Reference, Online Information Systems and Services, Systems
and Information Technology, Collection Development, Cataloguing and Classification,
Statistics, Software Evaluation, Research Methods, Indexing and Abstracting,
Academic Libraries, Science and Technology Libraries, Legal Information Sources
and Services, Library Management.
Master of Science (incomplete)
University, Department of Biochemistry, Hamilton Ontario Canada.
- Molecular Biology and Biochemistry
Bachelor of Science (Honours) (1986)
McMaster University, Department
of Biology, Hamilton Ontario Canada.
- Biology with emphasis in Molecular Biology, Genetic Engineering and Biotechnology
Biological Sciences Librarian, November 1992-
University Libraries, The Pennsylvania State
University, University Park PA USA
- Collection development -- primary selector for biology, biochemistry and molecular
biology, and forestry, wildlife and fisheries
- Bibliographic instruction
- Liaison to faculty
Library Assistant (Co-operative Education), January 1992-April 1992
Status of Disabled Persons Secretariat (now Office
for Disability Issues), Ottawa Ontario Canada
- Investigation and recommendation of a microcomputer based integrated library automation
- Creation of a classification scheme for the collection
- Investigation of procedures necessary to create "barriers-free" library
- Creation of preliminary management policies for the library
- Writing of patron guides for searching the Edibase system
- Creation of inventory system for distributed publications
Librarian (Co-operative Education), September-December 1992
Canadian International Trade Tribunal, Ottawa Ontario Canada
- Creation of procedures to convert automated library catalog to bilingual version,
and subsequent conversion of catalog including quality control
- Creation of vertical file of ephemeral items and uncatalogued documents
- Cataloguing of older materials including retrocataloguing of U.S.I.T.C. publications
- Selection and weeding of duplicate materials from other libraries
- Weeding and creation of policies for management of Statistics Canada publications
- Establishment of a CD-ROM station for patron use
Library Aide, November 1990-December 1991
Oakville Public Library, Oakville Ontario Canada
- Circulation desk duties such as checking books in and out, patron files updating, collecting
- Sorting and shelving returned books
- Training and assisting with supervision of library Pages
- Shelfreading collections
- Processing government publications and reference periodicals
- Integrated library software: Sirsi, LIAS, Geac, Dynix, Sydney, Bibliofile
- Operating systems: DOS 5.0, Windows 98, Windows NT, Windows XP
- Web editors: Dreamweaver MX, FrontPage
- Bibliographic management software: Reference Manager Special Edition,
EndNote, Library Master
- Email: Eudora, VAX mail
- Word processing: Word, WordPerfect
- Presentation software: PowerPoint
- Database management software: Q&A, Microsoft Access, Dbase
- Spreadsheets: Microsoft Excel
- Other software: Meeting Maker, Harvard Graphics, Minitab
- Communications software: Procomm
- Telnet software: Clarkson, TCP3270, Trumpet
- WWW browsers: Netscape, Firefox, MIE, Lynx, Mosaic
- Internet search engines: Google, AltaVista, MetaCrawler, HotBot, Scirus
- Internet guides: Yahoo, InfoSeek, Lycos
Database Search Software
- Online Database Providers: Dialog, Wilsonline, Knowledge Index,
Ovid, STN, Cambridge Scientific Abstracts, UMI ProQuest Direct, OCLC, SilverPlatter,
- Biological Abstracts, Biological and Agricultural Index
- Medline/PubMed, HealthStar, CINAHL, PsycInfo, SportDiscus
- Agricola, CAB Abstracts, FSTA
- Wildlife Worldwide, Aquatic Sciences and Fisheries Abstracts, Environmental Management and Pollution Abstracts
- Current Contents, Uncover, Web of Science
- Periodical Abstracts, ABI/Inform, Newspaper Abstracts, Academic Universe
Special Libraries Association:
- Member since 1992.
- Science-Technology Division: Member since 1992.
- Archivist, 1995-2000.
- Treasurer, 1998-2000.
- Chair-Elect, 2000-2001.
- Chair, 2001-2002.
- Bylaws Committee, 2002-2003.
- Nominating Committee, 2003-2004.
- Baltimore Program Planning Chair, 2005-2006.
- Membership Chair, 2007.
- Biological Sciences Division: Member since 1993.
- International Relations Liaison, 1994-1996.
- Seattle Program Planning Committee, member, 1995-1997.
- Central Pennsylvania Chapter: Member since 1993.
- Membership Chair, 1994-1999.
- President-Elect, 1998-1999.
- President, 1999-2000.
- Chapter Program Planning Committee, 1997-2000.
- Director, 2008-.
American Library Association:
- Member since 1993.
- Association of College and Research Libraries, Science and Technology Section, 1993-.
- Publications Committee, 1994-1999, Web Co-Editor, 1995-1999, Co-Chair, 1997-1999.
- Organization and Planning Committee, 1999-2001.
