Officially, only select Penn State marketing communications representatives and licensed university vendors have access to the refreshed visual identity vector art. Downloads are available from the Visual Identity pages. .
This page of the old style '1855' images will remain as is, and will not be updated with new artwork. I believe it has a small amount of historic significance- around 1999 or 2000, I purchased the vector art on a DVD from Document Services for $40 out-of-pocket. I asked for and received permission to freely distribute the work. At the time, DocServ had no digital distribution through official channels, so I put it all in my web space.
Download the Old-Style '1855' Identity Mark
Use of the Mark
When using Penn State's Visual Identity Mark, please be aware of the important standards for designers. Review the instructions available at the Publications Web site or download a printable copy of the pages from the old Licensing Manual.
- 4 ICO files - 2 shields, 2 paw prints.
- This zipped file contains two favicons- microsoft icon files. The "16" has the smallest file size because it contains only one size. The "32" has an additional "24" and "32" pixel size built in, but will display the 16 as needed. Lately I've seen a few blue shield favicons on black backgrounds. This may be intended and is perfectly fine. It could also be that the ico files are being converted to png files and the area masked in the ico becomes black in the png. Some graphic packages, and some browsers, can't handle ico files. There's an ico plug-in available for Photoshop, and there's a good article on favicons available if you're unsure. Note the info on correct MIME type. (The tiny shield and paw print used as illustrations at the top of this paragraph are transparent png files.)
Photoshop Custom Shapes
I adjusted the reverse mark's proportions in this new set of Photoshop Custom Shapes. Grab it here. You can always find out about Custom Shapes from lynda dot com, but I have a pretty old clip that shows how to install and use them on my Tutorials page. The only caveat I can think of is that the file name has changed to PENNSTATESHAPES.zip.
This is a zip file with a set of Basic Penn State Custom Shapes, and two recorded Actions. The Actions place a vector Penn State Mark so the shield is 27 pixels wide, and the mark is 10 pixels from the top and from the left edge of the document. Placement and color can, of course, be changed after placement. With these most recent Actions, they'll place a black mark and a white reverse mark. The reverse mark comes out slightly transparent because of antialiasing: I usually double the white mark. Grab the shapes and actions here.
For some reason people are distorting the mark when they use it in video. Video pixels are not square- artwork of the Mark used in video needs to be proportioned with rectangular pixels. This zip file has artwork of the Mark—both solid and reverse versions—proportioned for DVCPRO HD, HDV HDTV, NTSC DV, NTSC D1 and NTSC DV Widescreen, then saved with transparent backgrounds as PNG files. If you need other proportions, send me an email and I'll update the zip to include what you need.
Download the zipped Marks for video.
Penn State's Document Services has the official Visual Identity Mark on a CD that's available for a fee. It includes PNG and GIF files suitable for Powerpoint; EPS versions of the Solid Mark; EPS versions of the Reverse Mark; and EPS versions of the campus specific Solid Marks. The files are separated into sizes based on the width of the shield and two lengths, designated 'Long' and 'Short' referring to the length of the underscore rule. It's a handy CD for a department to have!
Designers at Penn State may also choose to download these Zipped versions of the files from the DocServ CD:
- Solid Marks, Short (105K)
- Marks for printing dark on light. This Zip archive includes six EPS files of the mark with a short rule, named according to the width of the shield:
- Solid Marks, Long (86K)
- Marks for printing dark on light. This Zip archive includes six EPS files of the mark with an extended rule, named according to the width of the shield:
- Reverse Marks, Short (106K)
- Marks for printing light on dark. This Zip archive includes five EPS files of the mark with a short rule, named according to the width of the shield:
- Reverse Marks, Long (73K)
- Marks for printing light on dark. This Zip archive includes six EPS files of the mark with an extended rule, named according to the width of the shield: 1⁄4", 3⁄8", 1⁄2", 5⁄8", 3⁄4", and 1"
- Assorted Marks, Large GIF Files (193K)
- Assortment of 10 solid and reverse marks, with rules and without. Most around 1500 px wide:
two black with blue shield,
two white with blue shield,
two all white reverse marks.
Two of each type so there's one with a rule and one without.
- Reverse Marks with No Rule, PNG Files (51K)
- Reverse marks, all white on transparent backgrounds. These do not have a rule, and come in these sizes:
209 px X 144 px,
294 px X 194 px,
385 px X 278 px,
576 px X 431 px,
and 914 px X 611 px.
- Reverse Marks, PNG Files (57K)
- Reverse marks, all white on transparent backgrounds. These have a rule, and come in these sizes:
306 px X 119 px,
430 px X 187 px,
550 px X 250 px,
760 px X 339 px,
and 1212 px X 526 px.
- Campus Specific Solid Marks
- Each Zip archive includes a set of twelve EPS files- a set of six marks with long rules and a set of six marks with short rules, in each of these sizes: 1⁄4",
Select from this list of campuses: Abington, Altoona, Beaver, Berks-Lehigh Valley, Berks, Capital College, College of Medicine, Delaware County, Dickinson, DuBois, Erie, Fayette, Great Valley, Harrisburg, Hazleton, Hershey, Lehigh Valley, McKeesport, Mont Alto, New Kensington, Penn College, Schuylkill, Shenango, University Park, Wilkes-Barre, World Campus (one size only), Worthington-Scranton, and York.
- All of the files. (5.5 Megs)
- All of the images from the CD prepared by Document Services in one large download.