I was on the phone with a friend today and she was talking about how her dog had accidently eaten a couple miniture Twix Bars. She was freaking out and wondering what to do. I decided to look online and found some interestind data.
The truth is that chocolate contains theobromine which in large amounts is toxic to dogs. On the positive side, in order for chocolate to have serious effects on dogs, they must consume a sufficent amount of it. In other words, if your dog scarfs down a couple of M & M's... he or she is going to be alright. Also, one must consider specific factors such as animal size, chocolate concentration, and animal sensitivity. One article states that clinical signs that your dog may be in trouble include "hyper excitability, hyper irritability, increased heart rate, restlessness, increased urination, muscle tremors, vomiting and diarrhea."
If anyone wants to check out specific statistics on the types of chocolate and harmful amounts dogs may induce the website i found is..
Just thought this was interesting! Enjoy and have a great weekend everybody!:)