- 2004 Annual Conference Program Planning Committee, 2002-2004.
- Reference and Adult Services Division, 1995-1997, 1999-2000.
- Library and Information Technology Association, 1993-1995.
- Adaptive Technologies Interest Group, 1993-1995.
Canadian Library Association:
- Member 1992-1993.
- Eastern Canada Chapter, 1992-93.
- Paster, Amy L.; Fescemyer, Kathy A.; Henry, Nancy I.; Hughes, Janet A.
and Helen F. Smith. “Assessing Reference: Using the Wisconsin-Ohio Reference
Evaluation Program in an Academic Science Library.” Issues in Science and
Technology Librarianship 46 (Spring 2006). [URL http://www.istl.org/06-spring/index.html]
- Hughes, Janet A. “Issues and Concerns with the Archiving of Electronic
Journals.” IN Scholarly Communication in Science and Engineering Research
in Higher Education, edited by Wei Wei, Binghamton, NY: Haworth Press, 2003
- Hughes, Janet A. “Characterization of Unique Serials indexed in the Zoological
in Science and Technology Librarianship Issue 30 (Spring 2001)
- Hughes, Janet A. "Teaching the Internet: What you Need to Know, What you
Need to Show." Biofeedback 25(1): 20-23 (1999).
- Hughes, Janet A. and Lee, Catherine A. "Giving Patrons What They Want:
the Promise, Process and Pitfalls of Providing Full-Text Access to Journals."
Collection Building 17(4): 148-153 (1998)
- Hughes, Janet A. "Can Document Delivery Compensate for Reduced Serials
Holdings? A Life Sciences Library Perspective." College and Research Libraries
58(5): 421-431 (1997)
- Hughes, Janet. "Information at Your Fingertips: Use of the Internet Resources
at the Life Sciences Reference Desk." Issues
in Science and Technology Librarianship Issue 14 (Spring 1997)
- Hughes, Janet. "Use of Faculty Publication Lists and ISI Citation Data
to Identify a Core List of Journals with Local Importance." Library Acquisitions:
Practice & Theory 19(4): 403-413 (1995).
- Hughes, Janet. "Bibliomed Citation Series." CD-ROM Professional 7(3):
- Hughes, Janet. "The Entrez:Sequences CD-ROM." Canadian CD-ROM News 7(5):17-18
- Book Reviews in Science and Technology Libraries and E-Streams
- Hughes, Janet A., Paster, Amy L, and Smith, Helen F. “Assessing Reference
Service in Academic Science and Technology Libraries.” Presentation at the
ACRL Science and Technology Section Research Forum, ALA Annual Conference,
Washington, DC, June 2007.
- Hughes, Janet A. and Smith, Helen F. "Developing Web Tutorials for Agricultural
and Life Sciences Information Sources." Presentation at the ACRL Science
and Technology Section General Discussion Group, ALA Midwinter Meeting,
Philadelphia, PA, January 1999.
- Henry, Nancy I. And Hughes, Janet A. "Medical Information on the Internet."
Preconference presented at Strategies for Successful Education of Health
Care Providers Conference, University Park, PA, November 1998.
- Hughes, Janet A. and Moberly, Heather K. "Reference Service During Construction
and Renovation in an Academic Subject Library." Poster session presented
at ALA Annual Conference, Washington D.C., June 1998.
- Hughes, Janet A. and Lee, Catherine A. "Giving Patrons What They Want
-- The Process, Promises and Pitfalls of Providing Full-Text Access to Journals."
Poster session presented at ALA Annual Conference, San Francisco, June 1997.
- Hughes, Janet A. "Information at your Fingertips: Use of the Internet
and Gophers at the Reference Desk." Poster session presented at ALA Annual
Conference, Miami 1994.
Bibliographic Instruction 1992-
- Course integrated sessions in biology, biochemistry, molecular biology, ecology
- Drop-in seminars in using the OPAC (LIAS)
- Tours for new graduate students, freshmen, and others, including LEAP (Learning
Edge Academic Program)
- Hands-on electronic seminars: Sources in molecular biology, Reference Manager, EndNote
Teaching Assistant 1986-1988
- Instructed freshman biology labs
- Taught third-year developmental biology labs
- evaluation of electronic sources, bibliometrics, use studies
- depth of indexing in databases (statistics project for MLIS)
- role of a novel mitochondrial protein in podophyllotoxin and colchicine resistance
in Chinese Hamster Ovary cells (unfinished masters funded in part by Arthritis
- tobacco plant genetics (fourth year project)
- creation of novel bacterial plasmids with various markers (summer project funded
by Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council scholarship)
- basic reading, writing and spoken French (high school level plus refresher course in 1992)
- rudimentary reading, writing and spoken German (3 years at high school level)
- rudimentary reading and writing Latin (2 years correspondence course)
- rudimentary reading, writing (Hiragana/ Katakana--very limited Kanji)
and spoken Japanese
Last Updated May 21, 2008.