- American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics (AIAA) Fellow, 2008.
- AIAA Sustained Service Award, 2008.
- AIAA Zarem Educator Award, 2001.
- Penn State Engineering Society (PSES) Outstanding Research Award, 2000.
- UCEA Mid-Atlantic Program and Activities Award, for the "Pennsylvania
Wind Energy Symposium 2008: Power for the Future."
- AIAA SDM Lecturer, 2014.
"Damping: The Turbulence of Structural Mechanics?"
- AIAA Adaptive Structures Keynote, 2012. "Adaptive Structures: The Journey to Flight"
- Best Paper, Adaptive Structures, American Society of Mechanical Engineers
(ASME) Aerospace Division. For "Stress Relief In Contact-Aided Cellular
with Prof. Mary Frecker and advisee Vipul Mehta, 2008.
- Hirschorn IAC Best Paper Prize, Institute of Noise Control Engineering,
2007. For "Development of a Design Curve for Particle Impact Dampers," with
Profs. Steven Hambric and Gary Koopmann, and advisee Mike Yang.
- Best Paper, AIAA/ASME/ASCE/AHS/ASC Structures, Structural
Dynamics and Materials Conference, 2000. For "Modeling
of Shock Propagation and Attenuation in Viscoelastic Materials,"
with Prof. Daniel Inman and advisee Razvan Rusovici.
- Best Paper, Adaptive Structures 1999, ASME Aerospace Division. For "An
Actively-Tuned Solid State Piezoelectric Vibration Absorber,"
with advisee Chris Davis.
- American Helicopter Society (AHS) Best AHS Forum Paper, Dynamics,
1995. For "Formulation and Validation of a Finite Element
Model for Elastomeric Lag Dampers," with Prof. Ed Smith
and advisees Mike Beale, Kiran Govindswamy, and Mike Vascsinec.
- 4th place (masters), USATF 50-mile championship, 2009.
- Wolk Award for Best Senior Thesis in Aerospace Engineering, to advisee
Aimy Wissa, for "Damage
Detection in Aluminum Plates using the Electro-Mechanical Impedance Method," 2009.
- NASA Graduate Student Research Program fellowship, to advisee Jeff Kauffman,
for "Reduction of High-Cycle Fatigue in Integrally Bladed Rotors through Piezoelectric
Vibration Damping and Control," 2008.
- NASA Graduate Student Research Program fellowship, to advisee Mike Thiel,
for "Actuation of an Active Gurney Flap for Rotorcraft Applications," 2004.
- AHS Mid-East Lichten Award, Conor Marr, 2008, for
"Nonlinear, Temperature-Dependent, Fluidlastic Lead-Lag Damper
- Penn State Alumni Association Dissertation Award, to advisee Jacob
Loverich, for "High Power Density Piezoelectric Motor with Hybrid Clamps,"
- Best Student Paper in Engineering Acoustics, Acoustical
Society of America, to advisee Julien Bernard, for "The
Design Of Actively-Tuned Flexural Piezoceramic Bar/Disk Transducers," 2000.
- AIAA Zarem Award, to advisee Kristin Culler, January, 2001.
- AHS Mid-East Lichten Award, Chad Hébert, 1998, for
"Rotorcraft Blade Lag Damping using Highly Distributed Tuned
- AHS Mid-East Lichten Award, Chris Brackbill, 1998, for "Formulation
and Validation of a Thermomechanical Model for Elastomeric Materials."
- 1st place, AIAA Northeast Student Conference, Graduate Division,
Kristin Culler, for "Isolation and Pointing of a Science
Payload using Flextensional Piezoelectric Mounts."
Professional and Honorary Societies
- Fellow, American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics (AIAA), 2008.
(Member since 1979)
- Member, American Helicopter Society (AHS).
- Member, American Society for Engineering Education (ASEE).
- Sigma Xi, 1990.
- Tau Beta Pi, 1981.
- 1977 National Merit Scholarship.
- 1977-1978 AFROTC Scholarship.
- 1979-1981 General Motors Scholarship.