Phonetics Fonts & Utilities
Back to Linguistics Links
These are Unicode fonts which makes documents interchangeable with other Unicode fonts.
- Arial Unicode MS (Microsoft) - On most PCs, but not pretty
- Lucida Grande (Apple) - On most Macs, but not pretty
- TITUS Cyberbit - includes characters from many scripts such as Armenian, Cyrillic, Greek, Coptic and more.
- Doulos SIL - Includes Greek, Cyrillic
- Gentium - From SIL. Very readable.
- Junicode - Includes characters for medieval languages
- Aboriginal Serif - Includes Cherokee, Canadian Aboriginal, Central Asian Cyrillic
- Chrysanthi (Chryʃsanþi) - Includes ancient languages, and math/astronomical symbols
Insert Phonetic Characters
These utilities allow you to insert phonetic characters one by one.
Type Phonetic Characters
These utilities allow you to type phonetic characters directly from your keyboard.
- UCL Phonetics Keyboard (Windows) - freeware
- IPA-SIL Keyboard
- Mac Extended Keyboard Accents - Good for many diacritics and basic English
Phonetics in the Labs
The following items are installed in the CLC Labs