In case of an emergency ...
1. Call 911.
2. Call the campus safety group (814-865-6391 EH&S, 814-863-1111 campus police).
3. Contact an EMT in the department (Jennifer Stefanik 814-876-2799).
4. Contact the HAZMAT person (David DeCapria, 814-863-4800).
If you don't know, ASK!!!
- Always wear lab coats, safety goggles, and close shoes (no sandles).
- Clean up after yourself (e.g., no beakers left out)
- Label all experimental samples with name, date, and contents.
- Acids and solvents must be kept separated, and must be disposed of in properly-labeled bottles.
- Gas cylinders must be secured to lab bench tops.
- Eating and drinking must be done in 179 Fenske, NOT 178 where the equipment is.
- Equipment and supplies ordered on a
Visa must have the receipt.
- Equipment over $5000 must have a sole source form filled out. If several pieces <$5000 are pieced
together to form one large piece, see Chris Wilson.
- Make copies of all order forms.
- Keep 178 and 179 locked at all times. Things can
be stolen quickly.
- Microscope sign-ups will be done.
- Never flip the microscope up alone.
- Change the chlorine tablet in the Millipore system when necessary.
- Work hard so Darrell takes the group out to lunch.
- Create a folder on the computer to keep all your work.
- Back up all your files on the CD writer.
- Recycle (paper, cans, cardboard).
Before you finish ...
- Leave your lab NBs and CDs.
- Clean up all your chemicals and your files on the computer.
- Sign all forms (see Chris Wilson).