Dr. Daniel Joseph Galiffa
Assistant Professor of Mathematics
Penn State Erie, The Behrend College
Penn State Erie, The Behrend College
4205 College Drive
Erie, PA 16563
· Ph.D. in Mathematics, U. of Central Florida, May 2009
· M.S. in Mathematics, U. of Central Florida, May 2006
· B.S. in Mathematics with Physics Minor, Indiana U. of PA, May 2004
SPRING 2014 SCHEDULE (MOST RECENT TEACHING SEMESTER)
SPRING 2014 COURSE SYLLABI (MOST RECENT TEACHING SEMESTER)
· Mathematical Analysis:
- Classical and Quantum Hypergeometric Orthogonal Polynomials
- Ordinary and Partial Differential Equations
- Functional Equations
- Difference Equations
- Numerical Analysis
- Mathematical Biology
Links to purchase the Brief:
APPLICATION TO MEDICINE:
The work “Nonlocal Modeling of Insect Borne Diseases,” listed below, appears in
Chapter 8 of “Fevers: Types, Treatments and Health Risks,” Nova Science Publishers, Inc., 2013.
Link to purchase the book or chapter:
· An Existence Theorem for a Nonlocal Global Pandemic Model for Insect-Borne Diseases, with John R. Cannon, to appear in the International Journal of Differential Equations.
· An Elementary Approach to Characterizing the Sheffer A-Type 0 Orthogonal Polynomial Sequences, to appear in Involve.
· A Characterization of an Askey-Wilson Difference Equation, with Boon W. Ong, to appear in the Journal of Difference Equations and Applications.
· Two Differential Equations for the Linear Generating Function of the Charlier Polynomials, with Elliot J. Blackstone*, 13, p. 60-67, 2013.
· Nonlocal Modeling of Insect Borne Diseases, with John R. Cannon, in “Fevers: Types, Treatments and Health Risks,” Nova Science Publishers, Inc., 2013.
· On the Higher-Order Sheffer Orthogonal Polynomial Sequences, Springer Briefs in Mathematics, Springer, New York, 2013.
· An Epidemiology Model Suggested by Yellow Fever, with John R. Cannon, Mathematical Methods in the Applied Sciences, 35, p. 196-206, 2012.
· On a Numerical Method for a Homogeneous, Nonlinear, Nonlocal, Elliptic Boundary Value Problem, with John R. Cannon, Journal of Nonlinear Analysis; Theory Methods and Applications, 74, no. 5, p. 1702-1713, 2011.
· The Sheffer B-Type 1 Orthogonal Polynomial Sequences, Thesis (Ph.D.) University of Central Florida. 2009. 117 pp. ISBN: 978-1109-16162-5, Proquest ® LLC.
· A Numerical Method for a Nonlocal Elliptic Boundary Value Problem, with John R. Cannon, Journal of Integral Equations and Applications, 20, no. 2, p. 243-261, 2008.
* Undergraduate student author
*In The Encyclopedia of Mathematics and Society, published by Salem
Press and produced by Golson Media, 2011
WPSE RADIO INTERVIEW
To disseminate some of my recent work in Mathematical Biology and promote the Penn State Erie School of Science, the following segments appeared on the radio station WPSE:
Penn State Erie, The Behrend College has now become an official chapter of the national Mathematics honor society Pi Mu Epsilon. Pi Mu Epsilon is open to ANY major. For induction into our chapter, students are required to:
Ø Have completed at least MATH 140 and MATH 141 (Calculus I & II) and two additional courses in mathematics, at or above the calculus level, all of which lead to the fulfillment of the requirements for a major in the mathematical sciences
Ø Have maintained a grade point average of at least 3.00 in all mathematics courses that lead to the fulfillment of the requirements for a major in the mathematical sciences
Ø Have maintained a grade point average of at least 3.00 in all courses that lead to the fulfillment of the requirements for an undergraduate degree
I hold the position of Permanent Faculty Correspondent and Mr. Peter T. Olszewski, the Chapter Advisor (email@example.com). If you meet the requirements and are interested in becoming a member, please contact either of us.
