Forward Deck

Pilot House Vents, Bench Seat, Opening Hatch, Hand Rails, Trim Replacement (Leak Issues), Acrylic Covers

 

 Pilot House Vents

The originals were looking pretty sad.

Description: Description: Description: P:\Private\data\Pilgrim_40_information\Liberty\10032009_Pilgrim\Pilgrim_40 071.JPG

Description: Description: Description: P:\Private\data\Pilgrim_40_information\Liberty\web_pictures\10032009 Pilgrim_40\P1040195.JPG

The port side vent with the screen was difficult to maintain with the permanent screen.

Description: Description: Description: P:\Private\data\Pilgrim_40_information\Liberty\web_pictures\10032009 Pilgrim_40\P1040186.JPG

Clean up the frame, replace the teak panel in the starboard one and cover it with a screen.  Make the screens removable so that varnishing is easily accomplished.

Description: Description: Description: P:\Private\data\Pilgrim_40_information\Liberty\BOAT_PICS\P1040291.JPG

  While the starboard one is non-functional, it maintains symmetry.  Engineers (at least this one) love symmetric objects.

Description: Description: Description: P:\Private\data\Pilgrim_40_information\Liberty\web_pictures\10032009 Pilgrim_40\P1040356.JPG

 

Description: Description: Description: P:\Private\data\Pilgrim_40_information\Liberty\BOAT_PICS\P1040510.JPG

Opening Hatch, Bench Seat

The opening hatch in the overhead of the owner’s cabin had also seen better days. The Plexiglas was scratched and the joints for the trim pieces had opened.  Taking these off revealed a leak between the Plexiglas and the wood frame.

We used a polycarbonate that was well bedded in appropriate sealant and primer.  Rather than use wood for the trim, we decided that stainless would be easier to maintain.

Refinished forward bench seat, new cushion (same construction as was used on the Veranda cushions), and refinished opening hatch

Description: Description: Description: P:\Private\data\Pilgrim_40_information\Liberty\web_pictures\10032009 Pilgrim_40\P1040652.JPG

 

Hand Rails

The three hand rails on the pilot house were showing their age.  Stripping and re-varnishing in place looked to be a bit of work and maintaining them afterwards would require even more effort.

Description: Description: P:\Private\data\Pilgrim_40_information\Liberty\pictures_feb_12\P1060277.JPG

We could make some covers for them, but then we would have to deal with the covers on a continuing basis.  The next best thing would be to replace them with stainless ones.  Since we never really take the easy way out, we thought they would look best if mounted on elliptical mounting plates rather than just screwing them into the side of the cabin.

We wrote a program, machined the bases out of some stainless stock we had left over from the forward hatch trim project and then sent them out to be polished before tapping them for the hand rails.

Description: Description: P:\Private\data\Pilgrim_40_information\Liberty\pictures_feb_12\2012-01-31_16-50-42_569.jpg

Finished rails.  The picture doesn’t show how bad the teak really was.

Description: P:\Private\data\Pilgrim_40_information\Liberty\pictures_drafts_8_12\2012-02-26_14-47-07_940.jpg

Description: P:\Private\data\Pilgrim_40_information\Liberty\pictures_drafts_8_12\2012-03-25_14-54-21_532.jpg

We had a major lead that pretty much destroyed the interior of the starboard-aft locker in the forward stateroom.  Prior owners had tried to caulk the trim at the intersection of the house and deck but that is not were the leak actually was.  Judicious use of a hose allowed us to isolate the leak to the joint in the trim at the top of the house above the stateroom and along the seam between two fiberglass shells where the sides of the pilot house met the house over the stateroom.

Removing the vertical piece revealed an area devoid of any sealant and you could see were the water was working its way down to the deck along the seam. 

 

2013-01-12_15-20-45_968 (1)

2013-01-12_15-28-21_270

 Replacement pieces of trim were made from Starboard eliminating any future painting issues.

If you are working with Starboard, one of the things you quickly learn is that to get a perfectly smooth edge, you must either sand it with progressively finer grits of sandpaper and then essentially polish it, or trim it with a router (if on a curve) or run it across a jointer (if straight).

Since the stateroom house has a lot of curvature we needed to cut the curve in using a router.  A notched stick that could be bent to the correct curvature was used to guide the router.

2013-02-16_15-04-58_309

2013-02-16_15-27-14_245

While installing we caulked the heck out of the joints, pumping in lots of polyurethane sealant.  In this picture the trim at the deck had not been re-installed.  It is still wood but eventually will probably be replaced with ¼” Starboard.  The drip edge above the pilot house vents was also replace with Starboard at the same time.

IMG_20130427_141507_890 (1)

While we were up there we might as well make new covers for both the opening hatch and the seat back.

 

Return to Prior Web Page