Forward Cabin

Refinishing

 

Since we are heavily into refinishing in 2013 we thought we would do the woodwork in the forward cabin.  How long can that take considering the fact that the wicker didn’t need replaced in the cabinet doors?  Actually longer than we thought.  There is an awful amount of woodwork in this cabin when you get down to it and things are always in the way depending on where you are working.

 

P1060926P1060911

 

Anything that was removable went home to get sanded and varnished (2 coats).

 

IMG_20130604_102842_993

 

Stair Refinishing

 

The stairs to the cabin were pretty “scratched” up.  Evidently a not-too-happy dog must have been spent some time below in the distant past as their claws did a number on the varnish work.

 

2013-02-24_14-45-54_103

 

A little vigorous sanding seemed to take care of the issue.

 

2013-02-24_17-14-59_610

 

Notice the “stain” just to the right of the lower ladder hinge.  In reality, that isn’t a stain, but lack of stain.  When the boat was being built, evidently somebody missed staining this area and when the varnish went on the wood stayed light in that area.  We found a few areas like that.

P1070073

 

 

Hanging Locker Rebuilding

 

The interior of the hanging locker behind the steps was pretty much destroyed by a deck leak that prior owners tried to solve by caulking different areas on the deck.  The actual culprit was a lack of bedding in some exterior trim well forward of the locker itself.  Once we found and fixed this we were able to turn our attention to this locker and started by gutting it.

 

P1060921     P1060923

 

Completed cabinet:

 

 

 

 

Berth Modifications

 

Later versions Pilgrims had the berth extended to the aft bulkhead in the cabin.  The only issue with that is you need king size sheets and it is impossible to do a decent job of making up the berth as the mattress is against the bulkhead.  We also needed a place to store the EZ2CY veranda enclosure when it wasn’t being used.  You cannot roll the acrylic panels so they needed to be stored flat.  It seemed that if we could go back to the earlier berth layout we would accomplish two things.  First, it would be easier to make up the berth, second we could use queen size sheets and third we could use the space against the bulkhead to store our veranda enclosure.

 

All Gozzard did was to add a few cleats on the original tooling for the berth and place a piece of plywood on top to cover the gap.

 

 

It was pretty easy to undo that.  Of course no good deed goes unpunished as the bulkhead below the berth level was unfinished and we also found out another result of the major deck leak that destroyed the hanging locker.  That inaccessible area was full of mold and mildew from years of water lying in the area.

 

 

After some paint and trim work:

 

 

We also had to do something about the mattress and mattress cover (twice).  The first time we simply cut down the old mattress and modified the zippered cover to fit.  Then, at what seemed to be the last minute when we were moving aboard, decided to cut up our old memory foam mattress off our bed at home.  This required some gluing as well as cutting and since it was considerably thicker we needed to make a new mattress cover.  The old mattress cover was zippered on one side only and it was a real feat to get it back if you took it off for washing.  Memory foam is a lot heavier so rather than trying to fight it into a tight fitting cover we decided to zipper it all the way around.  Actually finding suitable material for the cover that was wide enough without having seams was difficult but we got lucky at a remnant store and we also could buy zipper material by the foot to get all the way around.

 

 

We built a box to contain the lower portion of the enclosure and use webbing straps to hold the panels against the bulkhead. I originally had a highly complex, hinged arrangement designed for this but fortunately ran out of time before I could implement it.

 

 

Return to Prior Web Page