We held our inaugural induction ceremony on 10-12-12 at the Logan House - Click here to see the Pamphlet.
President: Matt Lachesky
Vice President: Jeremiah Allshouse
Secretary: Benjamin Frances
Treasurer: Cody Colpo
Dr. Daniel Galiffa
Dr. Antonio Mastroberardino
Our second Pi Mu Epsilon induction ceremony took place on 4-27-13 in the Reed auditorium:
Our third Pi Mu Epsilon induction ceremony took place on 4-12-14 in the Otto Behrend Science Building:
Stefany M. Alexander
Dominick L. Ali
Nicholas M. Angelo
Thomas V. Arzenti
Marissa J. Baker
Nikki L. Campbell
Thomas G. Dauber
Nicholas J. Erich
Lisa C. Giancola
Nathan M. Hannold
Samantha S. Key
Tulsa R. Lose
Matthew T. McWilliams
Mac J. Megahan
Joshua M. Natalie
Jared P. Pacella
Daniel J. Scutella
Nicholas P. Swanson
Alexia M. Teed
Tyler J. Tracy
Nicholas D. Vasko
Kara R. Wenzel
Amanda J. Wylie
Tyler J. Yost
Dr. Adam Combs
Dr. Amos Ong
Our Alpha Beta chapter is on the ‘New Chapter’ page:
For more information about Pi Mu Epsilon, see the official page: http://www.pme-math.org/
I am currently a faculty advisor for the Triangle Fraternity at Penn State Erie, The Behrend College.
Here is some information for those who want to know more:
· Daniel J. Galiffa, Ph.D. 2009, Advisor: Mourad E.H. Ismail
· Mourad E.H. Ismail, Ph.D. 1974, Advisor: Waleed Al-Salam
· Waleed Al-Salam, Ph.D. 1958, Advisor: Loenard Carlitz
· Loenard Carlitz, Ph.D. 1930, Advisor: Howard Mitchell
· Howard Mitchell, Ph.D. 1910, Advisor: Oswald Veblen
· Oswald Veblen, Ph.D. 1903, Advisor: Eliakim Hastings Moore
· Eliakim Hastings Moore, Ph.D. 1885, Advisor: H.A. Newton
· H.A. Newton, B.S. Yale 1850, Advisor: Michel Chasles
· Michel Chasles, Ph.D. 1814, Advisor: Simeon Poisson
· Simeon Poisson, Advisor: Joseph Lagrange
· Joseph Lagrange, Ph.D. Advisor: Leonhard Euler
ERDÖS NUMBER: 4
EINSTEIN NUMBER: 5
WEBSITES OF INTEREST
· Penn State Erie Mathematics Department: http://psbehrend.psu.edu/school-of-science/academic-programs-1/mathematics
· Mathematical Association of America: http://www.maa.org/
· American Mathematical Society: http://www.ams.org/
· MathSciNet: http://www.ams.org/mathscinet/
· The University of Central Florida: http://www.ucf.edu/
· The Young Mathematician’s Network: http://www.youngmath.net/
· Society of Industrial and applied Mathematics (SIAM): http://www.siam.org/
· Kappa Mu Epsilon: http://www.kappamuepsilon.org/
· “When will I Ever Use Math?” http://weusemath.org/
· Behrend Math Blog: http://www.personal.psu.edu/mar36/blogs/behrend_math_blog/
· Careers in Mathematics (from SIAM): http://www.personal.psu.edu/axm62/siam-math-careers.pdf
· Why you can’t divide by zero: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcJRKLr68XQ
· TeXNiCenter: http://www.texniccenter.org/
· MiKTeX: http://miktex.org/
· Bob Dylan’s Official Webpage: http://www.bobdylan.com/
· Jeff Beck’s Official Webpage: http://www.jeffbeck.com/
· Jeff Beck’s Unofficial Webpage: http://www.ainian.com/
· Aerosmith’s Official Webpage: www.aerosmith.com/
· Joe Perry’s Official Webpage: http://www.joeperry.com/