reported that a team of NYPD narcotics cops is under investigation for arresting four men in a Queens club after surveillance tapes revealed the cops never bought drugs from them. The stunning accusations stem from a "buy-and-bust" operation in January when undercover cops allegedly framed two brothers and their friends who were merely drinking beer and chatting inside Club Delicioso in Elmhurst. The quartet was originally charged with selling two bags of cocaine worth $100 (

Officers Facing Jail Time For Phony Drug Bust

January 16, 2009

NEW YORK - Two NYPD cops face serious jail time after they falsely charged four men of selling cocaine. The incident happened in January of 2008 during an undercover "buy and bust" operation.

Officer Henry Taverez, 27, and Detective Stephen Anderson, 33, surrendered this morning. Officials say the two men face multiple charges including conspiracy, unlawful imprisonment, and official misconduct.

Sources say the officers were participating in an undercover investigation of drug dealings at Club Delicioso in Queens on January 4th. At one point two men sold Anderson, who was posing as a buyer, three bags of cocaine for $60.

Prosecutors say that later, Anderson gave Tavarez two of the bags, a transfer that became the basis for the drug-sale charges against the officers, so Tavarez could claim that he bought them from four other men at the club for $100. Anderson sought to cover his tracks by reporting that he had purchased only one bag for $40, and advised Tavarez to lie to a grand jury by saying he had forgotten the details of the bust, court papers said.

Taverez was put on desk duty pending the investigation, while Anderson has since retired.

The officers are awaiting arraignment at the Queens County Supreme Court, if convicted they face up to 9 years in prison..

Portions of this article were supplemented by the Associated Press.
Copyright © 2009, WPIX-TV,0,4234665.story


NYPD Cop Car Jumps Curb, Mows Down Pedestrians
7:17 p.m. EDT, June 30, 2009

NEW YORK (WPIX) - Six pedestrians are in serious condition after a police car spun out of control on the lower East Side Tuesday, PIX News has learned.

According to sources, the accident occurred around 4:15 p.m. on Ave. D and E. 6th St. Witnesses say the Ninth Precinct police cruiser was racing down the street, apparently on a chase without a siren and collided with a white Cadillac traveling in the opposite direction. One eyewitness told reporters that three of the people struck flew up in the air.

Five of the victims were transported to Bellevue Hospital. The sixth, who was reportedly in cardiac arrest, was kept at the scene.

The officers in the police car were taken to Beth Israel Medical Center with minor neck and back injuries.,0,737136.story


Protesters Claim Excessive Force Used By NYPD Officers

June 6, 2009

CROWN HEIGHTS, N.Y. (WPIX) - Two women are claiming they were brutally attacked by several New York City police officers, who were also apparently yelling sexist and homophobic slurs at them, outside of a night club in Crown Heights.

Gay activists took to the streets of Brooklyn Saturday, protesting the alleged incident that reportedly took place May 16 in front of Ife Lounge. They claim police from the 77th Precinct used excessive force when arresting the two lesbian women.

"Tiffany and I were brutally beaten by the officers from the 77th precinct," explained Jeannette Grey. "The officers hit me with  nightsticks and hurled anti-gay slurs at me while I lay on the pavement."

For its part, the New York City police department issued a statement, saying it responded to a call regarding a group of unruly and intoxicated people who were fighting with each other outside of the club. The statement goes on to say that Tiffany Jimenez, 19, one of the two women arrested, was so intoxicated she was rushed to the hospital.

The NYPD made clear, its internally investigating the civilian complaints that were filed.,0,5004356.story,0,7476228.story



CRIME: Coffins and Corruptions
Monday, Jan. 01, 1973
 (2 of 2)

If the thefts from the New York City police department's supposedly secure evidence stacks continue at the present rate, there will soon be nothing left to guard. Two weeks ago, Police Commissioner Patrick Murphy announced that 57 lbs. of heroin confiscated in the famous 1962 "French Connection" case were missing from the property-storage room. The following day it was discovered that an additional 24 lbs. were lost. Then last week the abashed commissioner learned that another 88 lbs. of heroin and 131 lbs. of cocaine had been stolen from the police department. Still more losses are expected to be discovered, including narcotics, cash, jewels and furs.

 Murphy was predictably outraged. Said he: "This is, without a doubt, the worst instance of police corruption I have uncovered. I am determined not to rest until the last vestiges of this problem have been rooted out." That is going to take some big-time rooting, since there is obviously more to all of this than a couple of dishonest clerks dipping their hands in the till. TIME has learned that two Mafia families—those of Carlo Gambino and Joe Bonanno —were involved. The Gambinos set up the looting, authorities say, and have already pushed 169 lbs. of the stolen drugs in Harlem. The going price: around $100,000 per pound.

Thus far the only suspected police link that has surfaced is Narcotics Detective Joseph Nunziata, whose signature—probably forged—was on the form with which 24 lbs. were signed out. Nunziata died of gunshot wounds inflicted by his own revolver last March. The death was labeled a suicide, but that verdict was challenged by Nunziata's widow Anna and her attorney, John Meglio, who said: "Joe wasn't the kind of man who would commit suicide." Indeed, mob sources have been saying that Nunziata's death was a "hit," ordered by the Gambinos because they feared the detective might talk about the heroin thefts.

Why didn't the police destroy the heroin and cocaine caches? The bureaucratic answer is that evidence must be kept while there is any chance of legal appeals or additional prosecutions in a case. Still, it would seem that the possession of such valuable and tempting evidence as hard drugs called for the most stringent security measures. The property clerk's office is a midden of paper and confusion, where tons of pieces of evidence are stored under the casual supervision of an understaffed force. Incredibly, no inventory of confiscated goods has ever been made.

All too belatedly, Murphy assigned a 200-man task force to make a full inventory of all narcotics supposed to be in police possession. That, of course, will take weeks. Also, it is doubtful that a mere inventory will do much to get at the inside source of the thefts. One item the cops probably will not find is the clothing worn by Nunziata when he died. Meglio sought the garments as evidence in challenging the suicide ruling, but they turned out to be missing from the property room.



In the New York Times of May 26, 2007, on page A13, columnist Bob Herbert states that young men and women, particularly blacks and Hispanics are routinely stopped , searched, harassed, intimidated, and sometimes arrested for no good reason at all.  He describes an incident in Brooklyn where about three dozen grieving young people on their way to a wake for a murdered teenage friend were surrounded by the police, cursed, handcuffed, and ordered into paddy wagons.  Several were thrown into jail.  There was no indication that the teenagers were misbehaving in any way.  Some were carrying notes from school allowing them to be absent to attend the wake.  In his column in the New York Times of April 18, 2009, Bob Herbert reported that all the charges were dismissed, some even by the prosecuting attorneys. The youngsters sued the police, and 16 of them were each given between $9000 and $23,000 in a settlement.