The topic for the annual e-Learning and Instructional Support conference at Oakland University is openness in education. At this year's conference the break-out sessions will be divided into three tracks: Open Education, Open Access (journals), and Open Source (computer code).
Date: Thursday May 26, 2011 in the Oakland Center at Oakland University, Rochester, Michigan.
The e-Cornucopia OPEN Digital University conference will have three tracks: Open Source, Open Access and Open Education.
Track One--Open Education
Possible Topics: (Any other topics relevant to Open Education also will be welcome.)
• Non-traditional learning spaces such as Hackerspaces.
• Implications for the economic future of the university under the open education model
• What are the legal and intellectual property implications of open education for faculty?
• Global sharing of open digital learning objects and easily accessible resources for teaching.
Track Two--Open Access Possible Topics: (Any other topics relevant to Open Access also will be welcome.)
• Open Access Publishing - Why faculty should care - tenure and impact factor
• Institutional Repositories - Development and current trends, role in OA.. Role of librarians in promoting OA and digital preservation..
• Open Access Research - Scientific and medical research - government mandates, Public library of science http://www.plos.org/, OA data sets.
• Open Access - Intellectual Property/Copyright & Creative Commons
Track Three--Open Source
Possible Topics: (Any other topics relevant to Open Source also will be welcome.)
• Open Source Media Editing - an introduction to the Kdenlive video editor, Audacity audio editor, and GIMP Image editor.
• Open Social Networking - Run your own "Facebook" with Status.net.
• Open Hardware - the benefits of using Open Hardware like the Arduino micro-controller and 3D printers like the Reprap or Makerbot.
• Open Conferencing Software - Big Blue Button is a emerging Open Source competitor to dimdim, WizIQ, and Elluminate.
• Open Learning Management System - Moodle... "How we deployed it and why" or "Moodle 2.0".
• Open Mobile - Android and Meego vs. iOS and Windows Mobile. Open vs. Closed. The pros and cons for the companies, the developers and the users.
Proposal Submission Deadline: Please submit a 200 word abstract of your presentation proposal by Feb. 15, 2011. A presentation session will last 40 minutes with an additional 10 minutes for questions. A projector and laptop will be available.
Apply to the Call for Proposals at: