Wing Door Rebuilding
The side deck wing doors had problems. These doors are quite useful when limiting the amount of sun or wind on the veranda. They are also used in wavy conditions to keep the back deck from flooding due to water entering (and exiting) the freeing ports on the side deck.
The construction method is typical rail and style construction where the lower panel is somewhat free to float in a pocket. The problem was that the panel was simply Formica covered plywood and while appearing fine on the surface, the reality was that the underlying plywood was essentially gone (rotted) and the rot was infecting the teak. You could punch an awl right through the panel.
Pulling the panel apart reveals that it is too far gone to repair; replacement is needed.
This is another road that we have traveled before, having rebuilt doors on a friend’s trawler that had similar construction. Use a small skill saw to cut out an area on the back side to release the panel and back fill the empty region with new plywood strips and epoxy.
The areas that had screens weren’t much better. The screens were essentially built into the door and varnish had crept onto the screens over the years. Re-doing this region will allow us to construct screens that are removable to make future varnishing easier and neater.
Removable acrylic covers were once attached to the forward facing side of the doors to block the sun and wind. Based on the number of screw holes in the door that held the snaps, they must have gotten snaps real cheap; these needed plugged.
The replacement panels for the rotted out sections in the lower portion of the door were given a few coats of epoxy before installing them. New trim was made to surround the panels.
First coat of varnish
Finished Result, back side of door showing removable, recessed screens and new lower panel
Wing doors re-installed on the boat although we still need to replace the turn button latch that holds these against the bulkhead as well as the piece of teak that holds the latch (in Starboard of course).
We made sun/wind shades for over the screened regions and these are handy to block unwanted breeze or the setting sun when sitting on the veranda. They are attached with Velcro so we didn’t have to drill any holes in the teak. The Velcro is mounted to the removable aluminum frame, again making future sanding and varnishing a snap.
Since we are on the subject of the side decks, we did the compound/wax thing on all the cabin sides. It takes about two hours to do each “panel”. The panel in the foreground has been compounded (shiny), the dull panel behind it has been untouched, probably for a good number of years.