Three Dimensional Visuals in Education
History and Archaeology
VRML - Requires Cortona plug-in
VRML allows you to move about freely through a virtual scene
- BBC Viking Farm
- Click "View" to see animation of the village
- Click "Fly" to go through walls to interiors. Check out the insulation!
- Click "Study" to rotate the scene.
- Virtual Ljubljana (Capital of Slovenia)
- BBC World War I Trench
- Parallel Graphics 3D Site of the Week
Quick Time VR - Requires Quicktime plug-in
Quick Time VR Allows you to get a sense of place in a way a photograph cannot. Try rotating through a scene to get the full effect
- STOA Org Greek Monuments - In case you Penn State won't send you in person
- Angkor Wot Cambian Sculpture Exhibit
- Chicano Park San Diego - Shows murals on highway underpasses
Quicktime Animation - Requires Quicktime plug-in
Essential Norman Conquest Battle - Click timeline to view animation. Who was winning most of the day?
Math and Science
- Wolfram Teserrect - 4D Cube (JAVA) - Animation shows 3D cube shadow
- 3D Pexseo Game (VRML) - a Concentration type game, but with a spinning board. Requires Cortona plugin.
- Molecule of the Month - requires Java or Cortona plugin
Lately, I've been experimenting with VRML and finding it very useful for some tasks. It's great for instructors who understand the mathematics of three-dimensional spaces.
SUR 351 Project
We've been using VRML and other tools for this course on geodesic surveying (mapping the globe in space). See the SUR 351 Project for updates.
Requires Cortona plugin.
- Andy Harris (IUPUI)
- More Andy Harris
- Wiley VRML 2.0 Examples
- Basic VRML Examples